• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

HTC One Mini Cracks

Search This thread

azzerc

Mar 1, 2007
Hi guys.

I have recently upgraded to the HTC One Mini and I have to say that I'd love this handset if it wasn't for the fact that the plastic edge/chassis keeps cracking. I am on my second handset as Vodafone were happy enough to replace my first one when I reported this issue to them but it has happened again on my second. These small cracks were not there when I first got either of the two handsets but seemed to appear after a few days of use. I have been back to the store again and they will replace the handset or let me change to a different model/brand so there is no issue there. My question are: Has anyone else had this issue? As I can't seem to find any info on other instances. And, Does it's big brother the HTC One have the same issue as I may upgrade to that?

Cheers guys any info would be appreciated.

Reactions: pgn!

PianoSam

Mar 29, 2007
So I got mine from Vodafone the first day they came out ..your post has had me scurrying to a bright light to check.
So far no cracks...pheeeew
Where do they appear for you...can you take a picture? Are they the same place each time?
Can you think of anything you may be doing that could trigger it? Heat etc
All the best,
Sam

Hi guys.

I have recently upgraded to the HTC One Mini and I have to say that I'd love this handset if it wasn't for the fact that the plastic edge/chassis keeps cracking. I am on my second handset as Vodafone were happy enough to replace my first one when I reported this issue to them but it has happened again on my second. These small cracks were not there when I first got either of the two handsets but seemed to appear after a few days of use. I have been back to the store again and they will replace the handset or let me change to a different model/brand so there is no issue there. My question are: Has anyone else had this issue? As I can't seem to find any info on other instances. And, Does it's big brother the HTC One have the same issue as I may upgrade to that?

Cheers guys any info would be appreciated.

azzerc

Mar 1, 2007
I do have photographs but I can't upload or link them as I don't have enough posts. I will do it when I achieve the 10 post mark. ;)

The situation at the moment is that the Vodafone store manager has passed photos onto the local HTC rep and we are awaiting a response. As for potential causes I have no idea as I am particularly careful with my phone's (to protect resale values) and even more so as this is a brand new handset.

Sent from my HTC One Mini using Tapatalk 2

D

dhf9*&Dh884jdk

Hi, I'm planning on getting this phone in a few days. If you want you can PM me the pictures and I'll upload them in this thread for you. Otherwise you can probably upload them to an image hosting site and then link to them.

Last edited:

Busted.

Dec 1, 2011
I experianced the same issue !

I preordered the mobile, I got it like a month now. I take care of this mobile. It never fell on anything.

But it has this mini mini cracks on the plastic edge (left corner, downside.)

It wasnt there when I got the phone, but it appeared from nothing !
Same as yours.

I guessed that the phone got hot while charging, and the aluminium started getting a little bigger. So the plastic was pushed outside and cracked.

Sent from my HTC One mini using xda app-developers app

killerb777

Aug 27, 2009
wonder if this is vodafones (euro) mini or the US as well. I'm abit hesitant now on picking this up with a chance that the plastic frame might start cracking later on.

azzerc

Mar 1, 2007
Hopefully this will work. There are a couple more cracks on other photos but I have left them on my laptop at work.

hxxp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/07/3amama9u.jpg

Not much has changed since my last post I have noticed one more crack and I am still waiting for the store manager to get back to me with feedback from the HTC rep, I may pop in tomorrow to follow up on the issue.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: pgn!

marv4u

Jul 3, 2013
Hopefully this will work. There are a couple more cracks on other photos but I have left them on my laptop at work.

hxxp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/07/3amama9u.jpg

Not much has changed since my last post I have noticed one more crack and I am still waiting for the store manager to get back to me with feedback from the HTC rep, I may pop in tomorrow to follow up on the issue.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk 2

same here, what are u guys doing? back to reseller and ask for a new one? i think they will tell me its my fault.

Busted.

Dec 1, 2011
A good friend got his mini a few days ago.
He already has the crack !

It did not fall...

Sent from my HTC One mini using xda app-developers app

D

dhf9*&Dh884jdk

Is everyone having this problem using this a Vodaphone user or is it happening on all carrier's versions?

andyecht

Nov 27, 2008
Haltern am See
Hi,

I have also two cracks, one at the volume down button, and one at the bottom side of my mobile.
Vodafone DE will replace it, but actually they know nothing about this problem. Looking forward to my replaced mobile.

Andy

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium HD app

theodorius123

Aug 26, 2010
Hi,

I have also two cracks, one at the volume down button, and one at the bottom side of my mobile.
Vodafone DE will replace it, but actually they know nothing about this problem. Looking forward to my replaced mobile.

