HTC One Mini Cracks

Search This thread

sorour80

Oct 25, 2010
Long term does anyone know if the cracks affect the phone or is it superficial? From the other posts it sounds like it would effect the warranty from HTC. Has anyone had pieces fall off or do they just stay as the hairline cracks and do you just get more and more of these cracks over time. Thanks for any feel back.

I haven't read that people have had actual pieces of the frame fall off. But what I can confirm from peosonal experience that the cracks start hairline and barely visible then gradually deepen and become more visible. Also new ones keep appearing overtime sometimes over night

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

karelva

Dec 29, 2013
Not shock-induced

Reading through the thread and other posts, I do not believe that the cracks are caused by shocks. I've never dropped my phone. I'm also not surprised that the black version doesn't have these problems. I think it's caused by the white plastic used in the moldings. Intuitively, I believe the cracks are the result of heat: the battery. The plastic isn't malleable to expand when the back of the phone gets warm. There were other questions: Nothing falls off, performance is not impacted, no rattling, no loss of structural integrity in the hardware. It works fine and the cracks are really too small for me to worry about. It's akin to the phone still being locked. It works fine, but it just bothers me.

Unfortunately, AT&T does not carry the black model otherwise I would have traded in.

karelva

Dec 29, 2013
Reading through the thread and other posts, I do not believe that the cracks are caused by shocks. I've never dropped my phone. I'm also not surprised that the black version doesn't have these problems. I think it's caused by the white plastic used in the moldings. Intuitively, I believe the cracks are the result of heat: the battery. The plastic isn't malleable to expand when the back of the phone gets warm. There were other questions: Nothing falls off, performance is not impacted, no rattling, no loss of structural integrity in the hardware. It works fine and the cracks are really too small for me to worry about. It's akin to the phone still being locked. It works fine, but it just bothers me.

Unfortunately, AT&T does not carry the black model otherwise I would have traded in.

Update to my own last post: Strike that. There is now a massive ugly crack in the side of the outer frame, which is major cause for concern. Again, I've never dropped it, and it's been in a Candy Shell case for the better part of the 6 weeks that I've owned the device. Now, even if it continues to work, I will never be able to sell it, or trade it in, or anything. A sunk cost.

I've spoken to HTC customer service (if you want to call it that) who basically (1) did not acknowledge that there might be a problem with the white model even though hundreds of people have now posted about this problem (2) tried to pull a cheap one on me, stating that I was not entitled to service anyway because my 1-year warranty had expired (This model was not available on the US market 12 months ago so that one was kind of easy to dispel) and then (3) described a repair process that is so insanely complicated that I hung up on them. A customer-centric company would have said: Your phone is 6 weeks old? You've never dropped it? It's been in a case? We'll arrange for a replacement at your nearest AT&T store. Just go there now, they'll give you another one. These guys? They're not serious business people.

I have posted dozens of reviews on Yelp, Tripadvisor and many other forums before. I have never posted a negative review of anyone. Ever. This is the first one in 20 years. This is how disappointed I am by HTC as a company.

D

dhf9*&Dh884jdk

What started out as I tiny crack has turned into 5 with 3 of them being very noticeable. Unfortunately, I dropped my phone from about 2 feet and cracked the screen so I can't take it in to have it replaced. :/

I've never had a phone with such poor durability.

csoulr666

Jun 30, 2011
Aligarh
It seems to be a manufacturing or design defect IMHO, and most reports are from the AT&T model. Could this be a problem with certain lots? Is there a way we could check the lot no. of this device?

karelva

Dec 29, 2013
It seems to be a manufacturing or design defect IMHO, and most reports are from the AT&T model. Could this be a problem with certain lots? Is there a way we could check the lot no. of this device?

I'm not very knowledgeable in this sort of thing. How would I go about doing that? And then, more importantly, how do we draw AT&T's attention to the problem? I spoke to them, this is not a known defect. So they couldn't do anything for me (which I understand - I'm quite happy with AT&T).

sorour80

Oct 25, 2010

It doesn't have to do anything with at&t specific phones. It happened with unlocked international versions as well. My phone is one of those which was replaced by HTC after two weeks of online requests

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Busted.

