Huawei P20 Lite root

Search This thread

JamesBott

Feb 2, 2011
Ansbach
Just for Info :angel:

DISCLAIMER
I only write, what i am doing on my Phone. What ever you do on your Phone - you doing at your own Risk !
RISK AT THIS MOMENT
Phone is new on Market. By my last Phone after 3 month not firmware by Huawei downloadable ! Continue to wait :(

Hi, this is my way to root HP20L.
My Build is ANE-LX1 8.0.0.108(C432)

By this way is UserData erased ! Make Backup bevor you go this way !

I found FHMate10Tool.
This is a "DOS-Prompt" program.
- Phone has bootloader-unlock.
- Phone is in bootloader-mode.
- I am start FHMate10Tool as admin. Use point 1 (rooting).
- 4..5 seconds Tool write "phone is rooted" ; Phone reboot; make userdata format lowlevel; reboot

- only your work: beginning by zero (configure: google ...)
- risk to break Phone is minimal.
BUT i have Backup with "dd" from factory-system and factory-recovery-ramdisk. "not tested at this moment"
(test next days, then i make append here)
My THANK'S to @aveemashfaq for inspiration : https://xdaforums.com/9-lite/how-to/guide-backup-partition-using-dd-t3767613
Attention : "dd" is Powerful. Any error by typing and the consequences can be catastrophic ! Nothing for beginners !!!

Check "SuperSU". Install Titanium Backup or what ever you need.
If you wish TWRP, wait ! I am next days testing.
SuperSU is for me full-ok. If you need Magisk - look in forum.

I hope this help you & have fun !

Append 20180415 :
Now we have a good Chance for TWRP(any device !)
Look https://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/twrpbuilder-t3744253
Download this APP, install on your Phone, follow the instruction
You need from your Phone your "recovery.img" (Nougat) or "recovery_ramdis.img" (Oreo) for upload in APP and a little bit wait-time
TWRP-Builder = the best idea from last 5 year's : :good: :laugh:

Append 20181223 :
First we need BL-unlock. Huawei give us NO BL-unlock-code more. The only that's work is CD-Unlocker. Use DC-Unlocker for reed BL-unlock-code.
If DC-Unlocker not work on your Device - sorry ! Huawei is more and more "closed source" (Example : iPhone)
If you have your BL-unlock-code : unlock the BL (Attention ! This format data. On the End of BL-unlock your Device is "New". NO App's, NO Settings)
The good Way to root your Device is "Magisk". You need on your PC actual Firmware (look in Device Menu/System/Over the Device) as Full-Update Download.
Extract with HuaweiUpdateExtractor "ramdisk.img" (inside is "boot").
Copy the "ramdisk.img" to Device (Example in "Download") and the Same with "MagiskManager.app".
Install "MagiskManager.app" [MM] in Device, start MM, let it create "patched_boot.img", copy "patched_boot.img" to PC inside your ADB-Folder (Example "C:\ADB").
Open DOS-Prompt on your PC, change inside ADB-Folder (Example "cd C:\ADB").
Go with your Device in "bootloader-mode" with
- adb reboot bootloader
Flash "patched_boot.img" in your Device with
- fastboot flash ramdisk patched_boot.img
Reboot your Device with
- fastboot reboot
If Device run open MM, let MM self-update doing (it is need) and check if Device rootet (Example : Play-Store "RootChecker").
With this Way we have root AND Stock-ROM AND OTA-Updates work.
We can restore the Stock-Ramdisk (and have original Stock-ROM without root)
If you need you can TWRP install.

Last edited:

r00terb3y

Apr 6, 2018

DISCLAIMER
I only write, what i am doing on my Phone. What ever you do on your Phone - you doing at your own Risk !
RISK AT THIS MOMENT
Phone is new on Market. By my last Phone after 3 month not firmware by Huawei downloadable ! Continue to wait :(

I found FHMate10Tool.
- 4..5 seconds Tool write "phone is rooted" ; Phone reboot; make userdata format lowlevel; reboot

BUT i have Backup with "dd" from factory-system and factory-recovery-ramdisk. "not tested at this moment"
My THANK'S to @aveemashfaq for inspiration : https://xdaforums.com/9-lite/how-to/guide-backup-partition-using-dd-t3767613
Attention : "dd" is Powerful. Any error by typing and the consequences can be catastrophic ! Nothing for beginners !!!

