• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

HTC One Mini Cracks

Search This thread

silviu_nanau

Oct 8, 2011
Timisoara
My wife's HTC Mini got cracks about a week after starting to use it (purchased on 3/14, sent for repairs on 3/24).

We got it repaired for free, got it back on 3/31.

On 4/17, new cracks.

Sent it on 4/22 for repairs, again for free.

I'm curious what they'll do next.....

englishkiwi

Apr 25, 2014
Cracks - 2 days

I've had the silver version of the HTC One Mini for 2 days (bought in New Zealand). Just noticed a number of cracks (about 5) in the same places as everyone else. I've taken good care of it, haven't dropped it or anything. I'll be taking the phone back tomorrow. Total bummer 'cause I love the phone.

Hopefully I can get a black version as a replacement.

theodorius123

Aug 26, 2010
I found htc one mini black off contract for 280 eu..
i ve read this forum and i get really scared about all this hairline cracks issues
i am not sure anymore if it is worth buying
what do you think
please help

if you would read in this thread a little bit more you would notice that the black version has no problems with cracks - it is the white that makes trouble. of course, there are 1-2 black versions that got some cracks, but in my opinion you will always find, for EVERY phone, someone with problems.

I had a white one with cracks after 2 weeks, I got a black one without cracks after 6 months ;)

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
Had my One mini BLACK since October 2013 and still no cracks. Just my usb port has come loose. still charges but no data transfer. It's currently at a HTC repair centre for the second time, as the first time they sent it back without doing anything to the phone. Now it's being looked at by someone higher up ...I hope.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

raptonicus

Nov 26, 2012
Athens
Redmi Note 10
that's very good to hear
thanks a lot
i like this htc one mini black so i m gonna buy it although now days you might call it a bit old for its specs
especially now that they will bring sense 6 to this device it'll became more attractive (always hoping for a good optimization from htc)
go black ninja go..!!!!!

didierk

Apr 4, 2014
Hi all

I was in contact with HTC today because I also noticed more and more cracks around the case. Silver/White model.
They told me I should send the device for repair, its a known problem and they modified the plastic mixture since then.

greetings

orst3n

Jul 7, 2013
Malans / Switzerland
i want to send in my phone but im stuck with getting the stock recovery for 4.3 someone maybe got a image ? im s-off stock rom on 4.3 tryed older and newer recoverys i was able to find, but they wont work, (failing + giving a red phone if i try to start them,,,

mircead1979

Feb 3, 2014
Reghin
I think the cracks are not related to software so you should have it repaired by warranty even if you are routed. Ask your seller about this.

Sent from my HTC One mini using XDA Free mobile app

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
If it's just the plastics you want fixing you should be ok with a rooted phone. It's usually when they want to replace your mother board they will void your warranty. Though HTC have told me that they will fix all faults with your phone, and they count an unlocked boot loader as a fault with your phone. I think it's down to luck with who you are dealing with at the time.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

sdelae

Jun 1, 2014
my HTC one mini white is not 2 days old and I already have 6 hairline cracks in all the same places that have been reported. i'm assuming this has to do with the phone heating up while charging. I'm in australia and bought my HTC outright from an online store. I will be contacting HTC tomorrow in order to get this resolved. I can't believe so many cracks have happened after only a day and a half...
I'm really curious as to whether or not these cracks cause the plastic to fall off or whether the cracks affect the phones function. I need the phone to last me at least a year until my free upgrade with my contract...

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
HTC have now admitted the fault is thiers, a production fault. Get it sent back to them, don't put up with it. Technically it shouldn't affect use but it looks ugly and you shouldn't have to be burdened with it. If possible get it swapped for the black version or one of the latest production dates.

Reactions: sdelae and sorour80

sdelae

Jun 1, 2014
I contacted HTC they told me there was nothing they could do at this stage and that I should contact the store I bought it from.
The store i bought it from are online and have no phone number. So i'm going through email. They say that they can offer a partial refund if i'm happy to keep the phone or replace it completely. Unfortunately they don't sell the black ones. So that leaves me with either this one with cracks in it or getting another white one which will inevitably get more cracks in it....

