Huawei Mate 20 pro Canadian discussion thread

Search This thread

gauthier81

May 8, 2011
Chatham
I am on Rogers. I see the P20 series and the Mate 10 are on the list to get January security updates but no mention of the Mate 20 Pro. Not sure what the issue is here

PhilMorin

Feb 16, 2017
Some good news! According to the Fido update page:

Huawei Mate 20 Pro
Android P 9.0 January SMR + other updates
Staged rollout until February 18

I'm guessing Rogers would have the same timeframe.

I'm on Koodo myself but often noticed the updates would come out around mid month of the month following the security updates so I imagine Telus/Koodo will be updated very soon too.

Can't speak for the other carriers.

Reactions: Ipse_Tase and QAM

PhilMorin

Feb 16, 2017
Koodo, just got it.. Updates to .182 will download it once I'm back on WiFi. L0C model.

Edit: added English screenshots

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190212_100607_com.huawei.android.hwouc.jpg
    Screenshot_20190212_100607_com.huawei.android.hwouc.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Screenshot_20190212_100535_com.huawei.android.hwouc.jpg
    Screenshot_20190212_100535_com.huawei.android.hwouc.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 139
  • Screenshot_20190212_100551_com.huawei.android.hwouc.jpg
    Screenshot_20190212_100551_com.huawei.android.hwouc.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 139
  • Screenshot_20190212_101030_com.huawei.android.hwouc.jpg
    Screenshot_20190212_101030_com.huawei.android.hwouc.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Screenshot_20190212_101038_com.huawei.android.hwouc.jpg
    Screenshot_20190212_101038_com.huawei.android.hwouc.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

PhilMorin

Feb 16, 2017
Other great news! OEM unlock can now be enabled in dev options!

Also, a second face can be added to face unlock. The caption seem to indicate it should be a 2nd version of your own face and not someone else. This would help speed up face unlock. Haven't done it yet but feel like face unlock seems faster and more reliable since the update.

5x option is back in the camera zoom though I haven't played with it yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190212_131717_com.android.settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20190212_131717_com.android.settings.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 93

PhilMorin

Feb 16, 2017
One annoying but that's now been corrected: when switching between apps, you can now tap one of the apps on the side. You don't have to put that app in the middle to tap it anymore.

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

A note about the new super macro mode: it's really just the same as the close up focus you could previously do with the wide angle lens.
Only difference is that in this mode you can choose to zoom to 1x or 3x but those are just digital zooms of the 0.6x. You can confirm by putting a finger in front of the 0.6x lens or by looking at the aperture (it remains F2.2). I can't see any quality improvement between using the super macro mode at 1x or 3x or just using the wide angle close up focus capability and cropping afterwards. Though the super Marco mode will render a "20mp" file even when zoomed in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeau14 and QAM

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I've also noticed that with Nova Launcher you can now use gestures and it's no longer clunky
That's excellent news...been using Nova pro for years and this was one of the frustrations with this phone...it messed it up.

---------- Post added at 18:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:59 ----------

In the meantime... On Bell's network... Still stuck on .127
Well, there is a way to force an upgrade: borrow an LTE SIM from one of your friends on Rogers or Videotron and pop it in the phone and check for updates.
Mind you, you WILL get that carrier's version of the software, so if you have any preinstalled Bell apps that you are sentimentally attached to, they will be gone.
Videotron has NONE on my phone, so I don't care.

EDIT: Someone else here (can't remember the name to give credit) has posted this link to check update staus on Rogers (they seem to be the fastest Canadian carrier to provide updates):

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/OS-Upgrades/OS-Upgrade-Schedule/m-p/424776

Last edited:
Reactions: Choquette67

digitalallstar

Aug 23, 2007
Just bought one today and the first thing I did was check for an update. It found .182 and I updated before setting up the phone. Unfortunately there was something under the screen so I had to exchange it. Now the new unit won't find .182 OTA. It's still showing .127 as up to date. I compared the serial numbers and they're not too far off. Who determines which device gets the update? Bell or Huawei?

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

Choquette67

Dec 19, 2018
Just bought one today and the first thing I did was check for an update. It found .182 and I updated before setting up the phone. Unfortunately there was something under the screen so I had to exchange it. Now the new unit won't find .182 OTA. It's still showing .127 as up to date. I compared the serial numbers and they're not too far off. Who determines which device gets the update? Bell or Huawei?

They are rolling out the updates to all devices it just takes time. As for who decides, I don't know.

I'm still stuck at .127 too. Hopefully the update pushes through soon for both of us.

Reactions: digitalallstar

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Koodo, just got it.. Updates to .182 will download it once I'm back on WiFi. L0C model.

Edit: added English screenshots
    For those who need a screen protector in Canada. Highly recommend the Alinsea 3D tempered glass (UV light and separate glue method). It's full adhesive and fingerprint works with it.
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07K3YZ2SN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_rvK7BbXJJDZ9V

Only drawback is that the default clear case that comes with the phone may cause the side of the screen protector to be lifted up. So yeah don't work well with the default clear case.
    I'm gonna switch topics in here from the past 10 pages of screen issues. I highly recommend using systemui tuner to clean up the status bar if you'd rather more room for notifications. For me I wanted to get rid of the alarm, Bluetooth and NFC icons because I don't need them persistently there. A reboot was required for them to take affect but now I'm happier with a cleaner look.

And on a side note I'm working on a theme but given I'm new to Huawei this will take me longer. Ive got the system partially inverted but still lots to do! Unfortunately there are zero these to my knowledge that fully work on emui 9 to tide me over so I gotta keep working and try to make something happen!
    Other great news! OEM unlock can now be enabled in dev options!

Also, a second face can be added to face unlock. The caption seem to indicate it should be a 2nd version of your own face and not someone else. This would help speed up face unlock. Haven't done it yet but feel like face unlock seems faster and more reliable since the update.

5x option is back in the camera zoom though I haven't played with it yet.
    One app that is much needed is the Huawei app gallery. Make sure you guys get that and change your location to something else. Can't use Canada or USA so I picked Hongkong. Anyway it updates the theme app and it's much better now. I think that is needed in order to apply full themes as well.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone