• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Htc One M8 How to stop update?

Search This thread

miapuffia

Jul 22, 2013
Avera
Razer Phone
ASUS ROG Phone 5
I don't want to upgrade to lollipop and I've frozen the updater app, but I still get these terrible popups that ask me to update. I've rooted, s-offed, installed twrp, and completely modded the system, so there's no way the update would work anyway. If anyone has a way to get rid of these popups, please help.

Running 4.4.4

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 5
I don't want to upgrade to lollipop and I've frozen the updater app, but I still get these terrible popups that ask me to update. I've rooted, s-offed, installed twrp, and completely modded the system, so there's no way the update would work anyway. If anyone has a way to get rid of these popups, please help.

Running 4.4.4

Yes. Flash a custom ROM. There are several that are very near stock (I recommend MaximusHD). Being on the stock ROM is what is prompting you to update via OTA.

miapuffia

Jul 22, 2013
Avera
Razer Phone
ASUS ROG Phone 5
I would love to try a custom rom but the htc One M8 I'm asking about is my dad's and he was reluctant to even let me do what I've done so far. I need a stock solution. Would doing the update and letting it fail keep the pop-up out of my hair for a while? Is there an activity I can freeze in some system app from Rom Toolbox or something?

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 5
I would love to try a custom rom but the htc One M8 I'm asking about is my dad's and he was reluctant to even let me do what I've done so far. I need a stock solution. Would doing the update and letting it fail keep the pop-up out of my hair for a while? Is there an activity I can freeze in some system app from Rom Toolbox or something?

No. It won't.
Tell your Dad not to worry.
Since you are still running the stock ROM, go to settings > about > more, and post what it says next to build number.

miapuffia

Jul 22, 2013
Avera
Razer Phone
ASUS ROG Phone 5
The build number for me wasn't exactly where you said but that's ok. On a side note it really sucks that you can't copy things like build number right from the settings.

Build Number: 3.28.605.4 CL390638 release-keys

ckpv5

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur

Running 4.4.4

Freeze CheckinProvider.apk too

Last edited:
Reactions: xunholyx

ckpv5

Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
Try use a root explorer to rename those two apks to .bak then reboot.

CheckinProvider.apk --> CheckinProvider.bak
updater.apk --> updater.bak

That's how I do it.

Last edited:

ckpv5

Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
Then the software updates tab is gone, right ?
Also try change this in build.prop

ro.config.htc.enableCOTA=1
to
ro.config.htc.enableCOTA=0

Other than this, no more idea.

ckpv5

Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
I mean when you go to settings - about - you don't see software updates on top after you froze those apks.

I'm outside and replying you on mobile. Can't attach a screenshot.

Can you attach here your build.prop then I'll check it later when I'm home
(in next two hours)

miapuffia

Jul 22, 2013
Avera
Razer Phone
ASUS ROG Phone 5
I don't see anything about an update in About but I don't remember seeing one earlier either. Either way an update button is not what is annoying. The pop-up is my only concern. My dad won't update android manually and it would fail anyway but a phone that bullies it's user ever few minutes to update is unbearable. Is there an easy way to upload a file here from my phone without linking to a Google Drive file?

ckpv5

Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
You don't see that because you already froze the apks.

I never attach anything from phone, only from PC. Just zip the build.prop and attach here, no need dropbox or gdrive.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Running 4.4.4

Freeze CheckinProvider.apk too