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
You want to see if they will exchange it for a different phone. Like you say its only going to suffer the same cracks again if it's from the same batch. Shame on HTC for not recalling these phones. The reason most people buy these phones is the nice looking body, but not if they look like crap after a few days or weeks... I know doing such a recall would be expensive, but it's their duty to do so you would think. These phones kinda remind me of cheap Chinese knock offs. I remember feeling sorry for HTC when I heard they were told they might have to stop making these phones because of copyright issues with Nokia, but now I wish they had lost the fight... I have lost all faith in HTC after hearing all the different horror stories and from what I have experienced myself. My Samsung Galaxy S1 which is around 4 years old is still going strong and i'm using right now, has never suffered any such defects. Wish I had never turned my back on Samsung.

kostas1988

Nov 16, 2012
I have my one mini for 2 weeks now (silver) and i noticed to very small cracks not easy to notice one on the upper plastic above the camera and one on the left egde.not a big deal yet..So reading this thread i thought what if i charge my phone while it is switched off..First try was yesterday the phone was still hot but i didnt see any new crack or the old getting worse..so can anyone else also try it and report back?Maybe we have a solution? :p

pgn!

Nov 22, 2013
I have my one mini for 2 weeks now (silver) and i noticed to very small cracks not easy to notice one on the upper plastic above the camera and one on the left egde.not a big deal yet..So reading this thread i thought what if i charge my phone while it is switched off..First try was yesterday the phone was still hot but i didnt see any new crack or the old getting worse..so can anyone else also try it and report back?Maybe we have a solution? :p

Surely switching the device off whilst it's charging defeats the whole purpose of having a mobile phone in the first place...? In any case, I have felt my One mini get quite hot occasionally during normal use, whilst running off the battery only, so changing your usage pattern in an attempt to reduce the likelihood of these cracks in the plastic appearing seems more hassle than it's worth: get a phone that will work with you would be my answer.

I write as someone whose HTC One mini has been back to HTC for repair once already, but is again showing a crack near the lower volume button as well as several smaller ones across the strips on the rear of the phone.

Reactions: RuffBuster

AnGrY sCoTsMaN

Nov 17, 2011
Fife
crack appeared on black mini

Hey,just thought i would share this with you guys.Spotted a crack above the "up" volume rocker on my Black Mini. had the phone 9 months approx, always in a hard back flip case and never been dropped. Doubt Htc will do anything about it though... guess ill just need to live with it

Last edited:

gazleyp

May 1, 2009
Manchester
Htc one mini cracks

Hey,just thought i would share this with you guys.Spotted a crack above the "up" volume rocker on my Black Mini. had the phone 9 months approx, always in a hard back flip case and never been dropped. Doubt Htc will do anything about it though... guess ill just need to live with it

HTC have come up with a great get out clause they are sending handsets back un repaired quoting liquid damage on the inside of the phones to get out of the repair liquid damage voids the warranty here is a copy of my conversation with HTC on this issue
Chat Transcript
Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You have been connected to Robin.
Robin: Hi gary, thank you for contacting HTC Support.
gary pemberton: Is anyone there
Robin: I am sorry to hear that the casing is defective.
gary pemberton: HI
Robin: We can send the phone in for a repair if you want to, that is the option we can give you at the moment.
gary pemberton: well of course i want a repair the phone is only 6 week old but i am seeing reports on the net that even when the casing is repaired the issue still happens
Robin: I understand if you have read about the issue on the Internet, but a repair is what we can offer. Obviously the issue should not occur more than once.
gary pemberton: are you there
gary pemberton: right how do i get my phone to you
Robin: Well, we can arrange for a repair through us. A courier will then pick the device up from any address in the UK and take it in to our repair centre where the device will be repaired. As soon as the phone has been repaired it will be sent back to you with a courier. This process should take between 7-10 working days, subject to parts availability.
gary pemberton: ok that is accepatable
Robin: Please note that if the fault is found not to be covered by warranty it will be a chargeable repair and we will issue a quote via your email address.

Should you choose not to go ahead with the repairs after the quote has been completed, a small charge of roughly £27 fee will be charged for the return of the device in an un-repaired state. This covers the shipping, evaluation, testing of the handset and VAT.

If the fault is covered by the warranty the device will be repaired free of charge as long as no other faults or damage is found and then returned to you.

If evidence of water damage or liquid ingress is discovered then the device may not be repaired.
If the damage is minor, then you will receive a quote for repair costs from the repair centre.
If the damage is major, we can either return the phone to you un-repaired or we can dispose of it for you. It is un-economical to repair majorly liquid damaged phones as the cost to you may be more than the cost of purchasing a brand new phone.

