• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

HTC One Mini Cracks

Search This thread

robinsonpr

Oct 31, 2013
I've got the same issue after having the phone for a few weeks. I am always very careful with it, never drop it or anything.

I haven't been back to T-Mobile to see if they will replace it yet. Gutted as I love the handset :(

berna.pelle

Apr 11, 2010
Hi,

I was thinking to buy this phone. Now I have some doubts... :(
Do you think these cracks will bring some usability issue in the long term?
Do they tend to expand or increase in number?
You think both the black and white version suffer from the same issue?

BTW:
What about the battery life? I've read in a couple of reviews that the phone struggles to reach the end of the day...

Thanks for your answers... ;)

b.
#ITA

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
Hi,

I was thinking to buy this phone. Now I have some doubts... :(
Do you think these cracks will bring some usability issue in the long term?
Do they tend to expand or increase in number?
You think both the black and white version suffer from the same issue?

BTW:
What about the battery life? I've read in a couple of reviews that the phone struggles to reach the end of the day...

Thanks for your answers... ;)

b.
#ITA

I've had my black one mini for 2 weeks now and haven't seen any cracks yet. As for battery, depends on how you use it, what you have installed etc. Been using my phone a fair bit today from 8am to now 8pm and have 44% left. Good in my opinion. Compared to my last phone a Samsung galaxy s1 it seems to last just as long if not longer.

Sent from my HTC One mini using xda premium

Reactions: berna.pelle

cxian

Nov 27, 2010
Manila
Mine also have one :( I'm sure I didn't drop it or squeeze it so tightly. I noticed this hairline mark yesterday, I just thought it just a dirt or something. My surprise it's really a crack.

It's below beats logo.

Riz100

Nov 5, 2013
Cracks Here As Well.........

Hello everybody. I found this thread when I searched for 'One Mini Plastic Cracks' on Google. I am not a developer but I thought I should share my experience of the same problem as a number of people here seem to have.

My partner found two hairline cracks by the volume buttons of her white O2 One Mini about a week ago. (See attached pic). The lower one is much smaller and not right through. It doesn't show up in the pic very well but it is there. After reading cxians post we checked below the Beats logo and there is a tiny crack there too. The phone is about 10 weeks old and in otherwise mint condition. She always takes very good care of her phones.

At first O2 weren't interested saying that it would cost £72 to repair it even though they could see that the phone was in mint condition. They also said the warranty would now be void.

After a couple of phone calls to O2 customer service she managed to speak to somebody higher up than just a Customer Service Agent. The result is that the phone will be exchanged for a new one on Monday. The guy she spoke to was very helpful and knowledgeable - he actually read this thread while they were talking - and said that he wouldn't be surprised to see a recall of the One Mini over this issue

I can't comment on whether anybody posting here is trolling or not but there certainly seems to be a design/manufacturing fault with the plastic on these phones imo. The term 'not fit for purpose' comes to mind.

Attachments

• HTC_One_Mini_Cracks.JPG
    HTC_One_Mini_Cracks.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 1,466
Reactions: pgn!

PuffDaddy_d

Aug 29, 2010
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 5
Mine has a crack after a month of usage. I too hoped it was only dirt but apparently, the plastic ring is very thin around the phone's buttons and is probably prone to cracking with very light usage. Smh...

Sent from my HTC One mini using xda app-developers app

D

dhf9*&Dh884jdk

Well after owning my One Mini for about 2 months I got a crack right under the volume down button. I use my phone without a case, but I've never dropped it. How do you guys think I should go about getting this fixed? I bought my phone from the AT&T store about 2 months ago, but I unlocked the bootloader and have a custom ROM installed on it.

Attachments

• IMG_4980.jpg
    IMG_4980.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 1,148

theodorius123

Aug 26, 2010
Well after owning my One Mini for about 2 months I got a crack right under the volume down button. I use my phone without a case, but I've never dropped it. How do you guys think I should go about getting this fixed? I bought my phone from the AT&T store about 2 months ago, but I unlocked the bootloader and have a custom ROM installed on it.

...the typical crack for XDA-members - same here ;)

Riz100

Nov 5, 2013
Hello everybody. I found this thread when I searched for 'One Mini Plastic Cracks' on Google. I am not a developer but I thought I should share my experience of the same problem as a number of people here seem to have.

My partner found two hairline cracks by the volume buttons of her white O2 One Mini about a week ago. (See attached pic). The lower one is much smaller and not right through. It doesn't show up in the pic very well but it is there. After reading cxians post we checked below the Beats logo and there is a tiny crack there too. The phone is about 10 weeks old and in otherwise mint condition. She always takes very good care of her phones.

At first O2 weren't interested saying that it would cost £72 to repair it even though they could see that the phone was in mint condition. They also said the warranty would now be void.

