• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

HTC One Mini Cracks

Search This thread

AnGrY sCoTsMaN

Nov 17, 2011
Fife
All of us that have cracks on our device should post details of the faults on HTC's social media sites on a daily basis, let others see how shabby there customer service is. let's see how they respond to that! Bring on the revolution!! Mwahahahahah!
Probably get into trouble for posting this

Reactions: sburke111

sburke111

Jul 4, 2014
I have had this problem. There are many examples of this on various forums. I got a new HTC one mini in April, white/silver in perfect condition on arrival. It started with a hairline crack by the power button then one developed on the opposite side of the power button. Then another started in the corner near the power button. One day the whole corner section including the power button itself just fell off in my hand.

This handset has NEVER been dropped or damaged in any way.

I have had HTC phones for many years (since the original Desire) and have always had great customer service when needed. I therefore contacted HTC and the guy on the phone seemed aware of this issue and said it would more than likely be covered by the warranty. I therefore chose to send it to htc for repair. I have insurance but as this was not a case of damage - accidental or otherwise - this would nt be needed.

I was shocked to then get a response saying the "damage" was not covered by warranty and they would charge me £70 for repair or £27 to return my phone - or choose to have them dispose of it - free of charge - nice touch!

I feel sorry for the poor guy who answered the phone when I called back to communicate my dismay. He eventually agreed to arrange a second assessment but said this was unlikely to alter the outcome.

I will wait for this response before contacting trading standards - this is a manufacturing defect that htc are not just trying to hush up - but profit from!

raperot

Oct 23, 2012
Skopje
Hi,

Is there a wat to replace this plastic case alone or it has to go to full body replacement?
ANy one got a tutorial or some instructions? Where can we buy this case?

dipje

Oct 27, 2006
No clue which 'case' you talk about.

As far as I know, you can't really open the HTC mini by yourself. They pop the screen out through the front and put all the innards in another shell and seal the screen again... this is my _guess_. Not something you can easily do by yourself, unless you have the tools and skills to replace the modern all-in-one digitizers/screens of smartphones these days.

When I got mine back for repair I clearly got my own innards (same serial number, same unlocked bootloader, same files on /system) so they didn't touch that. Just turned it on to see if it booted and touched OK I guess. Or they have a sideloading method so they can fire up a maintenance / testing ROM without touching our /sytem (seems likely). That way they test if all the sensors and stuff are working, turn it off and ship it back again without having to start up your phone or access it.

So they _can_ open it, and the only way is through the screen, cause the rest is closed. It's one piece of aluminium with one 'skeleton' of plastic that fits in it.. and the aluminium is just too bendy, so the plastic also gets bend and it can't cope and starts cracking at the places where it's the thinnest (near the buttons mostly). Just a design mistake. Using a stiffer metal would've solved it (but would've added more weight I guess) or softer plastic that can bend a little (but that would've taken away the 'sturdy solid feeling' and would push it into Samsung plastic-feeling).
Using two materials but the skeleton is less strong and less bendy means it gets more forces and will crack eventually.

Mine got replaced, got new cracks now (once again at the volume buttons, and two on the little plastic strip that is at the back under the beats logo).

Friend of mine got the black one. I asked him 'how are the cracks on yours?'. "What do you mean, what cracks?". Picked up his phone, took a quick look, and yes: near the volume button a crack, near the power button one and one at the bottom near the usb socket. And his has _always_ been in a hard-case from the moment he got it. So the black version is not free from this defect. Maybe just happens less quickly, or people notice it less (white plastic with cracks get a little dust in them, so the cracks turn black and you notice them. black plastic with black cracks are not that noticeable).

John Mosca

Jun 20, 2014
I did some study before I buy this phone and I was very well surprised with it, When received just could not wait to test him and it is was better then expected.
But after some months cracks are appearing at least 4. Talked with sale representative in my country by the HTC site chat, and he didn't tell me much just to get in touch with a repair center called Regenersis and that they will book me a free pick-up at my home. Does any one knows how good are the Regenersis services, because I think that they will not substitute the all phone, they will only refurbish my housing, and I'm worried if they can damage the HW, I've seen some comment in internet that when the phone came back it started to do strange things, problems in HW.

Any comments would be apreciated

Thank's

Exhibitioner

Aug 19, 2014
localhost
If you're talking about the tiny (almost unseeable cracks without going right up to them), when the mini was made it it had that but it's not a big issue since they are only tiny cracks at the side and barely if at all viewable by anyone that isn't actually trying to find them on purpose especially with a case on which is useful to protect the device(every phone, wait minus the nokia brick that is the only phone that doesn't need one under any circumstance). The phone beats any other phone design in my personal opinion (even with the cracks there).