Please can you confirm that you have read the above and that you are happy to proceed with the repair?
gary pemberton: Well that seems obsured seeing as the casing is defective, i am not asking for an internal repair the phone works 100% as it should, it is the casing i have an issue with, now how can i trust you will not say the hand set has liquid damage given that this is a major fault its all over the net, and i am sure HTC will do anything to avoid the repair cost, i have no way of proving the hand set does not have water damage before i send it this seem a really strange policy given i am complaining about the casing not a functional problem
Robin: I apologise but all we can offer at the moment is a repair.
Robin: We have had a few isolated cases where this has happened and the user has not had to pay for the repair. However, the only person who can verify your specific device is one of these units is the repair technician.
gary pemberton: yes i want a repair but all i want is the case repairing, and i want it without the conditions as i stated i can not trust HTC to say the phone is not liquid damaged i can not prove it is not before i send it and given HTC knew about this issue in Nov 2013 and i was still sold a defective hand set 6 months later leaves me very suspicious, if you will not do the casing repair without your fore mentioned condition i am going to contact trading standards
gary pemberton: i can send you the IMEI number you should be able to verify the hand set via that
Robin: Please provide the IMEI number.
gary pemberton: 352789060228840
Robin: Unfortunately all we can offer at the moment is a repair. You are more than welcome to contact trading standards if you believe they can help you with this matter.
gary pemberton: well as i stated previously i want the repair but with out the water damage condition this phone has never been water damaged but obviously HTC are using this as a get out clause if the phone was liquid damaged i would be sending it for a function repair not a casing isue which HTC have already accepeted
gary pemberton: i sent you the IMEI number so why can you not identify that this phone is produce using the defective plastic
Robin: Unfortunately I can not see how the device was manufactured. Like I said, a repair is what we can offer.
Robin: There is no other option available.
gary pemberton: and yet again i state i want the repair to the casing unconditionally
Robin: And the casing can be repaired.
Robin: So would you like to proceed or not?
gary pemberton: so when you picking it up
Robin: Well, let me explain a few things about the repair before we proceed.
Robin: Please note that if the fault is found not to be covered by warranty it will be a chargeable repair and we will issue a quote via your email address.

Should you choose not to go ahead with the repairs after the quote has been completed, a small charge of roughly £27 fee will be charged for the return of the device in an un-repaired state. This covers the shipping, evaluation, testing of the handset and VAT.

If the fault is covered by the warranty the device will be repaired free of charge as long as no other faults or damage is found and then returned to you.

If evidence of water damage or liquid ingress is discovered then the device may not be repaired.
If the damage is minor, then you will receive a quote for repair costs from the repair centre.
If the damage is major, we can either return the phone to you un-repaired or we can dispose of it for you. It is un-economical to repair majorly liquid damaged phones as the cost to you may be more than the cost of purchasing a brand new phone.

Please can you confirm that you have read the above and that you are happy to proceed with the repair?
gary pemberton: no you have gone in a circle and have not addressed the issue!!!!! i am very angry with HTC
gary pemberton: ARE YOU GOING TO DO THE CASING REPAIR WITHOUT THE SILLY LIQUID DAMAGE STIPULATION OR NOT THIS IS A FARCE
Robin: Well, I have to make you aware of the repair process.
gary pemberton: AND YOU HAVE, NOW IS THE CASING THAT HTC HAVE ACCEPTED THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH GOING TO REPAIR THE CASING ISSUE OR NOT
Robin: The casing can be repaired, that's not a problem.
gary pemberton: WELL LETS SET A DATE FOR THE PHONE TO BE PICKED UP
Robin: Will do, but first I have to tell you the following: During repair, we will install the latest software as part of the diagnosis and testing. All the data from the phone's internal storage space will be lost. We ask that customers backup their personal data before they send the device to HTC. We are not responsible for any loss of data saved on your device. If you need assistance on how to back up your data please let me know now.
Also, has the phone been unlocked? If yes, we may ask you to provide a copy of the email or letter from the mobile operator that confirms that the phone has indeed been unlocked. Failure do this could result in the phone being returned to you locked once again to the network.

Do you understand the above information and do you still wish to proceed?
gary pemberton: THE PHONE IS NOT UNLOCKED IT IS EXACTLY HOW I GOT IT FROM OUT OF THE BOX AND THERE IS NOTHING ON THE PHONE I NEED TO SAVE
gary pemberton: I UNDERSTAND
Robin: Our courier pickup service can be booked between 12:00 and 17:00 with 24 hours notice, excluding Weekends and Bank Holidays.
What date would be best to book this in for you?
gary pemberton: THURSDAY 26 JUNE 2014
Robin: Thank you.
gary pemberton: Can you confirm the booking please
Robin: Can I please take your full name, contact telephone number, email address and pickup address first?
gary pemberton: deleted this obvious reasons
Robin: Please hold while I raise the repair on the system. This may take 5 to 10 minutes and I will come back to you as soon as it has been done.
Now prior to this conversation i had sent the phone for casing repair through my mobile provider it was sent back un repaired stating liquid damage as to why the phione was not repaired, the phone was definitly not water damged or damaged from any other liquid the phone is 100% functioning with no faults what so ever, THIS SEEMS VERY SUSPECT TO ME I WILL KEEP YOU ALL POSTED ON THIS I HAVE ALL DOCUMENTATION TO PROVE ALL THIS

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    An update on my situation.

