HTC Magic (Sapphire) battery charging issues

Search This thread

50seven

Dec 31, 2009
Toronto
OK, first I admit, the battery is a POS. I usually have enough battery life to make it through a full day, but usually it will die in the evening before I go to bed and put it on charge.

Recently I got a message, "Charging current is not enough for device power consumption. Please connect your AC adapter." Strange thing, though, it WAS connected to my AC charger. I get the same message with both of my chargers.

Battery will not charge, but has just enough power to keep the phone running as long as there is charge already in the battery. So the battery is almost dead, I put it on the charger all night long, get up in the morning and take it off, and then it beeps extra low battery! and then dies shortly after.

The only way I can get it to work is to leave the phone powered off for a long period of time and charge it then. Doesn't always work though. works if I take out the battery and charge it all by itself on a USB phone battery charger.

Sounds like the problem is somewhere in the phone, not with the chargers. Why would both of them do the same thing?

Please help.

digitaljeff

Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
does it do the same thing when plugged in and charging via USB??

could be a bad battery...

from old phones i had previous to my magic it sometimes helped to clean the contacts on the battery and charging pins on the phone..

50seven

Dec 31, 2009
Toronto
I'll check that...

BTW, if I am plugged into an AC adapter, is it supposed to stay on even if I remove the battery?

Last edited:

50seven

Dec 31, 2009
Toronto
NOPE! same message. Been charging all day now and only shows just over half charge on the battery. Most of this is from the hour or so that I had the battery out and charging on its own.