Huawei Mediapad M5 TWRP test

Search This thread

JamesBott

Feb 2, 2011
Ansbach
Attention ! ONLY for devices delivered with OREO 8.0.xxx. At 8.1.xxx there are problems!
This TWRP has been made for the P10.
On my Mediapad M5 10.8" LTE it works!
It can be safely used IF
- you have a FULL update of your build on the PC
- from the Update.zip the Update.app have unzipped
- with the HuaweiExtractor from the Upate.app
- - ramdisk.img
- - recovery_ramdis.img
- - system.img
extracted. The Extractor automatically makes a *.img.header for each *.img. These 6 files copy in yours
ADB-Folder. IF ANYTHING SHOULD WORK - flash this 3 img
- fastboot flash ramdisk ramdisk.img
- fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk recovery_ramdis.img
- fastboot flash system system.img
AND the pad is reset to stock-rom again.

If you can handle it, you need a TWRP and want to test it
https://xdaforums.com/p10/development/recovery-twrp-3-2-1-0-emui-8-0-4-04-2018-t3773449
download
- fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp.img

If this works on a Mediapad M5 8 " ? I can not test it because of the lack of a device!

Who has no idea as a beginner: PLEASE LET IT BE !!!
Turning € 400 into a paperweight is NOT fun!
Absolutely important: look at the screen before flashing - "Bootloader: unlocked" & "FRP: unlock" !!!
With stock-rom OTA updates can still be received BUT only be installed with stock-recovery !!!
If the update is on the pad "Update now?" NO later !
Now install the update
Should the update "*****ing" helps https://xdaforums.com/honor-view-10/development/recovery-bkl-nocheck-recovery-flash-t3778085
This is flashed instead of stock recovery.
When everything is done, you can install TWRP afterwards.

thref23

Jul 27, 2007
This did not work for me on an SHT-AL09 that I had already bricked (soft bricked as I can flash via fastboot). The TWRP screen came up at boot, but the menu never loaded. I couldn't say for sure that it wouldn't work on a stock SHT-AL09.

darren1

Oct 31, 2010
I can confirm this version of TWRP is working on my Mediapad M5 8.4 SHT-W09. Thanks for trying, it out. I wasn't brave enough to be the first.

Reactions: moonraker7

JamesBott

Feb 2, 2011
Ansbach
i am write what i do with my pad. My Pad : Huawei Mediapad M5 - CMR-AL09 8.0.0.151(C432).
other type (example : SHT-AL09, SHT-W09 ....) i not have !
if this writing other user help - that's ok :)

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
HTC Desire
Nexus 7
@darren1 I can confirm that the twrp for the P10 is working (partly) on the SHT-W09 ... It boots, it decrypts /data and you can access via adb
I didn't try to install anything but I tried to do a backup ... unfortunately neither "adb backup --twrp" nor backup to the sdcard is working for me :(

Si73

Nov 15, 2007
Suffolk
@darren1 I can confirm that the twrp for the P10 is working (partly) on the SHT-W09 ... It boots, it decrypts /data and you can access via adb
I didn't try to install anything but I tried to do a backup ... unfortunately neither "adb backup --twrp" nor backup to the sdcard is working for me :(

I was able to make a complete backup to the sdcard on my CMR-W09 and then restore from it. I did remove pin & fingerprint screenlock prior to booting into twrp. Installing zip files works.

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
HTC Desire
Nexus 7
@magnumlove that's strange .. I didn't remove the pattern for unlocking, but the backup went well for /data the error occured when backing up /system
Probably I should try it again with a different sdcard.

(btw. adb backup --twrp failed due to /system/bin/bu missing)

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
HTC Desire
Nexus 7
@rcstar6696 I like the idea to have a full backup to be able later to restore to a certain stage. This is the main reason for me to have twrp.

Btw. I found another issue with the TWRP from P10: OTG is not working. I wanted to use a pen drive to test the backup but it's not even mounting the drive.

fargonaz

Apr 16, 2007
OnePlus 5T
The recovery works on the stock ROM SHT-L09 .125(C00). At least for me it doesn't work with either of phh's latest(v19) GSI images; just stays on twrp logo screen. I am unable to get a logcat as that returns an error but can get a shell.

Last edited:

darren1

Oct 31, 2010
The recovery works on the stock ROM SHT-L09 .125(C00). At least for me it doesn't work with either of phh's latest(v19) GSI images; just says on twrp logo screen. I am unable to get a logcat as that returns an error but can get a shell.

