HTC Universal active?

Search This thread

notime2d8

Jul 31, 2007
Birmingham
Who still using his Universal?

I do! and still loving it :)

Me too!!!

I’m still using 3 of mines up until I find a good replacement; I’m stuck on the open hardware and design. I really wish that I was good enough to upgrade the internals myself to something better. I’m waiting for D-two to finish up the bootloader so that I can do some full installs of either a light android OS or a Linux gaming/emulator OS.

Reactions: orb3000

orb3000

Retired Senior Moderator
XDA App Taskforce
Great mate!
Looking forward to get it fully working ;)

Me too!!!

I’m still using 3 of mines up until I find a good replacement; I’m stuck on the open hardware and design. I really wish that I was good enough to upgrade the internals myself to something better. I’m waiting for D-two to finish up the bootloader so that I can do some full installs of either a light android OS or a Linux gaming/emulator OS.

cfds

Nov 2, 2006
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Not using it daily anymore...but I still love the design.
Comparing it with the S3 I have now...day and night!
A shame the internet/browser is stone age compared to the newer android phones. Love the keyboard.
Had mine upgraded to 128 mb ram to get iGO8 running fluidly on it...have a lot of good memory's with it while using it while traveling trough the States with it! I will never sell it!
Just now I struggle to get the wifi connection connected...

KSandbergFL

Dec 6, 2008

I use mine daily. I have it running Windows Mobile 6.1 with the HTC Diamond interface. Mostly it sits on my nightstand as an alarm clock/radio... but in June it went with me on a trip to Japan... and in early December it went with me on a business trip to New Mexico for a week. I put a TMobile SIM in it, and I left my laptop at home and relied solely on the Universal. It did great! It plays movies, sends emails, takes calls, surfs the web... and it looks so unique I constantly get asked "what IS that?" .

I wish some manufacturer would bring back the clamshell design, I think the Universal is the perfect form factor... the keyboard is awesome.

Reactions: orb3000

notime2d8

Jul 31, 2007
Birmingham
It looks like my use/time is over...

It's a sad day for me. My other hobbies, projects, and life have all changed leaving my Universals and related projects behind. I'm selling my last 4 Universals together on Ebay and my 3 Blue Angels. I had just gotten the one I always wanted too, the all black O2 Exec with blue buttons. :crying:.

It's been some fun years, I hope to see everyone if they ever make a HTC Universal 2, it's not looking likely though.

Last edited:

jeux_1

Jan 24, 2005
Belfast
It's a sad day for me. My other hobbies, projects, and life have all changed leaving my Universals and related projects behind. I'm selling my last 4 Universals together on Ebay and my 3 Blue Angels. I had just gotten the one I always wanted too, the all black O2 Exec with blue buttons. :crying:.

It's been some fun years, I hope to see everyone if they ever make a HTC Universal 2, it's not looking likely though.

Just ordered the nexus 6 and still browsing the HTC universal forum... still have great memories of that thing.

KSandbergFL

Dec 6, 2008
HTC Universal has no more sound :(

I have had my Universal for over 8 years now, it has been a good device.

A few weeks ago, I popped a SIM back into it, and tried to make a call - no sound! I poked around some more, and my poor Universal no longer makes any sound at all, thru the speakers or the phone. The mic on the phone no longer works either.

It still sends/receives SMS texts, and still connects to the internet via Wifi and 3G, so it is still somewhat useful. If I can get it working again as a "USB Modem", I will keep it... otherwise, it may be time to let it go..... :crying:

hackint0sh

May 25, 2008
Mannheim, Baden-Württemberg
Hi,

I bought one today (it was sold as defect device because of missing charger). Hope I will use it for some time.. I totally loved it when I was a teenager but I never had the money to get one (back then I used other nice devices but as you know - during childhood you never had enough money for that kind of stuff). Now I'm trying to get all the devices I always wanted to own (some kind of a childhood dream, devices like HTC Universal, Nokia E90, Palm T/X & Lifedrive and these things..).

But in daily use I have some other devices such as 5C, 6+ and some HTC and Palm smartphones.

seruss

May 2, 2015
Tychy
I also had a problem with no sound - it was working only on headphones... till today I'm not sure what was the issue, but i tried to overclock processor, cleaning jack input and other stuff.
I am a proud owner of 128MB RAM version, but I don't use it daily

orb3000

Retired Senior Moderator
XDA App Taskforce
And mine still rocking!

photo_2021-03-26_01-40-34.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Oswald Boelcke

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not using it daily anymore...but I still love the design.
    Comparing it with the S3 I have now...day and night!
    A shame the internet/browser is stone age compared to the newer android phones. Love the keyboard.
    Had mine upgraded to 128 mb ram to get iGO8 running fluidly on it...have a lot of good memory's with it while using it while traveling trough the States with it! I will never sell it!
    Just now I struggle to get the wifi connection connected...

Me too!!!

me too...

glad to know i'm not alone hehehe

cheers

I use mine daily. I have it running Windows Mobile 6.1 with the HTC Diamond interface. Mostly it sits on my nightstand as an alarm clock/radio... but in June it went with me on a trip to Japan... and in early December it went with me on a business trip to New Mexico for a week. I put a TMobile SIM in it, and I left my laptop at home and relied solely on the Universal. It did great! It plays movies, sends emails, takes calls, surfs the web... and it looks so unique I constantly get asked "what IS that?" .

I wish some manufacturer would bring back the clamshell design, I think the Universal is the perfect form factor... the keyboard is awesome.