HTC One tiny gap between casing

Search This thread

Skywalker513

Aug 31, 2010
What's your s/n skywalker?

Device that i received today (My 5th Order) : Serial SH35LW906355 (China) , The phone is perfect with NO gaps at all.
Order 4 made 3 weeks ago , sorry dont have the device at home right now but its China as well and its close to perfect with same tiny tiny gap on top but its almost non existent
Order 3 made 1 month ago : Serial FA33VW904674 (Taiwan) . Had a small gap on top where the speaker is, sent for repair , awaiting results.
Order 2 is Tawain Serial: FA33vw903422 and its gapless as well.
Order 1 made 2 months ago : Serial FA33VW905807 (Taiwan) Small gap again where speaker is

My overall observation is , the Chinese factory producing gapless devices or perfectly close to that.

Last edited:

Nippero

Oct 13, 2008
New York, NY
I'm on my second HTC One right now.

First one had gaps, overhang and a recessed power button.
Second one, I THOUGHT it was perfect and it ALMOST is. It has the tiny gap up top which I dont care about.
But I have noticed an odd bulge in the plastic on the top center. I.e. if I hold the phone in front of me at a certain angle, I can see a small plastic bump coming out of the top, past the aluminum.

Theres also still a slight bit of overhang... But I think I can get over this. Nowhere near as bad as the first one I got.

Serial is HT35LW***

rkial

Nov 25, 2012
A question for people who have been suing the phone for a while..

Does the gap get worse with time? and also, is the glue spread throughout the back of the speaker grill and not just the edge (obviously not over the speaker holes and camera/sensors).. Is there any real danger of the thing coming off?

My phone has a tiny gap at the top... I cant feel it, I mean the grill is a tiny bit below the plastic band.. so i cant feel the grill when I run my finger over the gap.. so it isnt likely to be pulled off over time that way..

Not really keen on getting a replacement because everything else is fine..

Just wondering if the grill could come off totally...
Any ideas?

dirtyhamster73

Sep 26, 2010
Wakefield, MA
A question for people who have been suing the phone for a while..

Does the gap get worse with time? and also, is the glue spread throughout the back of the speaker grill and not just the edge (obviously not over the speaker holes and camera/sensors).. Is there any real danger of the thing coming off?

My phone has a tiny gap at the top... I cant feel it, I mean the grill is a tiny bit below the plastic band.. so i cant feel the grill when I run my finger over the gap.. so it isnt likely to be pulled off over time that way..

Not really keen on getting a replacement because everything else is fine..

Just wondering if the grill could come off totally...
Any ideas?

I started out with one little gap at the top left, it now runs the whole length of the top. Didn't have a gap at the bottom and now I do. They are just hairline gaps though....haven't noticed the top getting any worse but the bottom does seem to be getting wider. I'm assuming what's happening is the heat from the phone is loosening the glue and causing the speaker grill to loosen, not sure if that's really why it's happening though.
There is a fix on here for gaps though, it involves using a blow dryer, getting the phone hot, and using clamps over night.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2250527

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: rkial

rkial

Nov 25, 2012
Dust going in isnt a huge concern.. the only thing in there is the front facing camera, which I dont use that often.. and that part doesnt have the gap.. it starts after that and runs across the top..

Dont think I'll be using a blow dryer on my One anytime soon.. There isnt a over hang so I'm not going to accidentally pull it off... as long as it doesnt come off over time, its all good.

Worse case scenario, I'll put on a case like the double dip which cover the top and bottom..

It really isnt something that I'd ever notice or think twice about if I hadnt seen the thread here.. Now I seem to be checking it every day.. annoying.

milesjohnson

Feb 27, 2011
dang i JUST noticed i am having the same problem :( right on the corner where lock button is. i saw somebodys who was in this same spot and it was way worse than mine but nonetheless mine is still quite annoying

now the catch is i traded with someone on craigslist and didnt save his number and did not get box (i couldnt find my box either) is there an easy fix to this or how else could i trade it in for non deffective one. its bearable, but annoying