Dec 1, 2011
I had this Cracks since my first HTC One mini. Currently I have my fourth mini.

I always send it in and always got a new one, or they repaired it. Last time they repaired it. Well they did, I got my phone back, the cracks were gone because several pieces were replaced. But my Volume Button wasnt working allright. There is a sound when you push the button, right ?
My buttons were broken and when I touched them just a bit, they reacted.

Same procedure again, send the phone back.
I've been waaiting for weeks. Online I could see that they wanted to repair it (online status) so I was waiting.
One morning I looked up the Status again, and they said a new phone is coming.
I did this couple of times now, and it always got repaired or replaced..
But one thing is sure. The cracks were always coming back. And I know that this phone is going to get the cracks again.

I had cracks on the line in the middle of the backside. Two cracks near each other. I was affraid the piece in the middle will pop out.
It did not, because I send it back. I guess it would have fallen out If I left the phone the way it was.

The service always said these cracks are normal signs of usage, and definitely in the case of a guarantee.

Im living in Germany, so maybe the law and the conditions are different.

I can only advise you all to send the phone back. The cracks are getting more and more.. Think about what will be left in like 1 or 2 years...

Reactions: pgn! and RuffBuster

karelva

Dec 29, 2013

I always send it in and always got a new one, or they repaired it. Last time they repaired it. Well they did, I got my phone back, the cracks were gone because several pieces were replaced. But my Volume Button wasnt working allright. There is a sound when you push the button, right ?

I've been waaiting for weeks. Online I could see that they wanted to repair it (online status) so I was waiting.
But one thing is sure. The cracks were always coming back. And I know that this phone is going to get the cracks again.

I had cracks on the line in the middle of the backside. Two cracks near each other. I was affraid the piece in the middle will pop out.
It did not, because I send it back. I guess it would have fallen out If I left the phone the way it was.

The service always said these cracks are normal signs of usage, and definitely in the case of a guarantee.

I can only advise you all to send the phone back. The cracks are getting more and more.. Think about what will be left in like 1 or 2 years...

I'm surprised they didn't just send you a black model. That one seems to have no problem.

pgn!

Nov 22, 2013

Did you send your phone back to HTC, or back to your carrier (Vodafone, E-Plus, Telekom or O2)?

Did you have to pay each time for them to take the phone back for inspection/repair?

Thanks!

Nemuritor

Feb 14, 2013
Bucharest
I was looking for info about my cracked HTC One Mini and i found a hole thread about this. I can't believe so many people have this problem.

This is what i have, it's a international version, unlocked.

Attachments

• IMG_20140209_161950.jpg
    IMG_20140209_161950.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_20140209_162001.jpg
    IMG_20140209_162001.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_20140209_162102.jpg
    IMG_20140209_162102.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 286
Reactions: pgn!

Busted.

Dec 1, 2011
I'm surprised they didn't just send you a black model. That one seems to have no problem.
Well I think they can't just send me something I didn't pay for... I'd even appreciate it, but I think it's against the law... But next time, I will ask about that :D

Did you send your phone back to HTC, or back to your carrier (Vodafone, E-Plus, Telekom or O2)?

Did you have to pay each time for them to take the phone back for inspection/repair?

Thanks!

I send it to the carrier, o2 Germany. And I haven't paid a penny, except for the porto the last time. (only paid porto one time; difficult story haha).

I was looking for info about my cracked HTC One Mini and i found a hole thread about this. I can't believe so many people have this problem.

I had cracks on exactly the same places, and even more. Seems like these are hot spots...

I got my newest mini about 5 days ago. And I already see a Crack. It's very smal though. This time I guess I will just give the phone back. It's a perfekt phone, except the development is kinda dead... and these cracks are annoying.
And honestly I can't even imagine what phone could replace the mini, except for the bigger sibbling... :s

I will keep reporting about whats happening, maybe it can help someone out (Y)

Last edited:
D

dhf9*&Dh884jdk

Well I think they can't just send me something I didn't pay for... I'd even appreciate it, but I think it's against the law... But next time, I will ask about that :D

I send it to the carrier, o2 Germany. And I haven't paid a penny, except for the porto the last time. (only paid porto one time; difficult story haha).

