HTC Shift and Vista SP1

Search This thread

danielherrero

Oct 3, 2006
Madrid
www.softwaredhr.es
Because of the intregration between vista and snavue I am afraid we will have to wait for htc updates. This weekday I ran windows update and the graphic card driver was updated. As result I only could work on 800x600. Higher res was disabled so I ve to undo the update....:(
Dani

marcoma

Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
Wow- I thought SP1 would be the least of problems... I thought about getting one but guess I'll hold off a bit until some of these problems have been sorted out. SP1 is something I wouldn't want to be witout... doesn't have major new 'things' in it, but the summary of all the little fixes is really nice.
What is your general perception of the device so far? Is the battery life too constricting? I was looking for a machine that would allow me to do some 'heavy' email (filing / writing) while on the road in Outlook / Vista and do a quick check / sorting of emails when I just have 5 minutes or so where booting up a machine wouldn't make the most sense... does it seem to do this (provided we get a better email client on CE (Flexview for example) installed on the machine?
What are our chances of getting more storage to the WM6 part? the 256MB RAM on board don't quite do it for me... and apparently the SD card or HD cannot be accessed...?

Thanks!

koala996

Sep 18, 2007
Bruxelles-Brussels
what is your overall thougts about the Shift ? have you found anything annoying on it ?

what about the origami 2.0 experience? on videos, it seems that it was slow to launch... what about using it all day ? headaches, eyes closing, eyes pain?

thanks for sharing your experience

I absolutely love it but I am saying this from a professional perspective ... In real life I actually sell innovation in the end-user workspace, so it is my job to sell flexibility and mobility .... from that perspective the Shift is a perfect match. I have decided (as a testcase) to stick to the Shift for the next 2 weeks and leave my laptop locked away. (Just to see how well the Shift performs in real life). Over the next few weeks I will only be carrying the Shift, the dongle and power supply, as well as my ThinkOutside BT keyboard and mouse. To top that off I will only be carrying a biometric access stick into our company's Virtual Desktop environment.

(Mind you, I do have a few points of criticism though ... One of them for instance is the fact that the Shift has a UK keyboard instead of an (international) US one. Also the fact that one cannot set the SnapVue part to display in the 24h format)

Aside from that, people should not forget that they can't expect the Shift to deliver Core Duo performance. That simply is not it's purpose. The Stealy A110 Performance however is more than acceptable for the function I described above.

Last edited:

daniel.cada

Oct 5, 2005
Přerov
Solution found

At first sight it looks like SP1 is not going down well on the Shift. The ShagCtrl (Shift Control Center) application (who for god's sake invented that shortname ShagCtrl??) exits with an eventID 1000 error and there seem to be some overall stability issues ....

After installing of SP1 stopped working Shift Control Center and Audio driver on my Shift too. Solution of this problem is installing Control Center again. Run setup.exe located in directory C:\Program Files\HTC\control\ . After restart everything works well.

.... but, after running well for a few hour, problem is back...... sorry for wrong suggestion

Last edited:

marcoma

Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
One of the benefits of SP1 is actually related to Readyboost... if you enable it (in another thread under this topic) without SP1, the encryption key is 'lost' when going into sleep / hybernation. This means that after a wakeup the data will have to be reloaded. This is fixed in SP1 so you should see a better performance after resuming from sleep / hybernation.
As already mentioned, the copy performance is also drastically improved. The battery time should see a boost of maybe 2 - 5% (very subjectively depending on your workload) as the CPU is now allowed more often than not to enter sleep-mode (there will be off course no difference whatsoever when using mediaplayer or other parts that keep the CPU busy).
For more tips, check out
http://origamiproject.com/forums/thread/19843.aspx

wu5262

Mar 17, 2006
London
Hi guys, may I ask you where you get your SP1? is it through the automatic windows update? or is it just a release you download from the internet?

apoparis

Feb 4, 2009
I have problems with my usb tool, can it be because of the sp1?
Concludig, is it better with it or wothout it (sp1 I mean)?