After a couple of phone calls to O2 customer service she managed to speak to somebody higher up than just a Customer Service Agent. The result is that the phone will be exchanged for a new one on Monday. The guy she spoke to was very helpful and knowledgeable - he actually read this thread while they were talking - and said that he wouldn't be surprised to see a recall of the One Mini over this issue

I can't comment on whether anybody posting here is trolling or not but there certainly seems to be a design/manufacturing fault with the plastic on these phones imo. The term 'not fit for purpose' comes to mind.

Well, this one carries on...............She had the replacement for 8 days before a tiny crack appeared again on the white plastic strip below Beats Audio logo on the back.

On contacting O2 she made it clear that this was a very small crack and was going to suggest a 'lets see what happens' approach. But the guy she spoke to (same one as before) said that even a tiny crack would invalidate the warranty in the future........ so the second replacement arrives today.

O2 say that it's htcs policy to cancel the warranty for any physical damage. I would advise anybody with this problem to report it to your Network or htc as soon as you see it. Even if you're not bothered about a tiny crack in the plastic you might find that your warranty is invalid if the phone develops another fault later on.

Last edited:

ashp2014

Nov 20, 2013
Well, this one carries on...............She had the replacement for 8 days before a tiny crack appeared again on the white plastic strip below Beats Audio logo on the back.

On contacting O2 she made it clear that this was a very small crack and was going to suggest a 'lets see what happens' approach. But the guy she spoke to (same one as before) said that even a tiny crack would invalidate the warranty in the future........ so the second replacement arrives today.

O2 say that it's htcs policy to cancel the warranty for any physical damage. I would advise anybody with this problem to report it to your Network or htc as soon as you see it. Even if you're not bothered about a tiny crack in the plastic you might find that your warranty is invalid if the phone develops another fault later on.

My handset have now devloped a crack on the same plastic, would you advise reporting this straight to orange , and does anybody know their replacement policy as i didnt take out insurance with phones 4 u, thanks

ghitch

Nov 5, 2013
Hi all,

Just came across this thread which prompted me to take my case off my 2 week old one mini and check... low and behold its cracked in two spots!

This is a serious quality issue with the type of plastic they are using on the phone.

Will be taking it back to Telstra today and see what they do

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

Hi all,

Just came across this thread which prompted me to take my case off my 2 week old one mini and check... low and behold its cracked in two spots!

This is a serious quality issue with the type of plastic they are using on the phone.

Will be taking it back to Telstra today and see what they do

Update - Took my phone to Telstra and informed them of the issue, they took one quick look and replaced the phone with a new one straight away..take 2 :)

prisekin48

Nov 21, 2013
Hi guys! I'm Russian and have the same trouble. The cracks appeared after about week of using. At the store I was said the phone could be sent to the htc center for examination. First I wasn't agreed because it tooks so long, about 40 work-days. Guys from a Russian forum had a conversation with HTC center manager and she said that these cracks aren't guarantee case because they don't exactly know whether the phone was dropped or not.
After reading this forum I decided to try to get a new one. A black one. It seems that there are less cracks cases with black phones.
P.S.: the phone is perfect!!

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
Has anyone with a black model suffered cracks? Or is it just white/silver users so far? I have had my black one mini for bout 2 months now and haven't suffered from this yet, but it worries me as I would like to get at least 2 years outta my phone. I do use a TPU case by the way and have dropped my phone loads.

Sent from my HTC One mini using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Andlu15

Nov 24, 2013
I just discovered that my htc one mini also has miniature cracks below the beats logo on that plastic strip, next to the top volume rocker, and next to the headphone jack. For those of you wondering whether it's a problem by regions, I bought this phone in taiwan so i'm guessing that there is a problem with all the htc one mini out there.

pgn!

Nov 22, 2013
Crackin' me up!

Is everyone having this problem using this a Vodaphone user or is it happening on all carrier's versions?

I became concerned when I saw a second hairline crack appear on the white poly-carbonate bezel just below the lower volume button on my 2-month old otherwise-pristine HTC One mini, despite having kept it cossetted in a phone pouch since buying it at the end of September this year.

An on-line chat with a support rep at the UK-based company that I bought the phone from resulted in a trip to the nearest of their high-street stores (the original phone was purchased via telesales) and 40mins later I left with a brand-new replacement HTC One mini, one without a single crack or flaw in the bezel.

No photos, alas, but I will be taking a couple of photos of the replacement phone and will be paying close attention to any marks appearing anywhere on white plastic trim around the edge of this one.

I wonder how many other One minis are showing the same issue?

Last edited:

abzboi

Jul 22, 2013
Sacramento
Hey guys, yesterday I checked my HTC One Mini for the sim card and I noticed that there was a 2 crack on mines. I try to wipe it off but it doesn't gets wipe off. So I was feeling the crack with my hand and I noticed it was a crack. My phone is already bootloader unlocked and tampered. Does anyone know how I can return this phone to at&t and ask for replacement? Also, I double checked today about under the beats audio, there were 3 cracks and altogether it has 6 cracks. So disappointing that HTC made it plastic.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    An update on my situation.

