[HUAWEI] Android Q GSI

irony_delerium

Jan 13, 2013
Portland, OR
So, as has probably been spotted in various places, Google dropped an Android Q GSI here recently.

One thing it requires (which breaks because Huawei, of course) is AVB support. Looks like init is unable to find the vbmeta image to verify and so it throws it's hands up with a "screw you, I'm going home".

Fortunately, this is relatively easy to work around - I have it booting on a Mate 9 that's been upgraded to EMUI 9, and I wouldn't be surprised if others have the same issue.

In any case, if this might be the reason why you're not booting, copy the attached file into /system/lib64 using TWRP or something.

There's other things broken on it - but that'll get it booting at least.

EDIT:

Link to patched Q GSI (GMS arm64 QPP2.190228.021):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dnEKJbjoiGhHuL6BLM8qXXyBFOKkE1bD

The only thing changed from the Google distributed image is the replacement of /system/lib64/libfs_mgr.so.

Attachments

Last edited:

irony_delerium

Jan 13, 2013
Portland, OR
What works/doesn't work for you?
In the bit of playing I did, wifi to unsecured networks works, secured does nothing. Most of the apps included seem to work - but I didn't get too far into playing with it.

Can't say anything about cellular, as the device I loaded it on has a dud modem. It does read imei 1 successfully, though, so it might work on another device.

irony_delerium

Jan 13, 2013
Portland, OR
Doesn't seem to work on the Huawei Mate 10 Pro.
Hmm. I've heard mixed reports.

I've only tried it on the one device - MHA-AL00, EMUI 9.0.1.150 base. I figured it might be relevant to other people since there were a fair number of people on the main website post commenting on problems with AVB, which led me to that workaround.

I installed it with twrp over adb:

adb push libfs_mgr.so /tmp
adb shell
mkdir /system_root
mount -t ext4 /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/system /system_root
cat /tmp/libfs_mgr.so > /system_root/system/lib64/libfs_mgr.so
reboot

On reboot, after a long wait (seems to take a minute to get to boot animation, that's Huawei for you), it came up to the welcome screen.

Edit - changed cp / chmod / chcon to cat, as it doesn't replace the file, keeping it's previous permissions & security label.

Last edited:

irony_delerium

Jan 13, 2013
Portland, OR
Does it work on devices other than huawei?
There's no reason for it not to. All that the patch I applied does is make it so that Android doesn't go looking for vbmeta information, so if that's the reason it fails to boot elsewhere this might allow it to work. If the image from Google already works, or it otherwise gets to the Android boot animation, this build won't do anything for you.

Reactions: Robert314

THE MAXIMUM POWER

Feb 4, 2016
It booted on my MediaPad M5 but with no wifi, it stuck at "saved" but never mind, i just wanted to see the Q 2 beta, your fix might work as well with other unbootable roms like Pixel experience.
I really appreciate your work

G

GuestK00177

Did you have to do any other than what's instructed? Id like to take it for a spin.
Also, unrelated, what's with some of our "avatars" are green while others yellow?
I'm pretty sure @fullofhell was looking for an actual bootable build, and not just hear say.

Haha yeah Bro i tried this yesterday thanks tho