Tool worked for me. Now having access to all root features! Thanks for sharing! :good:

JamesBott

Feb 2, 2011
Ansbach
My Test, my phone, my risk !!!

First test with TWRP 3.2.1-0 (Huawei P smart).
TWRP flash + run = ok.
backup : folder (/data/media/0/TWRP) not created (Permission denied)
that's no big surprise : build for other device

Now my question : if here any twrp-developer how give me answer "how much work is it to build twrp for this device ?" 2 hour? 5 hour?
I have no idea, I do not have any twrp build.

if i can help for build (info from inside device, test new build ...) i do it !

a little bit risk is good for my brain : new phone, day 1 : bootloader unlock (warranty : bye - bye), see about twrp.
with extracted "recovery" form https://xdaforums.com/huawei-p20-lite/development/rom-official-emui-8-0-huawei-p20-lite-t3773999
no risk to test twrp (thank's to @kilroystyx), switch stock-recovery to twrp and return - all ways work.

Warning for beginner : do you want to do such experiments - a paperweight for 1 € or $ is much cheaper than such this nice phone to turn into one :(

Reactions: kilroystyx

kilroystyx

Nov 1, 2011
Braga
@JamesBott, the reason that you cannot backup data partition should be other, i suspect that your data partition is encrypted and that might be the reason.
If you are ok testing TWRP's I can try do one for P20 lite

JamesBott

Feb 2, 2011
Ansbach
@kilroystyx

if i test twrp:
- flash twrp
- twrp /wipe/format data
- reboot twrp to twrp
- twrp backup data

the twrp for Huawei P smart work on my Honor 9 Lite, not on HP20L.

if you found twrp : i test (give me download link) & if any work : i write here for ALL how need twrp!
with your recovery_ramdis.img(extract from update.app) i can test all twrp.
i flash recovery_ramdis.img and phone is in "delivery state" : work as a "new phone" . it's only my time :) [flash, test, reflash ...] . problem : for me not

JamesBott

Feb 2, 2011
Ansbach
sorry - double save #6
i use this for general info
i am not developer.. i am service. i am learn by doing and help other with my experience

Last edited:

JamesBott

Feb 2, 2011
Ansbach
@mchtt

i think the same. twrp on H9L work, by install and twrp/format data work and msg "need restart for write function-changes". on HP20L : twrp/format data work, but no msg.
test was only a "shot in to the blue". i think, we are to fast. phone is new on market - very new.
my interest is technology : what works, what not.
for me a good phone : bootloader open - twrp - root - adaware. the follow other is secondary.

mchtt

Jun 12, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S22
@mchtt

i think the same. twrp on H9L work, by install and twrp/format data work and msg "need restart for write function-changes". on HP20L : twrp/format data work, but no msg.
test was only a "shot in to the blue". i think, we are to fast. phone is new on market - very new.
my interest is technology : what works, what not.
for me a good phone : bootloader open - twrp - root - adaware. the follow other is secondary.
Yes but at least we have treble out of the box!
You tried flashing .GSI ?
It flashed flawlessly but the notch is not supported for the moment ?

mchtt

Jun 12, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S22
@mchtt

excuse my question : what you mean "You tried flashing .GSI ?"
.gsi is a system.img you can flash on treble enabled phones.
So you can easily flash LOS, RR or AOSP...

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

@mchtt

excuse my question : what you mean "You tried flashing .GSI ?"
.gsi is a system.img you can flash on treble enabled phones.
So you can easily flash LOS, RR or AOSP...

JamesBott

Feb 2, 2011
Ansbach
@mchtt

i am extracted from full-update.app "recovery_ramdis.img" . test : flash recovery_ramdisk twrp.img and for return flash recovery_ramdis.img.
on H9L test developer-ROM's : flash system dev-sys.img. for return flash system system.img (extract from my own full-update.app)
that's all. never other (boot ...)

Letzen

Dec 10, 2016
İstanbul
Redmi K20 Pro
Just bought the phone, waiting for a RIL and Wi-Fi working AOSP/LOS ROM (I'm a dev but I don't have any idea about Kirin). EMUI doesn't make me miss root.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

DISCLAIMER
    RISK AT THIS MOMENT

I found FHMate10Tool.

Append 20180415 :
    Now we have a good Chance for TWRP(any device !)
    Look https://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/twrpbuilder-t3744253
    Download this APP, install on your Phone, follow the instruction
    You need from your Phone your "recovery.img" (Nougat) or "recovery_ramdis.img" (Oreo) for upload in APP and a little bit wait-time
    TWRP-Builder = the best idea from last 5 year's : :good: :laugh:

Append 20181223 :
    First we need BL-unlock. Huawei give us NO BL-unlock-code more. The only that's work is CD-Unlocker. Use DC-Unlocker for reed BL-unlock-code.
    If DC-Unlocker not work on your Device - sorry ! Huawei is more and more "closed source" (Example : iPhone)
    If you have your BL-unlock-code : unlock the BL (Attention ! This format data. On the End of BL-unlock your Device is "New". NO App's, NO Settings)
    The good Way to root your Device is "Magisk". You need on your PC actual Firmware (look in Device Menu/System/Over the Device) as Full-Update Download.
    Extract with HuaweiUpdateExtractor "ramdisk.img" (inside is "boot").
    Copy the "ramdisk.img" to Device (Example in "Download") and the Same with "MagiskManager.app".
    Install "MagiskManager.app" [MM] in Device, start MM, let it create "patched_boot.img", copy "patched_boot.img" to PC inside your ADB-Folder (Example "C:\ADB").
    Open DOS-Prompt on your PC, change inside ADB-Folder (Example "cd C:\ADB").
    Go with your Device in "bootloader-mode" with
    - adb reboot bootloader
    Flash "patched_boot.img" in your Device with
    - fastboot flash ramdisk patched_boot.img
    Reboot your Device with
    - fastboot reboot
    If Device run open MM, let MM self-update doing (it is need) and check if Device rootet (Example : Play-Store "RootChecker").
    With this Way we have root AND Stock-ROM AND OTA-Updates work.
    We can restore the Stock-Ramdisk (and have original Stock-ROM without root)
    If you need you can TWRP install.
    Somebody gave me this claiming it is "rooted software". Is that even possible? Does this save me work? https://androidhost.ru/Tyk
    @r00terb3y

thank's for your test and response. :good:

all : if you give thanks, i am happy :laugh:
    - if you click on thanks-button : i am very happy :laugh::laugh:
    My Test, my phone, my risk !!!

First test with TWRP 3.2.1-0 (Huawei P smart).
    TWRP flash + run = ok.
    backup : folder (/data/media/0/TWRP) not created (Permission denied)
    that's no big surprise : build for other device

Now my question : if here any twrp-developer how give me answer "how much work is it to build twrp for this device ?" 2 hour? 5 hour?
    I have no idea, I do not have any twrp build.

if i can help for build (info from inside device, test new build ...) i do it !

a little bit risk is good for my brain : new phone, day 1 : bootloader unlock (warranty : bye - bye), see about twrp.
    with extracted "recovery" form https://xdaforums.com/huawei-p20-lite/development/rom-official-emui-8-0-huawei-p20-lite-t3773999
    no risk to test twrp (thank's to @kilroystyx), switch stock-recovery to twrp and return - all ways work.

Warning for beginner : do you want to do such experiments - a paperweight for 1 € or $ is much cheaper than such this nice phone to turn into one :(
    Well today I have changes I did everything right, I think it turns off and I turned it on fastboot with the Minimal ADB I did the steps correctly, by the way I copied the TWRP file into the ADB minimal folder everything works fine and I do not miss error at the end of taking out the cable sepone screen in black and I give it up arriva appears me of the three options but I do not release the voton of volume up ..... I suddenly appear and EMUi symbol and down puts me download latest version and recover system, delete data and put system manufactures, restart and finally turn off ....... Until there is, I restart but it does not install TWRP
    FOR GOD HELP I am desperate
    PLEASE HELP ME and THANK YOU
    If you have installed correctly TWRP do this to restart in recovery mode https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=71429023&postcount=73