My white HTC one mini developed a number of cracks in the places that everyone else has reported (on the back under the beats logo, in the thin strip near the top on the back, around the volume buttons, near the headphone jack, plus a few more).

I went back to the T-Mobile shop where I bought it and they were not very helpful. They said they could send it to the repair centre. I was expecting them to change it on the spot. Oh well.

So I phoned HTC directly instead. After explaining the problem they said they were unaware of this issue (which I find very hard to believe). They said I could send it in for repair BUT if they found no manufacturing fault with the device itself and deemed the cracks to have occurred through misuse then I would have to pay for the repair and the carriage!!

I was going to leave it and just live with the cracks, but then I thought NO, as I am positive I have never dropped or done anything else bad with the phone.

It's been away for 1 week and I just got it back. They didn't replace the phone, but have completely replaced the white plastic bezel. I didn't get billed for anything.

So all good now.

I will be watching the device very carefully from this point on to see if/when I get any cracks appearing!
    I'm surprised they didn't just send you a black model. That one seems to have no problem.
    Well I think they can't just send me something I didn't pay for... I'd even appreciate it, but I think it's against the law... But next time, I will ask about that :D

Did you send your phone back to HTC, or back to your carrier (Vodafone, E-Plus, Telekom or O2)?

Did you have to pay each time for them to take the phone back for inspection/repair?

Thanks!

I send it to the carrier, o2 Germany. And I haven't paid a penny, except for the porto the last time. (only paid porto one time; difficult story haha).

I was looking for info about my cracked HTC One Mini and i found a hole thread about this. I can't believe so many people have this problem.

This is what i have, it's a international version, unlocked.

I had cracks on exactly the same places, and even more. Seems like these are hot spots...

I got my newest mini about 5 days ago. And I already see a Crack. It's very smal though. This time I guess I will just give the phone back. It's a perfekt phone, except the development is kinda dead... and these cracks are annoying.
    And honestly I can't even imagine what phone could replace the mini, except for the bigger sibbling... :s

I will keep reporting about whats happening, maybe it can help someone out (Y)
    I have had this problem. There are many examples of this on various forums. I got a new HTC one mini in April, white/silver in perfect condition on arrival. It started with a hairline crack by the power button then one developed on the opposite side of the power button. Then another started in the corner near the power button. One day the whole corner section including the power button itself just fell off in my hand.

This handset has NEVER been dropped or damaged in any way.

I have had HTC phones for many years (since the original Desire) and have always had great customer service when needed. I therefore contacted HTC and the guy on the phone seemed aware of this issue and said it would more than likely be covered by the warranty. I therefore chose to send it to htc for repair. I have insurance but as this was not a case of damage - accidental or otherwise - this would nt be needed.

I was shocked to then get a response saying the "damage" was not covered by warranty and they would charge me £70 for repair or £27 to return my phone - or choose to have them dispose of it - free of charge - nice touch!

I feel sorry for the poor guy who answered the phone when I called back to communicate my dismay. He eventually agreed to arrange a second assessment but said this was unlikely to alter the outcome.

I will wait for this response before contacting trading standards - this is a manufacturing defect that htc are not just trying to hush up - but profit from!
    I had this Cracks since my first HTC One mini. Currently I have my fourth mini.

I always send it in and always got a new one, or they repaired it. Last time they repaired it. Well they did, I got my phone back, the cracks were gone because several pieces were replaced. But my Volume Button wasnt working allright. There is a sound when you push the button, right ?
    My buttons were broken and when I touched them just a bit, they reacted.

Same procedure again, send the phone back.
    I've been waaiting for weeks. Online I could see that they wanted to repair it (online status) so I was waiting.
    One morning I looked up the Status again, and they said a new phone is coming.
    I did this couple of times now, and it always got repaired or replaced..
    But one thing is sure. The cracks were always coming back. And I know that this phone is going to get the cracks again.

I had cracks on the line in the middle of the backside. Two cracks near each other. I was affraid the piece in the middle will pop out.
    It did not, because I send it back. I guess it would have fallen out If I left the phone the way it was.

The service always said these cracks are normal signs of usage, and definitely in the case of a guarantee.

Im living in Germany, so maybe the law and the conditions are different.

I can only advise you all to send the phone back. The cracks are getting more and more.. Think about what will be left in like 1 or 2 years...
    HTC have now admitted the fault is thiers, a production fault. Get it sent back to them, don't put up with it. Technically it shouldn't affect use but it looks ugly and you shouldn't have to be burdened with it. If possible get it swapped for the black version or one of the latest production dates.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2