Huawei E5372 custom firmware

MrFLY

Apr 8, 2008
RECOGNITION AS LTE MODEM BY OTHER DEVICES

Hi ValdikSS,
I flashed the modem with your latest release
"E5372 21.290.23.00.00 webui 17.100.19.01.00 mod v1.5.2"

At the moment it seems to be working well, I have to try the vpn.

I have only one problem that I can't solve and I don't understand why.

Previously with the FW Stock the modem was correctly recognized by my fritzbox 7390 as a backup lte unit.

Now, on the other hand, it is recognized as a USB disk and I do not have the possibility to navigate via the modem with the fritz Box.

Do you have ways to show me to solve the problem?

Thank you for your support .

ValdikSS

Nov 10, 2007
Previously with the FW Stock the modem was correctly recognized by my fritzbox 7390 as a backup lte unit.

Now, on the other hand, it is recognized as a USB disk and I do not have the possibility to navigate via the modem with the fritz Box.
Your FritzBox can't switch modem to another composition (usb_modeswitch is missing or not configured properly). It could be that your previous firmware has special settings which allowed it to be used with FritzBox.

Try choosing "AT, Network" under "USB Mode" in advanced OLED menu. It should help.

Reactions: MrFLY

MrFLY

Apr 8, 2008
your fritzbox can't switch modem to another composition (usb_modeswitch is missing or not configured properly). It could be that your previous firmware has special settings which allowed it to be used with fritzbox.

Try choosing "at, network" under "usb mode" in advanced oled menu. It should help.
ok i try now !

Bolorios

Apr 12, 2020
Hello ValdikSS,
First of all thank you very much for your work and commitment.
Stock E5372 is a dead beat product and you contributed to make it quite flexible !
However i have a stupid problem : i have followed your readme instructions but i can't manage to flash my firmware correctly.
balong_flash.exe get me this :

Firmware Version: :B710D0:21.290.23.00.00
Build date: 2015.04.17 09:35:35
Title: version 1, platform HWEW11.1
Found 12 partitions
Entering HDLC mode... ok
Protocol version: 7200B--SKCBADZM
Device ID: HUAWEI B710D0
----------------------------------------------------
Write section 0 - Ptable_R1
Block 0 of 1
No response to block write command # 0

Any idea what went wrong ?

I am trying to flash your firmware on an Orange DOMINO 4G Airbox (=French Telecom Huawei E5372)

Bolorios

Apr 12, 2020
Hello ValdikSS,
First of all thank you very much for your work and commitment.
Stock E5372 is a dead beat product and you contributed to make it quite flexible !
However i have a stupid problem : i have followed your readme instructions but i can't manage to flash my firmware correctly.
balong_flash.exe get me this :

Firmware Version: :B710D0:21.290.23.00.00
Build date: 2015.04.17 09:35:35
Title: version 1, platform HWEW11.1
Found 12 partitions
Entering HDLC mode... ok
Protocol version: 7200B--SKCBADZM
Device ID: HUAWEI B710D0
----------------------------------------------------
Write section 0 - Ptable_R1
Block 0 of 1
No response to block write command # 0

Any idea what went wrong ?

I am trying to flash your firmware on an Orange DOMINO 4G Airbox (=French Telecom Huawei E5372)

Nevermind I have finally managed to make it work by doing first a factory reset before using balong_flash.
I had previously made some AT changes (SETPORT="FF;12,16,A2") in order to use NCM connection with OpenWRT.
Maybe disabling first configuration was not a good idea before using balong_flash ?
Anyway, my device is now running with your custom firmware and I thank you for that !

dakalaka

Apr 20, 2020
Hello VladikSS. i cannot manage to make ovpn work at modem startup . the "ovpn_scripts" folder is missiong from the /bin folder and i do not understand why. if i run ovpn manually it works flawlessly. all this on a E5372 model. can You please support? thank You in advance.

ValdikSS

Nov 10, 2007
Hello VladikSS. i cannot manage to make ovpn work at modem startup . the "ovpn_scripts" folder is missiong from the /bin folder and i do not understand why. if i run ovpn manually it works flawlessly. all this on a E5372 model. can You please support? thank You in advance.
The foler is /system/bin/openvpn_scripts. Make sure you have the latest firmware (v1.5.2).

