• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.

[HTC-MSM7K][22.09.2009] GfxBoost v1.2 - Service - Next attempt :)

aussiebum

Dec 5, 2008
Hmm, 1.1 doesn't blow up on my Touch HD but it also doesn't seem to be doing anything either.... Diamond Hologram is reporting the usual 25fps again instead of 50fps when using 0.5/0.7.

Back to 0.7 again then. :(

Appreciate your efforts Chainfire! Gonna donate as soon as I get home....

kevm14

Apr 28, 2009
edit:
i tried now driver from HERE and its definitely improving file explorer scroll
As I replied in the Diamond thread for that fix, my 3/9/09 Sprint Touch Pro came with that ATI driver set in the registry and my Lights performance was fluid. But I want this QTV thing to work, I think there are still improvements to be made.

andrew-in-woking

Jan 14, 2006
AudioManagerCurrencyWorkerWind

Hi Chainfire

When I use HTC Audio Manager to play music GxfBoost stops working and the Applet says:

Enabled (Inactive) (AudioManagerCurrencyWorkerWind)

GfxBoost 1.1 Service. Device and ROM details below.

Many thanks

andrew-in-woking

undac

Dec 27, 2007
Version 1.1 fixed the enabling/disabling for me and everything else works as expected.

The camera problem still persists though. I just get a black screen and then gfxboost erroneously reports that it's active though it's clearly not. (Enabling/disabling doesn't work and only chance to restore it is to soft reset)

Roflnova

Oct 4, 2008
Hi Chainfire

When I use HTC Audio Manager to play music GxfBoost stops working and the Applet says:

Many thanks

andrew-in-woking
Same problem here. Made multiple postings in the thread with no response, may want to PM him.

crazililazn

Nov 27, 2008
Same problem here. Made multiple postings in the thread with no response, may want to PM him.
I also have the same problem. i remember someone saying that some programs, like the audio player uses the same dll as gfxboost, so therefore gfxboost is not active. ( not sure if it is exactly correct, but similar to that)

redvil

Jul 20, 2008
version 1.1 works on polaris wm6.5
installs ok, SR, process & service works, camera works

now i use MS3 + M2D together and its like it was, after SR graphics works slow then i turn screen off & on and it works fast as it was but i see no improvements,
windows wm6.5 default today plugin works not very smooth as it was,
file explorers (resco and windows explorer) scrolls same speed as it was,
3d games (virtual pool & 3d mines) works same as it was,
igo8 same as it was

so....it works but doesnt improve

p.s
on uninstall there is some problem with some file .svc

edit:
i tried now driver from HERE and its definitely improving file explorer scroll
hi guys

I've installed ati 3d driver and gfxboost....can I install this neosdriver together or I have to unistall other driver? thanks

NotATreoFan

Senior Moderator / Developer & Moderator Committee
Staff member
Jul 12, 2006
Wrong Side of Heaven, Righteous Side of Hell
Hi Chainfire

Many thanks

andrew-in-woking
I also have the same problem. i remember someone saying that some programs, like the audio player uses the same dll as gfxboost, so therefore gfxboost is not active. ( not sure if it is exactly correct, but similar to that)

Directly from the horse's mouth:

TFM (The F*ing Manual, read it!)

"What's this Enabled (Inactive) status?
It means another application is running that needs this chipset feature. For example, Windows Media Player, YouTube, Camera, etc. As soon as you exit all of those, GfxBoost should re-activate itself.

Angelusz

Nov 16, 2008
Nijmegen
Tried this on my X1 with WM6.1 (25000+, don't remember exact number.)

It slows down TF3D2 severely. When it's active, it just makes manila half as smooth. Other apps don't seem to be affected much, if not slower as well.

Too bad, I was really hoping for the best :D

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer -
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Hmm, 1.1 doesn't blow up on my Touch HD but it also doesn't seem to be doing anything either.... Diamond Hologram is reporting the usual 25fps again instead of 50fps when using 0.5/0.7.

No noticeble difference on my Touch Pro with Proven ROM. Camera not working when "enabled".
Version 1.1 fixed the enabling/disabling for me and everything else works as expected.

The camera problem still persists though. I just get a black screen and then gfxboost erroneously reports that it's active though it's clearly not. (Enabling/disabling doesn't work and only chance to restore it is to soft reset)
To all three of you, aussiebum / WDawn / undac I realise you may have posted them before, but could you please quote your own post and add exact device and ROM details? I'm going to try flashing these ROMs to see what the difference is (it now works like a charm on all my own devices and curent ROMs).