I had cracks on exactly the same places, and even more. Seems like these are hot spots...

I got my newest mini about 5 days ago. And I already see a Crack. It's very smal though. This time I guess I will just give the phone back. It's a perfekt phone, except the development is kinda dead... and these cracks are annoying.
And honestly I can't even imagine what phone could replace the mini, except for the bigger sibbling... :s

I'm going to try to have AT&T replace mine, but idk if they will because I cracked and scratched the screen at work (even though the cracks I had appeared before I cracked the screen.)

The Moto X looks good, it has a 4.7" screen, but the physical size is only slightly larger than the Mini because the bezels are slim.

Busted.

Dec 1, 2011
Is there anyone without any cracks or is it issue in manufacturing process?

I dont think I have ever seen someone without 'em ! Some of my friends own the mini, and as already mentioned they have the same issue.
The phones in the shops have these cracks, too ! But If you tell the shop employees about these cracks, they say it's because everyone goes around and touches these phones. I agree, somehow they are right. But nevertheless I have never seen a mini without this issue. I even asked a stranger once haha he didn't even noticed these cracks ! Because he was using a badass big case :laugh:

I have some new cracks, and I'm gonna take some pictures of it to show over here..
I use a TPU Silicon Softcase, and it's always on. I never throw my phone, and it never falls on the floor from higher than like 40cm/15 inches.

Photos coming soon :good:

Relativedegree

Jan 14, 2013
Navan
Guys, try to sell it asap. This is what I did.
It looks worse every month which is not acceptable at this price.
Bought a nexus 5 and Im happy I got rid of this phone.

Nexus 5 & Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    An update on my situation.

My white HTC one mini developed a number of cracks in the places that everyone else has reported (on the back under the beats logo, in the thin strip near the top on the back, around the volume buttons, near the headphone jack, plus a few more).

I went back to the T-Mobile shop where I bought it and they were not very helpful. They said they could send it to the repair centre. I was expecting them to change it on the spot. Oh well.

So I phoned HTC directly instead. After explaining the problem they said they were unaware of this issue (which I find very hard to believe). They said I could send it in for repair BUT if they found no manufacturing fault with the device itself and deemed the cracks to have occurred through misuse then I would have to pay for the repair and the carriage!!

I was going to leave it and just live with the cracks, but then I thought NO, as I am positive I have never dropped or done anything else bad with the phone.

It's been away for 1 week and I just got it back. They didn't replace the phone, but have completely replaced the white plastic bezel. I didn't get billed for anything.

So all good now.

I will be watching the device very carefully from this point on to see if/when I get any cracks appearing!

Thanks!

I have had this problem. There are many examples of this on various forums. I got a new HTC one mini in April, white/silver in perfect condition on arrival. It started with a hairline crack by the power button then one developed on the opposite side of the power button. Then another started in the corner near the power button. One day the whole corner section including the power button itself just fell off in my hand.

This handset has NEVER been dropped or damaged in any way.

I have had HTC phones for many years (since the original Desire) and have always had great customer service when needed. I therefore contacted HTC and the guy on the phone seemed aware of this issue and said it would more than likely be covered by the warranty. I therefore chose to send it to htc for repair. I have insurance but as this was not a case of damage - accidental or otherwise - this would nt be needed.

I was shocked to then get a response saying the "damage" was not covered by warranty and they would charge me £70 for repair or £27 to return my phone - or choose to have them dispose of it - free of charge - nice touch!

I feel sorry for the poor guy who answered the phone when I called back to communicate my dismay. He eventually agreed to arrange a second assessment but said this was unlikely to alter the outcome.

I will wait for this response before contacting trading standards - this is a manufacturing defect that htc are not just trying to hush up - but profit from!

HTC have now admitted the fault is thiers, a production fault. Get it sent back to them, don't put up with it. Technically it shouldn't affect use but it looks ugly and you shouldn't have to be burdened with it. If possible get it swapped for the black version or one of the latest production dates.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2