• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Huawei P30 Pro camera samples

Search This thread

salemsayed

Jul 20, 2012
I'm seriously thinking of making a return to amazon and going back to oneplus (especially now that there is 7t at an affordable price with wide-angle)
Yeah or the Mate 20 Pro, it doesn't have that RYYB sensor.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

Or even the new Pixels, that's really the best. Also the P30 Pro messes with the skin tones A LOT. I've gotten used to it but I never really liked the camera, the phone on the other hand is really good and that's why I'm keeping it.

Reactions: JoVo007 and Leoxur

Leoxur

Apr 27, 2014
Yeah or the Mate 20 Pro, it doesn't have that RYYB sensor.
Yes It could be a very good alternative, expecially at that price. But I am wondering if it could be better a oneplus with gcam or mate 20 pro. Oneplus 3t with gcam can compete with modern high end device.
Even zoom on lowlight conditions is so much better on 3t with gcam because most of the time p30 pro crop from main sensor

ZayaanAhyaan

Dec 2, 2016
This is an outdoor shot, the car should be white

What i've mostly noticed is in artificial lighting, the sensors somehow lean heavily towards any sort of yellow light around and turn the whole pic yellowish, even red lighting displays similar result at times.

My quick fix for this is just take a pic in pro mode (auto pro mode settings) but if the yellow source is strong, then only way to correct is manually tuning white balance. I doubt there's any fix for this due to the sensors RYYB configuration.

Leoxur

Apr 27, 2014
I don't know how many of you have received the .224 update but I am seeing that the camera has deteriorated absurdly. With little light it no longer sees anything, the digital zoom takes out black photos with lowlight, In addition, the night mode has worsened a lot, in addition to the slowness dictating press the button when it starts to take the picture, it gets darker than an automatic photo.I would have done well to take oneplus again. It is not possible that from the beginning of August we are without updates and the first that arrives after months breaks everything

Attachments

• IMG_20191112_081300.jpg
    IMG_20191112_081300.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_20191112_081610.jpg
    IMG_20191112_081610.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_20191112_081346.jpg
    IMG_20191112_081346.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 448

JoVo007

Nov 17, 2019
Yes It could be a very good alternative, expecially at that price. But I am wondering if it could be better a oneplus with gcam or mate 20 pro. Oneplus 3t with gcam can compete with modern high end device.
Even zoom on lowlight conditions is so much better on 3t with gcam because most of the time p30 pro crop from main sensor

Mi 8 with GCam takes outstanding images. Often better than P30 Pro (i have both), especially regarding detail/sharpness and also neutral colours. And, of course, for selfies which are really, really bad on the Huawei.

The P30 Pro still is better in very low light conditions and of course much better for zoom (the last is the reason I'm keeping it..)

Reactions: Leoxur

JoVo007

Nov 17, 2019
What i've mostly noticed is in artificial lighting, the sensors somehow lean heavily towards any sort of yellow light around and turn the whole pic yellowish, even red lighting displays similar result at times.

My quick fix for this is just take a pic in pro mode (auto pro mode settings) but if the yellow source is strong, then only way to correct is manually tuning white balance. I doubt there's any fix for this due to the sensors RYYB configuration.

Yes, white balance and generally colours often are way off on artificial light.

Pro mode with the white balance manually set to bulb or turned to the coldest possible value helps there.

Leoxur

Apr 27, 2014
Yes, white balance and generally colours often are way off on artificial light.

Pro mode with the white balance manually set to bulb or turned to the coldest possible value helps there.
Not really, in Pro modes to u can get slightly better result changing the "exposure metering" to spot center... But in any case, not convincing result.
You can also change white balance to the minimum but the scene will stay yellowish
The thing is that since 2013/14 I had Nexus 5, OnePlus one and OnePlus 3t. For all of them together I spent less than I spent only for p30 pro, and never been such disappointed.

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
This was taken on my standard P30 just now in auto photo mode (AI enabled), but our street-lights are white LED, not those older orange type

ceuMe3k.jpg

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
I see them white too. Are you sure you're not reviewing the picture with blue light filter on (given it's taken at night)?

No, what I mean is I am not seeing the orange tint with streetlights, but probably because they are LED/White streetlights

If we still had those orange ones I'd probably have the same problem as others

Leoxur

Apr 27, 2014
No, what I mean is I am not seeing the orange tint with streetlights, but probably because they are LED/White streetlights

If we still had those orange ones I'd probably have the same problem as others
Yes, look at this other sample (I can't even correct by Photoshop...). It is clear from the license plate of the car that it should be withe painted...)

Attachments

• IMG_20191118_142232_876.jpg
    IMG_20191118_142232_876.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_20191118_142241_170.jpg
    IMG_20191118_142241_170.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 512

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
Yes, look at this other sample (I can't even correct by Photoshop...). It is clear from the license plate of the car that it should be withe painted...)

