Huawei Mate 20 pro Canadian discussion thread

Search This thread

malek777

Nov 6, 2011
I'm moving from the pixel 3 xl to the mate 20 mainly because the battery is below average on the pixel. Would you guys say emui is pretty stable ?

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I'm moving from the pixel 3 xl to the mate 20 mainly because the battery is below average on the pixel. Would you guys say emui is pretty stable ?
I don't use Nova (which I used for 6-7 years) so the Huawei launcher is the default now (some users complain about problems when using a 3rd party launcher, although this seems mostly sorted out in the latest update). I find the phone really stable and have NOT experienced an app crash yet. I reboot every 15-20 days out of habit, not because it's needed.

Last edited:

Joce Do It

Feb 18, 2019
Montréal
I found A mate 20 pro at a price I like... my question is when I looked in the dev option the OEM unlock was greyed out but toggle ON. So the phone is unlock right? The fact that its greyed out makes me asking

je1992

Jul 29, 2017
I found A mate 20 pro at a price I like... my question is when I looked in the dev option the OEM unlock was greyed out but toggle ON. So the phone is unlock right? The fact that its greyed out makes me asking

I think one of the past updates disabled the ability to unlock, but newest versions of EMUI on the phone now have re-enabled it.
So in any case, updating the phone should remove the grey !

je1992

Jul 29, 2017
I also got 9.0.0.236 today, on Bell Canada.
I am fairly impress by Huawei, this is the april security patch, and I am getting it the same month.
No other changes in the changelog.

edmondt

Mar 21, 2006
Toronto
Just moved from Note 8 to the Mate 20 Pro; love the camera so far :)

Glad to find call recording works as well by download the HwCallRecorder APK

GeorgeNV

Dec 17, 2017
Calgary
Received 9.0.0.243 a few days ago. No new features, only April security patches.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190502_120804_com.huawei.android.hwouc.jpg
    Screenshot_20190502_120804_com.huawei.android.hwouc.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 109

Devhux

Mar 1, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Strange, I got the 236 update a couple of weeks ago now, on Telus.

I should clarify - it's actually a Fido version on the Telus network. Might also be why Wifi Calling doesn't want to enable for me. That said, when I first had my Telus sim in this phone, I had the HD icon beside the cellular signal bars. Now I don't, yet VoLTE is enabled in settings. I was using an S10+ for a couple of days but didn't like it as much

Last edited:

gauthier81

May 8, 2011
Chatham
I'm with Rogers and the April security patch was available as of April 25th. Still haven't received it. Even trying manually. My in laws got hers on her P20 pro on the 27th. I guess it don't matter if you have a newer phone or not.

Devhux

Mar 1, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
My Fido version (but using on Telus) just got it today too.

Also, if anyone saw my post earlier about VoLTE, that's resolved too (apparently Telus blocked it because I had used a foreign device - an AT&T Galaxy S10+ for a few days

engcristiano

Dec 19, 2011
To the end of the galaxy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Koodo, just got it.. Updates to .182 will download it once I'm back on WiFi. L0C model.

Edit: added English screenshots
    For those who need a screen protector in Canada. Highly recommend the Alinsea 3D tempered glass (UV light and separate glue method). It's full adhesive and fingerprint works with it.
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07K3YZ2SN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_rvK7BbXJJDZ9V

Only drawback is that the default clear case that comes with the phone may cause the side of the screen protector to be lifted up. So yeah don't work well with the default clear case.
    I'm gonna switch topics in here from the past 10 pages of screen issues. I highly recommend using systemui tuner to clean up the status bar if you'd rather more room for notifications. For me I wanted to get rid of the alarm, Bluetooth and NFC icons because I don't need them persistently there. A reboot was required for them to take affect but now I'm happier with a cleaner look.

And on a side note I'm working on a theme but given I'm new to Huawei this will take me longer. Ive got the system partially inverted but still lots to do! Unfortunately there are zero these to my knowledge that fully work on emui 9 to tide me over so I gotta keep working and try to make something happen!
    Other great news! OEM unlock can now be enabled in dev options!

Also, a second face can be added to face unlock. The caption seem to indicate it should be a 2nd version of your own face and not someone else. This would help speed up face unlock. Haven't done it yet but feel like face unlock seems faster and more reliable since the update.

5x option is back in the camera zoom though I haven't played with it yet.
    One app that is much needed is the Huawei app gallery. Make sure you guys get that and change your location to something else. Can't use Canada or USA so I picked Hongkong. Anyway it updates the theme app and it's much better now. I think that is needed in order to apply full themes as well.