Huawei Mate 40 Pro, Pro +, Mate 40 RS, Hands On

Search This thread

Lagann888

Nov 5, 2020
Hi everyone. I recently long time follower, new poster. I have been very interested in the Mate 40 Series. I'm Currently using the P30 Pro.

I recently Came across a Chinese Youtuber hokoonho who has been making very good hands on videos of these handsets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0xrV-HJesU&t=1084s Mate 40 Pro+ vs Mate 40 Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DoXyH1AdMU Mate 40 RS

The videos are in cantonese. I speak a little cantonese, so I understand about 80% of what he is saying.

I was Initially interested in the Mate 40 Pro+ for the 10x optical zoom, however, the Mate 40 Pro+ does not have the same ultrawide as the Pro or RS instead having a freeform lens with less distortion, however is a narrower aperture.

Specs: (same great 50MP f/1.9 for all 3)

Mate 40 Pro - 20mp Ultrawide f/1.8 , 12mp f/3.4 5x optical Zoom
Mate 40 Pro+ - 20mp Ultrawide f/2.4 (freeform), 12mp f/2.4 3x optical zoom, 8mp f/4.4 10x optical zoom
Mate 40 RS - 20mp Ultrawide f/1.8 , 12mp f/2.4 3x optical zoom, 8mp f/4.4 10x optical zoom

Per the youtuber in his use experience, the ultrawide on the Pro+ suffers in low light conditions compared to the Pro which is as expected especially with higher noise levels around the edges. He is also saying, despite the higher megapixel count and brighter aperture of the 5x optical of the Pro, that it cannot compare with the zoom capabilities of the 10x optical. Again as expected.

What do you guys think? Would you sacrifice for a dimmer ultrawide to gain 10x optical zoom on the Pro+, or go best of both worlds but pay for the RS in which you get the 10x optical zoom and the brighter ultrawide?

I know the P40 Pro Plus also has 10x optical zoom also, but the video performance is such a huge leap on this Mate 40 series, and I take videos all the time.

Last edited:

sootyvrs

Nov 2, 2010
For me the Pro+ has the wider ultra wide lens 14mm vs 18mm (Pro) which makes this much more versatile camera setup albeit slower f/2.4 aperture.

I moved away from Huawei P30 Pro when they only offered a narrower field of view with the Mate 30 Pro. P40 Pro etc..

The Pro+ could make me consider replacing my Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra but waiting to see more examples of how good the ultra wide lens is