Tyler DeLarge

Mar 4, 2012
Lamezia Terme
pp6i5hjb5
What do you think of this? nothing happens if I normally press
http://postimg.org/image/pp6i5hjb5/

saifbukhari

Oct 28, 2011
Alright, after analyzing the forum with build issues, here are my findings on my HTC One Dev Edition "HT34GW" series.
Well after waiting for almost a month I got the Device only to find the below:-
1) slight gaps on top (can ignore)
2) power button looked flimsy (can ignore)
3) the speakers gave random crackling noise (not acceptable)
4) One Dead/Stuck pixel (are you kidding me? )

Currently going for another handset but this time 32GB version although I wanted the 64GB so badly but since we dont get it officialy the 64gb version in India so have to go wih the 32gb.Wish me luck folks need it badly especially after the first handset issue.

Also the guys at HTC USA were friendly and have processed the RMA but that is again 20-30 days delay as far as I've seen.

here are some pics i thought to share:-

Skywalker513

Aug 31, 2010
tecebru and

As i mentioned before i have sent my device for repair to HTC regarding the gap between the speaker. The got back to me yesterday with a quote for £126.72 saying that there is a scratch a small scratch on the device thus the gap appear due to customer abuse. While there is a small scratch on the top back of mine device due to me carelessly putting the keys in the same pocket. No matter how much i argued with them that the gap is a COMMON problem they simply denied the fact that its due to poor manufacturing and asked to either pay or have it sent back to me as it was. Basically unless your device is immaculate condition they will call it CUSTOMER ABUSE and you will get nowhere. :confused:

This is what they send back to me . I tried to explain to them that the device came with gap out of the box they played ignorant :silly:

97i4g9.jpg

Sindroid

Apr 4, 2010
Bergen
I dont care about the gap. However, screen aint flush with the top speaker and its annoying to feel that ruff edge when pulling down the notification bar..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Skywalker513

Aug 31, 2010
I can't believe months after its initial release we still talking about gaps.

Just get over it, some phones will have gaps, who gives a poop.

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

Em the people who paid 500-700 $ for a top end device to expect the equivalent quality for their money. Plus new customers who purchased the device recently will eventually end up on this forum as long as HTC keeps producing poor quality devices it will be a never ending circle.

Reactions: mitas35

phsetaknev

Feb 26, 2012
Sydney
Alright, after analyzing the forum with build issues, here are my findings on my HTC One Dev Edition "HT34GW" series.
Well after waiting for almost a month I got the Device only to find the below:-
1) slight gaps on top (can ignore)
2) power button looked flimsy (can ignore)
3) the speakers gave random crackling noise (not acceptable)
4) One Dead/Stuck pixel (are you kidding me? )

Currently going for another handset but this time 32GB version although I wanted the 64GB so badly but since we dont get it officialy the 64gb version in India so have to go wih the 32gb.Wish me luck folks need it badly especially after the first handset issue.

Also the guys at HTC USA were friendly and have processed the RMA but that is again 20-30 days delay as far as I've seen.

here are some pics i thought to share:-

Well, I bought HTC One yesterday and i couldn't find any problems u mentioned except for the 'first image' problem...... no dead pixel, no plastic lines coming out, no crackling sound etc etc.......only the tiny gap between the speaker grill on top. S/N: FA35W

ipwngeek

Jul 2, 2011
Grimstad
I have a hair thin gap at the very top where speaker-alluminium meats body: does not bother me at all because of the small size, but working as a retailer, I'll exchange it if it gets worse :)

zarch1972

Jul 5, 2010
Sheffield, UK
I have noticed the gap before I purchase the device but It did not stop me from buying it

What about this one I've just received? The gap on it is the least of my worries, there's flaws all over it. Serial is SH35TW, so just off the production line?

Full set here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickwall/sets/72157633989700459/

A selected few

MJW_5696.jpg by Zarch1972, on Flickr

MJW_5682.jpg by Zarch1972, on Flickr

MJW_5676.jpg by Zarch1972, on Flickr

MJW_5675.jpg by Zarch1972, on Flickr

MJW_5672.jpg by Zarch1972, on Flickr

MJW_5671.jpg by Zarch1972, on Flickr

MJW_5656.jpg by Zarch1972, on Flickr

Check out the rest. :(

Last edited: