• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Huawei Histen 3D Audio

Search This thread

XDARoni

XDA Community Manager
Huawei Histen 3D audio technology brings the experience of live music to the Honor 9. With innovative ultra-wide 3D sound field technology, you’ll be able to enjoy virtual surround sound through your earphones in three different modes – near, front and wide – that replicate the effect of listening to music through traditional headphones, in a home theater and at a concert hall. Immerse yourself in music, whenever, wherever.

Honor talked a lot about the audio on the Honor 9 being "An audiophile's dream". Many different phones have this same type of feature where you can change the sound of your music to replicate different environments. The Honor 9 calls this their 3D Audio technology. When compared to other phones with this feature, the Honor 9 is noticeably better.

The purity equalizer can be adjusted just like any other equalizer. Your music will sound good without ever being blown out. I've noticed in other phones turning the bass up will cause lots of distortion. This problem doesn't exist on the Honor 9

Screenshot_20170724-061732.pngScreenshot_20170724-061743.pngScreenshot_20170724-061749.png

To use the Huawei Histen sounds effects, you must be using a pair of heads that are plugged in to your phone. This will not work when connected to bluetooth. I spent some time listening to all kinds of music through Play Music and I really like the way it sounds. It's probably the best sounding audio experience on a smartphone.

The headphones I'm using are the Sony MDR-100ABN. What headphones are you using and what's you experience like?

abdulmotin

Feb 15, 2018
I have honor 9 my orginal file was deleted, then I'm instull miror software, and problem is my music pleayer not active histen 3d audio. Please help me what can I do

JBolho

Nov 8, 2011
Porto
My experience is simple... It's not bad, but definitely NOT an "audiophile dream"
It's a very long way from what i had with Viper4Android on my previous device (ZF2)
In the end, it's just another simple equalizer with no real sound enhancement features.

euro_s-b

Dec 26, 2007
Coming from an Honor 7 with Viper4Android (amazing sound on 1MORE E1001 Triple-driver headset) , to me the sound quality of Honor 9's Histen is rather poor and very disappointing. Even worse that Viper4Android doesn't seem to work on a device with Histen. So, I'm afraid that the Honor 9 is a large step backwards and a bad choice whet it comes to listening experience.

Addicted2Bass

Sep 30, 2012
Coming from an Honor 7 with Viper4Android (amazing sound on 1MORE E1001 Triple-driver headset) , to me the sound quality of Honor 9's Histen is rather poor and very disappointing. Even worse that Viper4Android doesn't seem to work on a device with Histen. So, I'm afraid that the Honor 9 is a large step backwards and a bad choice whet it comes to listening experience.

Try a custom rom!

euro_s-b

Dec 26, 2007
I got an Huawei P Smart, but that histen is very weak, i run an equalizer to get some proper sound, i didnt found root options yet, but since my phone is brand new dont want to root and install a rom
I've bought two Honor 9 phones. One for my wife and another one for myself. My Wife's phone is the testing device. Root (Magisk) was easy, but now for the difficult part: installing a custom rom -> bricking -> unbricking -> and so on. Don't know, how she will like her brandnew bricked phone.

euro_s-b

Dec 26, 2007
An audiophile's nightmare

That crappy "histen" thing seems to prevent me from installing any useful audio mod e.g. Viper4Android. After some weeks of trying to get feasible audio quality out of the Honor 9, I decided to sell that piece of hardware and stay with my Honor 7.

Last edited:

ORO0147

Mar 30, 2018
Audio Quality for me is pretty great! But there are some problems.

The equalizer sounds great on lower than 80% volume but on higher volumes it doesn't sound as good. But on the other hand, absolute high volumes sound great with 3D Audio on but sound not as good on lower volumes. This problem seems weird how the equalizer sounds great only on low volumes but 3D sounds great only on high volumes so I just keep 3D Audio on all the time which upsets me since I'd like to tweak my audio with the equalizer more. I have seen though that 3D makes sound just a bit more spacious but I always keep it on Near since Front or Wide sound absolutely horrid to me.

JBolho

Nov 8, 2011
Porto
The equalizer sounds great on lower than 80% volume but on higher volumes it doesn't sound as good. But on the other hand, absolute high volumes sound great with 3D Audio on but sound not as good on lower volumes. This problem seems weird how the equalizer sounds great only on low volumes but 3D sounds great only on high volumes so I just keep 3D Audio on all the time which upsets me since I'd like to tweak my audio with the equalizer more. I have seen though that 3D makes sound just a bit more spacious but I always keep it on Near since Front or Wide sound absolutely horrid to me.

The only solution I found for a decent sound quality on my cheaper in-ear's was using 3D on Near and compliment it with Pulsar's equalizer.
Not ideal but nice... Sounds better if you have better headphones.

ORO0147

Mar 30, 2018
The only solution I found for a decent sound quality on my cheaper in-ear's was using 3D on Near and compliment it with Pulsar's equalizer.

Nah my headphones are pretty good. The Wide and Front options just sound too robotic or processed, while Near doesn't ruin the sound and increases the quality of the sound.

Reactions: JBolho

ORO0147

Mar 30, 2018
Trying It Out More, It Doesn't Seem As Bad

I decided to try out the Wide option more and to be honest, it doesn't sound as bad as before. I guess the music I had been listening to before didn't work well with the virtualized sound but if the music does work well, it provides sometimes a more clear and wide sound with both bass and treble being dynamically enhanced. Mid frequencies seem a bit off though and it doesn't work too well with just voice and no music.

ORO0147

Mar 30, 2018
I got an Huawei P Smart, but that histen is very weak, i run an equalizer to get some proper sound, i didnt found root options yet, but since my phone is brand new dont want to root and install a rom

I think the phone can only reach it's full audio capabilities with 3D Sound on. At least for me.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

I guess I just needed to get used to how it changes the audio. But after getting used to it, it sounds pretty dam great! There are some situations where near will sound. There are still some situations though where Near will sound better than Wide but I still keep Near most of the time on but really like how much more depth Wide provides. Still, Wide doesn't always sound good with everything and I wish Huawei packed better DACs and AMPs to their budget phones so the sound could be even louder. And for some reason, the Equalizer doesn't allow the phone to reach it's full audio capability but 3D pretty much sounds just as good.

Top Liked Posts