• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

HTC ONE M8 stuck in bootloop

Search This thread

M4C00kie

Jan 18, 2016
Hey guys

I know there are similar posts out there but none who describe my exact problem^^
It's like this: Earlier today, I wanted to go back to stock, fully. Which means I downloaded the stock backup and put it on my phone with TWRP. Then, I changed to stock recovery by using the HTC ONE M8 toolkit from hasoon2000.
As far, as good, everything worked just fine. And to have it completely back to stock (except for the still unlocked bootloader) I came up with the glorious idea of restoring to factory settings using the options in the phone's settings... aaaand now I'm stuck in the bootloop.

I meanwhile figured out how to enter the bootloader (volume up + power til screen turns fully black, then volume down) and I'm also able to access stock recovery through that... I of course tried factory resetting it through the bootloader and the recovery, I also took the sim card out as somewhere was suggested... but ultimately, it always goes back to the bootloop.
When connecting to the PC I hear the connecting sound... but that's it. It doesn't show up and thus I also can't access it through fastboot/adb

I ran out of ideas myself, do you have any?^^
Thanks!

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Then, I changed to stock recovery by using the HTC ONE M8 toolkit from hasoon2000.

Why you would you the toolkit for that? The toolkit is woefully obsolete (hasn't been updated in over a year, going on 2 years) and therefore causes more problems than it solves. Flashing stock recovery is really easy, its a single fastboot command. Don't over-complicate it.

I also can't access it through fastboot/adb

Are you sure you are in bootloader-fastboot mode when you try fastboot commands (this is required)?

adb requires being in OS or recovery (and I'm not sure if stock recovery supports adb). And for the most part, fastboot is what you need to recover.

Need more info to help further. What CID version of the phone? If OS version number is shown on hboot screen, post it here. What are the version numbers or the stock nandroid, and the stock recovery you installed? If you can get fastboot work, do fastboot getvar all, and post the output.

Reactions: M4C00kie

M4C00kie

Jan 18, 2016
Why you would you the toolkit for that? The toolkit is woefully obsolete (hasn't been updated in over a year, going on 2 years) and therefore causes more problems than it solves. Flashing stock recovery is really easy, its a single fastboot command. Don't over-complicate it.

That's because I was using an older guide... good to know^^

Are you sure you are in bootloader-fastboot mode when you try fastboot commands (this is required)?

That's what's strange... on the phone, it's showing FASTBOOT USB and it even makes this sound when connecting... fastboot commands still don't work though: "error: device not found"

the CID number is HTC__102, he version number of the stock nandroid and recovery was 4.16.401.10

regarding the OS number: on the hboot screen there's just written OS- <- is this the place where it's supposed to be?

thanks a lot for helping! :)

Last edited:

M4C00kie

Jan 18, 2016
OK. fastboot commands ARE working (adb aren't, as predicted by you^^)

C:\Users\aaron_000\fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.19.0.000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.25.2145000
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B10000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__102
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 3aa067db
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!

Update: as it was suggested to me on another thread, I downloaded an RUU (https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=...c00ca09c7539be86640965d7bb19a1ad4a4f68918d819)
my version & radio number are matching the ones in this RUU
so...
what now?^^ before I flash the RUU, I have to relock my bootloader, have I? and is this possible with S-ON?

oh, and would doing this even help in my current situation?

Thanks for helping

Last edited:

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
OK. fastboot commands ARE working (adb aren't, as predicted by you^^)

Did you do anything different to get it working?

Update: as it was suggested to me on another thread, I downloaded an RUU (https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=f...4a4f68918d8199)

Does this mean you are hopping around in other threads? Or you just read it elsewhere?

The above is not linking me to any specific file. Might be the same link as the on the following thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2701376

before I flash the RUU, I have to relock my bootloader, have I? and is this possible with S-ON?

Relocking the bootloader is not just possible with s-on, its an absolute requirement to RUU.

Simple fastboot command: fastboot oem lock

oh, and would doing this even help in my current situation?

Most likely, yet. I'd say almost certainly.

Also, you should delete your IMEI and serial number from your getvar info, as these are personal data. I should have mentioned that, but I didn't know you'd get fastboot working so quickly!

Reactions: M4C00kie

M4C00kie

Jan 18, 2016
Did you do anything different to get it working?

I might have confused adb and fastboot... :eek: pretty sure it was working all along

Does this mean you are hopping around in other threads? Or you just read it elsewhere?

I initially posted this on another forum... realised too late that this one here was more appropriate and posted it here xD

The above is not linking me to any specific file. Might be the same link as the on the following thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2701376

fixed, should link to the correct one now... have a look again :)
(this is it: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=...c00ca09c7539be86640965d7bb19a1ad4a4f68918d819)

Relocking the bootloader is not just possible with s-on, its an absolute requirement to RUU.

Simple fastboot command: fastboot oem lock

done.

Most likely, yet. I'd say almost certainly.

Also, you should delete your IMEI and serial number from your getvar info, as these are personal data. I should have mentioned that, but I didn't know you'd get fastboot working so quickly!
deleted it. thanks for all your help so far! :D

Top Liked Posts