Hi Chainfire

Yes, this is because AudioManager is currently doing something with the feature GfxBoost uses. I'm not exactly sure what (I've not used AudioManager) or how it uses it, though - it probably needs it for something. It seems the 'trickery' used by GfxBoost can only be used by one program at the same time. That problem is solved by HTC making a service that manages when who uses what. The thing with this is, however, that an app can only say "hey, me wants!" and gets called back "hey, you can not have anymore!" when another app uses it. It does not allow you to check if the other app that has requested it is actually using it, or if its safe to take it back, or etc. Exactly how all this works internally is still not clear, more research is required before this can be properly fixed. In the meantime, you should probably force-close AudioManager when you are done with it (or set the X button to close an app instead of minimize it).

hi guys

I've installed ati 3d driver and gfxboost....can I install this neosdriver together or I have to unistall other driver? thanks
Not sure - I suspect they will work together fine though.

Sorry for this noob question, but does this only work on VGA? I use QVGA and was wondering if this would work. Thanks!
It depends on your device - some people so great results with Kaiser, which is QVGA.

Tried this on my X1 with WM6.1 (25000+, don't remember exact number.)

It slows down TF3D2 severely. When it's active, it just makes manila half as smooth. Other apps don't seem to be affected much, if not slower as well.

Too bad, I was really hoping for the best :D
The slowdown is probably a bug of mine somehow (or maybe not). It should under no circumstances slow your device down, as far as I've seen. I have seen some strange things happening though, resulting in constantly repeating AVs in various drivers and whatnot, which will seriously slow down your device. Check back in the future (as I cannot play with X1 myself :))

Angelusz

Nov 16, 2008
Nijmegen
Alrighty, I'll stay tuned and keep testing a bit more when I find the time. Perhaps the slowdown has to do with something I did to my device. It's hard to tell ofcourse.

Thanks for the continued support though, you're doing a lot of great work here!

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer -
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Some clarifications and added information

I just wanted to explain some stuff some of you may and/or may not be aware of. Please consider that I am not a Qualcomm engineer and how I see things are probably not always 100% correct, and my own research on these things is still in progress / evolving.

GfxBoost is in its infancy, we've really only scratched the service. Right now what the program exploits is actually a very round-about way of 'getting it done', involving all kinds of drivers and WM core files that are strictly speaking not necessary to pull it off, as I have simply not figured out how to perform this trick on a lower level yet. I know the general direction, but its still under investigation.

Because of this 'round-about' way of doing things, it also depends on a lot of variables, not all of which should actually be involved, but currently are.

As people who follow this thread will have noticed, if it actually works at all and how much difference it makes depends heavily on device/ROM combination. The older devices with QTV support having the most benefit, it seems.

To explain this further I have to dig a bit further into the background. QTV itself is actually not all that relevant in this whole process, it is the features it enables that are important - I just chose QTV as wording in the opening post because it may ring a bell for people. What QTV actually is is a very high performance MP4 decoder. This in itself is nothing special - look at the CoreCodec guys! However what QTV also does is enable something VSync-like and it seems most importantly, a sort of DMA mode (you may be familiar with this term from your normal computer).

For those who have no idea what DMA is, it is a method to transfer data between memory areas by-passing the CPU itself - greatly enhancing speed of memory transfer (used for everything) while the CPU is also doing other things (like decoding MP4 frames, or calculating game dynamics, or whatever).

The reason older devices in general see a bigger difference, is I think because HTC's drivers are actually improving. As some other discussion threads have shown (see Neo's improving Blackstone graphics, for example), there are various speed-ups to be had, some of them even involving this feature. Comparing a few ROMs has shown me that more and more HTC programs and drivers are starting to use this feature (which has technically been available for a very very long time now). However I must also note that I have not had the time to properly inspect the latest available driver sets yet (I am a busy person you know!)

You should also be aware that it seems the Android video driver for the G1 uses this feature permanently.

The way GfxBoost currently uses to get things 'up and going' can at best be seen as an unintended side-effect of QTV, getting 'lucky' with certain settings. Of course my final goal is to get this fully operational all the time on all supported devices, and in GDI mode ('typical' Windows Mobile 2D applications) at that. If that will ever happen, who knows. Should any reader be an avid hacker / code with a lot of free time, try porting the G1 video driver :)

Perhaps in light of the above you can understand that any difference in graphics drivers versions, HTC apps, etc can be of influence on GfxBoost actually working at this stage.

In final, if you read the above, you should have reached the conclusion that if HTC made a proper video driver for the MSM7K devices, GfxBoost would be completely and utterly useless - and have 0 effect even under ideal circumstances!.

aussiebum

Dec 5, 2008

Hey Chainfire, been doing all my testing on the Touch HD w/ Dutty's 3.0 XT Ship + Diamond d3d + Neo's OpenVG 2007 drivers.

Method is always 1) uninstall GfxBoost, 2) Soft Reset, 3) install (new) GfxBoost, 4) Soft Reset, 5) Test. I always check to make sure GfxBoost service reports "active" + test enable/disable b4 testing.

Thanks mate.

EDIT: Saw your post about AudioManager.exe. I'll try again and force AudioManager.exe to shutdown (if it is running... can't remember).