My white HTC one mini developed a number of cracks in the places that everyone else has reported (on the back under the beats logo, in the thin strip near the top on the back, around the volume buttons, near the headphone jack, plus a few more).

I went back to the T-Mobile shop where I bought it and they were not very helpful. They said they could send it to the repair centre. I was expecting them to change it on the spot. Oh well.

So I phoned HTC directly instead. After explaining the problem they said they were unaware of this issue (which I find very hard to believe). They said I could send it in for repair BUT if they found no manufacturing fault with the device itself and deemed the cracks to have occurred through misuse then I would have to pay for the repair and the carriage!!

I was going to leave it and just live with the cracks, but then I thought NO, as I am positive I have never dropped or done anything else bad with the phone.

It's been away for 1 week and I just got it back. They didn't replace the phone, but have completely replaced the white plastic bezel. I didn't get billed for anything.

So all good now.

I will be watching the device very carefully from this point on to see if/when I get any cracks appearing!
    I'm surprised they didn't just send you a black model. That one seems to have no problem.
    Well I think they can't just send me something I didn't pay for... I'd even appreciate it, but I think it's against the law... But next time, I will ask about that :D

Did you send your phone back to HTC, or back to your carrier (Vodafone, E-Plus, Telekom or O2)?

Did you have to pay each time for them to take the phone back for inspection/repair?

Thanks!

I send it to the carrier, o2 Germany. And I haven't paid a penny, except for the porto the last time. (only paid porto one time; difficult story haha).

I was looking for info about my cracked HTC One Mini and i found a hole thread about this. I can't believe so many people have this problem.

This is what i have, it's a international version, unlocked.

I had cracks on exactly the same places, and even more. Seems like these are hot spots...

I got my newest mini about 5 days ago. And I already see a Crack. It's very smal though. This time I guess I will just give the phone back. It's a perfekt phone, except the development is kinda dead... and these cracks are annoying.
    And honestly I can't even imagine what phone could replace the mini, except for the bigger sibbling... :s

I will keep reporting about whats happening, maybe it can help someone out (Y)
    I have had this problem. There are many examples of this on various forums. I got a new HTC one mini in April, white/silver in perfect condition on arrival. It started with a hairline crack by the power button then one developed on the opposite side of the power button. Then another started in the corner near the power button. One day the whole corner section including the power button itself just fell off in my hand.

This handset has NEVER been dropped or damaged in any way.

I have had HTC phones for many years (since the original Desire) and have always had great customer service when needed. I therefore contacted HTC and the guy on the phone seemed aware of this issue and said it would more than likely be covered by the warranty. I therefore chose to send it to htc for repair. I have insurance but as this was not a case of damage - accidental or otherwise - this would nt be needed.

I was shocked to then get a response saying the "damage" was not covered by warranty and they would charge me £70 for repair or £27 to return my phone - or choose to have them dispose of it - free of charge - nice touch!

I feel sorry for the poor guy who answered the phone when I called back to communicate my dismay. He eventually agreed to arrange a second assessment but said this was unlikely to alter the outcome.

I will wait for this response before contacting trading standards - this is a manufacturing defect that htc are not just trying to hush up - but profit from!
    I had this Cracks since my first HTC One mini. Currently I have my fourth mini.

I always send it in and always got a new one, or they repaired it. Last time they repaired it. Well they did, I got my phone back, the cracks were gone because several pieces were replaced. But my Volume Button wasnt working allright. There is a sound when you push the button, right ?
    My buttons were broken and when I touched them just a bit, they reacted.

Same procedure again, send the phone back.
    I've been waaiting for weeks. Online I could see that they wanted to repair it (online status) so I was waiting.
    One morning I looked up the Status again, and they said a new phone is coming.
    I did this couple of times now, and it always got repaired or replaced..
    But one thing is sure. The cracks were always coming back. And I know that this phone is going to get the cracks again.

I had cracks on the line in the middle of the backside. Two cracks near each other. I was affraid the piece in the middle will pop out.
    It did not, because I send it back. I guess it would have fallen out If I left the phone the way it was.

The service always said these cracks are normal signs of usage, and definitely in the case of a guarantee.

Im living in Germany, so maybe the law and the conditions are different.

I can only advise you all to send the phone back. The cracks are getting more and more.. Think about what will be left in like 1 or 2 years...
    HTC have now admitted the fault is thiers, a production fault. Get it sent back to them, don't put up with it. Technically it shouldn't affect use but it looks ugly and you shouldn't have to be burdened with it. If possible get it swapped for the black version or one of the latest production dates.