Andy

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium HD app

Same cracks at exactly the same positions, also with Vodafone-DE.
I will wait for the black-version - don't think it will work, but maybe I will get a new black one ;)

norazi

Mar 30, 2010
i have one on mine near the bottom... its a new AT&T model

its not serious enough for me to be bothered... pretty much every HTC phone ive ever had has had some sort of manufacturing defect like this (HD2, Sensation, MT4G, One, One Mini)

iendsl

Sep 24, 2013
i've got about three cracks on mine from ATT- doesn't seem like too big of a deal but if it leads to something (for anyone) we should all agree to come back here and say.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    An update on my situation.

My white HTC one mini developed a number of cracks in the places that everyone else has reported (on the back under the beats logo, in the thin strip near the top on the back, around the volume buttons, near the headphone jack, plus a few more).

I went back to the T-Mobile shop where I bought it and they were not very helpful. They said they could send it to the repair centre. I was expecting them to change it on the spot. Oh well.

So I phoned HTC directly instead. After explaining the problem they said they were unaware of this issue (which I find very hard to believe). They said I could send it in for repair BUT if they found no manufacturing fault with the device itself and deemed the cracks to have occurred through misuse then I would have to pay for the repair and the carriage!!

I was going to leave it and just live with the cracks, but then I thought NO, as I am positive I have never dropped or done anything else bad with the phone.

It's been away for 1 week and I just got it back. They didn't replace the phone, but have completely replaced the white plastic bezel. I didn't get billed for anything.

So all good now.

I will be watching the device very carefully from this point on to see if/when I get any cracks appearing!
    I'm surprised they didn't just send you a black model. That one seems to have no problem.
    Well I think they can't just send me something I didn't pay for... I'd even appreciate it, but I think it's against the law... But next time, I will ask about that :D

Did you send your phone back to HTC, or back to your carrier (Vodafone, E-Plus, Telekom or O2)?

Did you have to pay each time for them to take the phone back for inspection/repair?

Thanks!

I send it to the carrier, o2 Germany. And I haven't paid a penny, except for the porto the last time. (only paid porto one time; difficult story haha).

I was looking for info about my cracked HTC One Mini and i found a hole thread about this. I can't believe so many people have this problem.

This is what i have, it's a international version, unlocked.

I had cracks on exactly the same places, and even more. Seems like these are hot spots...

I got my newest mini about 5 days ago. And I already see a Crack. It's very smal though. This time I guess I will just give the phone back. It's a perfekt phone, except the development is kinda dead... and these cracks are annoying.
    And honestly I can't even imagine what phone could replace the mini, except for the bigger sibbling... :s

I will keep reporting about whats happening, maybe it can help someone out (Y)
    I have had this problem. There are many examples of this on various forums. I got a new HTC one mini in April, white/silver in perfect condition on arrival. It started with a hairline crack by the power button then one developed on the opposite side of the power button. Then another started in the corner near the power button. One day the whole corner section including the power button itself just fell off in my hand.

This handset has NEVER been dropped or damaged in any way.

I have had HTC phones for many years (since the original Desire) and have always had great customer service when needed. I therefore contacted HTC and the guy on the phone seemed aware of this issue and said it would more than likely be covered by the warranty. I therefore chose to send it to htc for repair. I have insurance but as this was not a case of damage - accidental or otherwise - this would nt be needed.

I was shocked to then get a response saying the "damage" was not covered by warranty and they would charge me £70 for repair or £27 to return my phone - or choose to have them dispose of it - free of charge - nice touch!

I feel sorry for the poor guy who answered the phone when I called back to communicate my dismay. He eventually agreed to arrange a second assessment but said this was unlikely to alter the outcome.

I will wait for this response before contacting trading standards - this is a manufacturing defect that htc are not just trying to hush up - but profit from!
    I had this Cracks since my first HTC One mini. Currently I have my fourth mini.

I always send it in and always got a new one, or they repaired it. Last time they repaired it. Well they did, I got my phone back, the cracks were gone because several pieces were replaced. But my Volume Button wasnt working allright. There is a sound when you push the button, right ?
    My buttons were broken and when I touched them just a bit, they reacted.

Same procedure again, send the phone back.
    I've been waaiting for weeks. Online I could see that they wanted to repair it (online status) so I was waiting.
    One morning I looked up the Status again, and they said a new phone is coming.
    I did this couple of times now, and it always got repaired or replaced..
    But one thing is sure. The cracks were always coming back. And I know that this phone is going to get the cracks again.

I had cracks on the line in the middle of the backside. Two cracks near each other. I was affraid the piece in the middle will pop out.
    It did not, because I send it back. I guess it would have fallen out If I left the phone the way it was.

The service always said these cracks are normal signs of usage, and definitely in the case of a guarantee.

Im living in Germany, so maybe the law and the conditions are different.

I can only advise you all to send the phone back. The cracks are getting more and more.. Think about what will be left in like 1 or 2 years...
    HTC have now admitted the fault is thiers, a production fault. Get it sent back to them, don't put up with it. Technically it shouldn't affect use but it looks ugly and you shouldn't have to be burdened with it. If possible get it swapped for the black version or one of the latest production dates.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2