I understand you are having this problem, what I was saying is that I do not have this issue because of the different type of streetlights

Not sure what colour the car was, but you can just lower the Yellow saturation using Lightroom

Attachments

• export-1-2.jpg
    export-1-2.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:

Leoxur

Apr 27, 2014
I understand you are having this problem, what I was saying is that I do not have this issue because of the different type of streetlights

Not sure what colour the car was, but you can just lower the Yellow saturation using Lightroom
Thats very good correction, do you use lightroom on PC or Android? Look at this other sample

Attachments

• IMG_20191120_002344.jpg
    IMG_20191120_002344.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 297

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
Thats very good correction, do you use lightroom on PC or Android? Look at this other sample

I used the PC version for the car, but it works just as well with the Android version

Attached version done with Android (Just lowered yellow saturation again)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191123_223529_com.adobe.lrmobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20191123_223529_com.adobe.lrmobile.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 368

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's a few samples of mine, i had the P30 Pro since launch day and it's a camera champ. But i don't recommend you go beyond the 5x optical focal length or it won't be pretty. The noise reduction in jpeg's is a bit too strong for my taste, i hope Huawei tones it down. However the raw files are very nice to work with.

1. Flower is shot in raw at iso 50 indoors.
    2. Church shot using 16mm ultrawide angle.
    3, 5x at the church clock, shot raw.
    4. 16mm indoors at chuch.
    5. Building shot at 5x in raw.
    6. Hotel interior at 16mm ultrawide angle, shot in jpeg.
    7. Test of ToF sensor and fake bokeh at water fountain.
    8. 5x at outdoor hotel pool 50 meters above ground. Shot from below.

/ Magnus
    I really recommend using Pro mode for daily use as the HDR in Photo is terrible and ruins every single shot.

Think there needs to be a thread for photos taken on the P30 Pro, given how the key feature of this phone is the camera(s).

I've also created a Google Photos gallery that people can share photos on (and video). It's non-commercial, and anyone that posts a photo obviously retains their own copyright.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/crLDcUSr9mxgJCSV8

So far the gallery has some examples of the various zoom levels (and wide angle), low-light and some very impressive shots of the sun. I am really loving the flexibility of the camera in just about all conditions.

I can't wait to see photos from others.
    I'll be honest i tried many pictures in mid light and every single one came out with less detail than my pixel 2 xl, in very bright outdoor light they looked pretty sharp and detailed, this is documented in quite a few reviews, i do agree the proper night shots in very low light ate better than the pixel but normal light shots are not this has been noted in reviews also, the front camera is horrible, i have no Idea why they have added that camera with no focus, it's beyond me, it's gone back to currys,

The other fault i could not live with was every time the device was rebooted auto brightness also switched itself on again, that is a ridiculous long standing bug on hwawei phones that they seem to have no intention of fixing, good luck with the phone hope you enjoy it.

I still have my P30 Pro, and I'm still not 100% sure whether to keep it or not. I actually really like the hardware but no matter how many times people tell me the camera is brilliant, I just haven't seen it yet.

There seems to be a default couple of responses to P30 Pro criticism on here:

"It's meant for pro photographers to use and isn't designed for point and shoot. If you want that, get a Pixel"

Or

"The Pixel takes better photographs in the right light but the P30 Pro has more flexibility - for example, zoom and night mode".

In response to statement one, even if this is true (and I honestly doubt that anyone with real photography ambitions would be wasting too much of their time on a phone) why should being a 'photography phone' and having the capability to take the best auto shots be mutually exclusive? Can't a phone be as good as a Pixel or iPhone for snapshots on the fly but *also* a good 'pro' style phone? If it can't be the best at both then this (IMHO) presents doubts as to the ability of Huawei's camera team as far as processing, calibration and AI. I shouldn't have to process a DNG in Lightroom to get a better photo than the Pixel of a person stood in front of a bar holding a beer.

For point two: sure it has some flexibility. In all honesty I would like a Pixel to have a wide angle camera, as this is genuinely useful. Telephoto cameras are always poor quality compared to the main sensors, and I almost never use them on either Samsungs, iPhones or Huaweis.

I've tested the 'zoom' lens on the P30 Pro quite a few times since I bought it though and I really think that the results are quite heavily processed with a serious lack of dynamic range and some pretty bad light fringing. I don't think I will use this camera very much at all after a few months of 'playing'.
    As for night mode - when did people suddenly need to take photos of a church in pitch black? These photos are what I call the 'Speedtest.net Effect': you only really use it to see what it can do. It's not necessarily a valid part of the camera arsenal as you don't actually need it; besides which, you can't capture moving subjects with it, so the best thing to to do is either use the flash (seriously, they exist), or photograph the subject in decent lighting. There are some examples of neon cityscapes that look kind of cool when taken in a night mode but for me photography is about taking pictures of my life and the people around me, and so far I'm finding the P30 Pro to be a bit of a disappointment in this regard.

Maybe to really appreciate the P30 Pro you need to be a single reviewer, flying from city to city with nothing to photograph but buildings on the phone (which was given to you for nothing).