dakalaka

Apr 20, 2020
The foler is /system/bin/openvpn_scripts. Make sure you have the latest firmware (v1.5.2).
Thank You for You prompt reply. yes I confirm that it is OpenVPN_scripts the name of the folder i am talking about but that folder does not exist on my device. using putty and navigating to /system/bin/ I cannot see that folder. i tried reinstalling the latest firmware available on GitHub(1.5.2) but it is the same. if i want to create manually the folder and add the files in it(files taken from the source in GitHub) the result is that the file is created but after restarting the device, the folder disappears. i am frustrated by this behavior of the device. do You have any hints on how to be able to either install correctly the firmware(if this is what i am doing wrong - i am using "balong_flash flash_file.bin" command in order to install the firmware and everything goes smoothly) either to copy the needed file onto the device(if that only would do the trick). thank You in adavance for Your help. Regards.

dakalaka

Apr 20, 2020
I'm sure the folder exists on v1.5.2, I just checked that. You're doing something wrong.
I agree with You but I do not know what :) . is there a tutorial in order to make sure I am not missing something? the reassuring thing is that the vpn is working correctly if I switch it on manually by command line. it`s that that folder that is not where it is supposed to be. if I were to make a clean install how would I do it please? I have reflashed the firmware and it is strange that the ovpn profile file that was customized to my needs was not erased after reflashing. how to make a clean re-flashing? Regards.

ValdikSS

Nov 10, 2007
how to make a clean re-flashing? Regards.
You can't. Perform factory reset from the web interface, that would clean userdata, keeping /online partition intact. Reflashing will always replace /system and /app contents. You can't accidentally delete /system or /app contents either, the partition is mount read-only by default. If /system/bin/openvpn_scripts folder is missing for you for some reason, maybe it's your software.
I'm not quite sure what are you trying to do. If you think that /system/bin/openvpn_scripts is for openvpn autorun, you're wrong. The firmware does not have any openvpn autorun automatization.

dakalaka

Apr 20, 2020
That was exactly what i was hoping that folder would do. So that means that each time i rwatart my device i have to run command line for the vpn client to start? If yes, there is no way in automating this process on startup? What is the scripts folder role in the firmware please? Regards.

ValdikSS

Nov 10, 2007
That was exactly what i was hoping that folder would do. So that means that each time i rwatart my device i have to run command line for the vpn client to start? If yes, there is no way in automating this process on startup? What is the scripts folder role in the firmware please? Regards.
You need to manually modify /system/etc/autorun.sh according to your needs. You can also create /online/oled_custom.sh, to add enable/disable element in advanced screen, I use that to toggle OpenVPN connection.

/system/bin/openvpn_scripts consists of up/down scripts which correctly handle NAT, DNS redirection and other modem compatibility stuff. Read readme in this folder, you can't use .ovpn configuration without manual modification for this device.

dakalaka

Apr 20, 2020
You need to manually modify /system/etc/autorun.sh according to your needs. You can also create /online/oled_custom.sh, to add enable/disable element in advanced screen, I use that to toggle OpenVPN connection.

/system/bin/openvpn_scripts consists of up/down scripts which correctly handle NAT, DNS redirection and other modem compatibility stuff. Read readme in this folder, you can't use .ovpn configuration without manual modification for this device.
Thank You for all the above information. Unfortunately i do not have the knowledge to create either the customization of autorun.sh nor the oled_custom.sh. Are they available somewhere or no one has uploaded such info? Regards,

dakalaka

Apr 20, 2020

i believe i found the command that should start open vpn client on the router:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH = / app / lib: / system / lib: / system / lib / glibc: / system / bin / openvpn --daemon --config /online/client.ovpn

is this correct? but it does not seem to work. it the syntax correct?

Regards,

ValdikSS

Nov 10, 2007
i believe i found the command that should start open vpn client on the router:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH = / app / lib: / system / lib: / system / lib / glibc: / system / bin / openvpn --daemon --config /online/client.ovpn

is this correct? but it does not seem to work. it the syntax correct?

Regards,
It doesn't seem correct with all those spaces.
README.txt states:
If you want to add OpenVPN into /etc/autorun.sh startup script, run it as follows:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/app/lib:/system/lib:/system/lib/glibc /system/bin/openvpn

dakalaka

Apr 20, 2020
It doesn't seem correct with all those spaces.
README.txt states:
Hello ValdikSS. thank You for the reply. it does not seem to work(yet). i have a problem though...in the readme file I do not have any instructions about it.please find here bellow the content of the readme i have.:

These scripts setup TUN/TAP Masquerading (NAT) and handle OpenVPN pushed DNS servers.
Use them from OpenVPN client configuration file with --up and --down directives.

Proper setup is as follows:

script-security 2
up /system/bin/openvpn_scripts/client.up
down /system/bin/openvpn_scripts/client.down
up-restart

Do not use persist-tun!

See also: /app/bin/oled_hijack/net.{down,up}

What am i Missing?? can You please send me the contents of the readme file in regards to the Openvpn setup?
Thank You in advance,
Regards,