Atleast the HTC one and even the mini version dominates all over iPhone's(any iPhone ever made since the 6th one just released is only just getting features that android devices have had since like 2012? (image) nuff said. Not to mention iPhone 6 has tried to copy the style of the back of the HTC one :silly:

John Mosca

Jun 20, 2014
If you're talking about the tiny (almost unseeable cracks without going right up to them), when the mini was made it it had that but it's not a big issue since they are only tiny cracks at the side and barely if at all viewable by anyone that isn't actually trying to find them on purpose especially with a case on which is useful to protect the device(every phone, wait minus the nokia brick that is the only phone that doesn't need one under any circumstance). The phone beats any other phone design in my personal opinion (even with the cracks there).

Atleast the HTC one and even the mini version dominates all over iPhone's(any iPhone ever made since the 6th one just released is only just getting features that android devices have had since like 2012? nuff said. Not to mention iPhone 6 has tried to copy the style of the back of the HTC one :silly:

Not very tiny. I'll upload the photos from my phone.
Two are very tiny are on the back, but the 2 lateral ones are big, it seems that it's going to break by the middle. But just for the record I do like the phone but the assembly housing could be better, in spite that iPhone as had the same problems. Are you a men from the company? Do you know if this is not in the warranty conditions?

Attachments

• htc_crack-I.JPG
    htc_crack-I.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 115
  • htc_crack-IIII.JPG
    htc_crack-IIII.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 103

Exhibitioner

Aug 19, 2014
localhost
Two are very tiny are on the back, but the 2 lateral ones are big, it seems that it's going to break by the middle. But just for the record I do like the phone but the assembly housing could be better, in spite that iPhone as had the same problems. Are you a men from the company? Do you know if this is not in the warranty conditions?

Mine aren't like that, I only have like one tiny one at the side. Every HTC One Mini has them, it's what they were like when they were made, a men from what company? I'm not from Apple or HTC but I know that's why it's there. Not sure about that question either, try google around and find the warranty conditions from where you got it from.

kumpelfred

Sep 5, 2014
Mine is totally cracked (I think 9 visible cracks in total and more to come) but it's already my second device so I gave up on having my carrier replace them. I also have micro-cracks on the parts where the plastic frame bends around the corners. This totally sucks and I contacted HTC time and time again like 9 months ago when it first appeared, no answer to this day! I also remember there having been a thread where they collected photos of several user's cracked devices to send them to HTC but I guess HTC is willing to ignore all of it and just sit this one out :rolleyes:
But yes, maybe constantly spamming their Facebook site with pictures of cracked One Mini's would actually force them to make a new statement but I doubt that. If anyone's going to start this off, count me in :good:

RobbieR79

Oct 4, 2014
Bad Customer Service

Hi Guys

I have a HTC one mini on contract from T-Mobile, i love the handset, however it started to crack, in several places. i sent this in to the HTC repair centre to get it fixed, they did a great job and sent it back like new.

i had the phone back just over a month and, Yep, more cracks appeared by the volume button.

So i rang customer service, a nice lad explained to me that the metal on the device can get warm, and expand and when it cools it can contract - this can cause the plastic edge to soften and crack in the most used areas....

I explained that this is the second time im calling about this same issue and that i am obviously not very happy, he wanted me to send the phone in again for repair, - NO, WHY SHOULD I ???

I eventually (2 days later got a call back from an escalations manager) who agreed to upgrade me to a One M7,

i got this in writting via email, he promised me that "as soon as we get the phone, we will send out your replacment"

I sent the phone on Wed 1st Oct via UPS at 3pm, thet got the device on the 2nd at 10:52, but notified me they had it on the 3rd Oct at 2 pm.
As you can imagine, i rang to find out why my replacment has not been sent, and what they can do to help me!!!

Absolutly Beyond Useless was the advisor (Mira) so unhelpful and unwilling to get off her chair to help, or go the extra mile.... to send me out my replacement, i asked for Manager, she got funny and rude and said "NONE ARE IN, ALL GONE HOME, ONLY WORK TILL 5PM"

The Mini is a great device, but until HTC admit its a design FLAW, they will constantly try to get out of this every time.

Keep Pushing them and complaining, ill update when and if i get my repalacement M7

Last edited:

tr03cobra

Apr 11, 2011
I have a crack on mine near the volume rocker. Chatted online with a htc rep, they agree to replace it expedited shipping with a 599 hold on my credit card until my old phone is received. Other option is send it in for repair which takes 5-7 days.

John Mosca

Jun 20, 2014

Just to resume the end of my problems with the cracks and lately with the camera not focusing and giving a buzz noise. Besides a strange problem with the network that was falling down to no service. And in January 2015 I was separated from my One mini for a full month #Happy New Year.
At present time finally my HTC one mini was substitute by a htc one M7 after having problems with the repair services(Regeneris) that could not repair my one mini for lack of spare parts for almost a all month. Afterwards I've contacted the HTC on line and a few days later I was suggested to substitute my one mini for a one M7. And so far so good and let's hope that it will keep on going this way.