Did you flash the gsi img file to System Image?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Attention ! ONLY for devices delivered with OREO 8.0.xxx. At 8.1.xxx there are problems!
    This TWRP has been made for the P10.
    On my Mediapad M5 10.8" LTE it works!
    It can be safely used IF
    - you have a FULL update of your build on the PC
    - from the Update.zip the Update.app have unzipped
    - with the HuaweiExtractor from the Upate.app
    - - ramdisk.img
    - - recovery_ramdis.img
    - - system.img
    extracted. The Extractor automatically makes a *.img.header for each *.img. These 6 files copy in yours
    ADB-Folder. IF ANYTHING SHOULD WORK - flash this 3 img
    AND the pad is reset to stock-rom again.

If you can handle it, you need a TWRP and want to test it
    https://xdaforums.com/p10/development/recovery-twrp-3-2-1-0-emui-8-0-4-04-2018-t3773449
    download
    - fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp.img

If this works on a Mediapad M5 8 " ? I can not test it because of the lack of a device!

Who has no idea as a beginner: PLEASE LET IT BE !!!
    Turning € 400 into a paperweight is NOT fun!
    Absolutely important: look at the screen before flashing - "Bootloader: unlocked" & "FRP: unlock" !!!
    With stock-rom OTA updates can still be received BUT only be installed with stock-recovery !!!
    If the update is on the pad "Update now?" NO later !
    Now install the update
    Should the update "*****ing" helps https://xdaforums.com/honor-view-10/development/recovery-bkl-nocheck-recovery-flash-t3778085
    This is flashed instead of stock recovery.
    When everything is done, you can install TWRP afterwards.
    Maybe you could explain how this is done? I'm not familiar with this process.

Thanks.

In TWRP select Install, click at the bottom right Install Image. Find and select the gsi img file, you will be given a list of partions titled Select Partition to Flash Image. Both System and System Image are in the list, I selected System Image and the gsi image booted first time without problems. Hope that helps.

I was able to make a complete backup to the sdcard on my CMR-W09 and then restore from it. I did remove pin & fingerprint screenlock prior to booting into twrp. Installing zip files works.
    a little words to : Huawei / OREO / TWRP
    on my device (with my build) the https://xdaforums.com/p10/development/recovery-twrp-3-2-1-0-emui-8-0-4-04-2018-t3773449 work
    but OTG not work. for me not a problem, i use external_sd.
    if i test developer-rom i only use is delivered as "system.img" (not developer-rom.zip for install with TWRP).
    why : i dont know what this *.zip modify on partitions.
    if i test dev-rom.img i only fastboot flash system dev-rom.img. if this not do what i need : fastboot flash system stock-system.img and device is re-flasht to stock.

the best way to have a good TWRP: write on Pretoriano80. this is a good boy and make good TWRP with encryption. only question : have there time ?
    i think a little bit donation helps :)

if your device have bootloop or other problem
    if
    - bootloader unlock
    - FRP unlock
    then download with HuaweiFirmwareFinder your build -FullUpdate the Update.zip, unzip the Update.app, with HuaweiUpdateExtractor extract 3 images
    - ramdisk.img / recovery_ramdis.img / system.img
    then
    device work on stock-rom
    if your device by your testing have other partitions modified (and not work) you can use noCheckRecovery : this is modified stock-recovery that "noCheck" - "if this update for this device" Attention ! use ONLY your build, never other build !!!
    https://xdaforums.com/honor-view-10/development/recovery-bkl-nocheck-recovery-flash-t3778085
    download this and the instruction
    download with HuaweiFirmwareFinder your build -FullUpdate all 3 Files
    work the instruction from first to last point : your device have Full-Update (pre: the device is rooted)

important #1 : your build , NO other
    important #2 : your data is now lost (data low-level format) [if your device not work and with this way work - lost data is a very little problem]

this way work for all Huawei/Honor with OREO, but all have own build !!!

my english is NOT the best, but i hope you understand what i mean.
    if this any one help - i am happy :)

ad on : the OTA-Update and self download Update work only with stock-recovery (and noCheckRecovery) and not with TWRP !
    I can confirm this version of TWRP is working on my Mediapad M5 8.4 SHT-W09. Thanks for trying, it out. I wasn't brave enough to be the first.