PuffDaddy_d

Aug 29, 2010
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 5
I have a crack on mine near the volume rocker. Chatted online with a htc rep, they agree to replace it expedited shipping with a 599 hold on my credit card until my old phone is received. Other option is send it in for repair which takes 5-7 days.
I know this response is very late, but.....

$599 hold?!?!? How does that make any sense?! The phone was only $400 brand new when it was first released in 2013! That's complete bull!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    An update on my situation.

My white HTC one mini developed a number of cracks in the places that everyone else has reported (on the back under the beats logo, in the thin strip near the top on the back, around the volume buttons, near the headphone jack, plus a few more).

I went back to the T-Mobile shop where I bought it and they were not very helpful. They said they could send it to the repair centre. I was expecting them to change it on the spot. Oh well.

So I phoned HTC directly instead. After explaining the problem they said they were unaware of this issue (which I find very hard to believe). They said I could send it in for repair BUT if they found no manufacturing fault with the device itself and deemed the cracks to have occurred through misuse then I would have to pay for the repair and the carriage!!

I was going to leave it and just live with the cracks, but then I thought NO, as I am positive I have never dropped or done anything else bad with the phone.

It's been away for 1 week and I just got it back. They didn't replace the phone, but have completely replaced the white plastic bezel. I didn't get billed for anything.

So all good now.

I will be watching the device very carefully from this point on to see if/when I get any cracks appearing!
    I'm surprised they didn't just send you a black model. That one seems to have no problem.
    Well I think they can't just send me something I didn't pay for... I'd even appreciate it, but I think it's against the law... But next time, I will ask about that :D

Did you send your phone back to HTC, or back to your carrier (Vodafone, E-Plus, Telekom or O2)?

Did you have to pay each time for them to take the phone back for inspection/repair?

Thanks!

I send it to the carrier, o2 Germany. And I haven't paid a penny, except for the porto the last time. (only paid porto one time; difficult story haha).

I was looking for info about my cracked HTC One Mini and i found a hole thread about this. I can't believe so many people have this problem.

This is what i have, it's a international version, unlocked.

I had cracks on exactly the same places, and even more. Seems like these are hot spots...

I got my newest mini about 5 days ago. And I already see a Crack. It's very smal though. This time I guess I will just give the phone back. It's a perfekt phone, except the development is kinda dead... and these cracks are annoying.
    And honestly I can't even imagine what phone could replace the mini, except for the bigger sibbling... :s

I will keep reporting about whats happening, maybe it can help someone out (Y)
    I have had this problem. There are many examples of this on various forums. I got a new HTC one mini in April, white/silver in perfect condition on arrival. It started with a hairline crack by the power button then one developed on the opposite side of the power button. Then another started in the corner near the power button. One day the whole corner section including the power button itself just fell off in my hand.

This handset has NEVER been dropped or damaged in any way.

I have had HTC phones for many years (since the original Desire) and have always had great customer service when needed. I therefore contacted HTC and the guy on the phone seemed aware of this issue and said it would more than likely be covered by the warranty. I therefore chose to send it to htc for repair. I have insurance but as this was not a case of damage - accidental or otherwise - this would nt be needed.

I was shocked to then get a response saying the "damage" was not covered by warranty and they would charge me £70 for repair or £27 to return my phone - or choose to have them dispose of it - free of charge - nice touch!

I feel sorry for the poor guy who answered the phone when I called back to communicate my dismay. He eventually agreed to arrange a second assessment but said this was unlikely to alter the outcome.

I will wait for this response before contacting trading standards - this is a manufacturing defect that htc are not just trying to hush up - but profit from!
    I had this Cracks since my first HTC One mini. Currently I have my fourth mini.

I always send it in and always got a new one, or they repaired it. Last time they repaired it. Well they did, I got my phone back, the cracks were gone because several pieces were replaced. But my Volume Button wasnt working allright. There is a sound when you push the button, right ?
    My buttons were broken and when I touched them just a bit, they reacted.

Same procedure again, send the phone back.
    I've been waaiting for weeks. Online I could see that they wanted to repair it (online status) so I was waiting.
    One morning I looked up the Status again, and they said a new phone is coming.
    I did this couple of times now, and it always got repaired or replaced..
    But one thing is sure. The cracks were always coming back. And I know that this phone is going to get the cracks again.

I had cracks on the line in the middle of the backside. Two cracks near each other. I was affraid the piece in the middle will pop out.
    It did not, because I send it back. I guess it would have fallen out If I left the phone the way it was.

The service always said these cracks are normal signs of usage, and definitely in the case of a guarantee.

Im living in Germany, so maybe the law and the conditions are different.

I can only advise you all to send the phone back. The cracks are getting more and more.. Think about what will be left in like 1 or 2 years...
    HTC have now admitted the fault is thiers, a production fault. Get it sent back to them, don't put up with it. Technically it shouldn't affect use but it looks ugly and you shouldn't have to be burdened with it. If possible get it swapped for the black version or one of the latest production dates.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2