• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Huawei stops support on package updates?

Search This thread

RedSkull23

Just went on emui.huawei.com to copy and provide a link of an EMUI 5 update for an user in need, and this i what I've got (see pic in attachment). Huawei already removed almost every package from their consumers site, and the page will be even closed standing to what is wrote on the pop-up notice... What do you think about this (in my opinion) bad move that Huawei choose to make about update packages?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170901-155514.jpg
    Screenshot_20170901-155514.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 1,418

shashank1320

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2015
Delhi
Thats bad. noob user who brick their phones may have found such things useful now they are stuck

shashank1320

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2015
Delhi
Reactions: RedSkull23

ali9971

Jul 11, 2017
Huawei you should think again .. And think again with your bootloader unlocking server .. You remembered me apple strategies !!

Reactions: youwi

RedSkull23

That is awful, what if someone got a bootloop and needs a package?!
Yeah the necessity to have a secure package ready to flash that could fix your phone is the thing that matters most, minding at the fact that developers could rely on original sources...
What a stupid move from Huawei. I feel more comfortable by going to an official site and download the firmware from there, but now Huawei will make lots of users uncomfortable
Exactly my point of view and even my feeling about it man.
Thats bad. noob user who brick their phones may have found such things useful now they are stuck
Even not-noob users that count on finding official firmware directly by OEM official site!
Meh...
Not a big deal. My Mate 9 does not have any update packages to begin with on that site so i use this
https://forum.xda-developers.com/tools/general/huawei-firmware-finder-team-mt-t3469146
Yes but firmware finder never could be satisfying compared to an accurate package SURELY compatible with your phone variant, provided by your phone's manufacturer, and so, 100% working!

Prolim123

Jul 4, 2014
Ofcourse there is backup frok Team MT.
But official is something different. 3rd party may shutdown anytime as they basically might be taking the packages from backend Huawei database and if they restrict then we may be stuck

I know. Just wanted to say that it's not all doom and gloom just because Huawei did it

horizophon

Jan 23, 2011
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
I had my hopes in Huawei/Honor, but this is one big step back in my opinion. Supplying the customers with downloadable firmware packages is the least you could expect. That's a shame.. ?
My next phone will not be from Huawei.

Reactions: sobriquet506

RedSkull23

Supplying the customers with downloadable firmware packages is the least you could expect. That's a shame.. ?
Definitely agree with you, is just the minimum that a person could except from his phone's brand. Even the time that they keep supporting phones on updates is minor than other manufacturers, (Samsung for example) and they decide to remove released packages too now.

Last edited:

RedSkull23

For what it's worth, I did find the following link from Huawei that seems to house the firmware:

http://m.huawei.com/pkmobile/consumer/support/downloads/index.htm
Can't find my BLN-L21 package, but at least it's still something. We'll see how much it'll last...
I got mine from my device support page where you'd find the manual and stuff:

http://consumer.huawei.com/kw-en/support/products/downloads/mediapad-t1-7-kwen.htm
On this page, my phone isn't even listed for technical definitions :rolleyes:

Bratzilla

Nov 23, 2013
Can't find my BLN-L21 package, but at least it's still something. We'll see how much it'll last...
On this page, my phone isn't even listed for technical definitions :rolleyes:

Same here! Thankful I downloaded Emui 3 (Lollipop) for MT2-L03 a while ago. My phone has long since disappeared.

Another thing: I sent a technical question to the Huawei Emui team almost a week ago - still no response. Coincidence? Hard to believe this isn't somehow related. And I don't usually wear tinfoil hats.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just went on emui.huawei.com to copy and provide a link of an EMUI 5 update for an user in need, and this i what I've got (see pic in attachment). Huawei already removed almost every package from their consumers site, and the page will be even closed standing to what is wrote on the pop-up notice... What do you think about this (in my opinion) bad move that Huawei choose to make about update packages?
    What a strange move with a pure PR reason given too
    Seems really an hazardous movement since that i don't think that the problem could ever be servers costs :rolleyes: the packages are extremely useful particularly for customers allowing them to restore soft-bricked phones...
    If i didn't saw wrong, there are rhe EMUI 4 package and the rollback one, but i didn't saw the EMUI 5 package. Well at least we have something to rely at the moment, I'll download MM firmware as I'll be able. Thanks!

We should hurry to recover all the packages that we could ever need in future before that date so, but for future updates this move is something as put a spanner in the works for compatibility between Huawei software & hardware (camera, HwComposer, ecc.) against third-party development, once again... thank you for the information.

Yeah, EMUI 5 has never been on the Italian website.

Mate 9 will be my first and last Huawei device. They are lacking behind other OEM regarding update delivery, and now removing all ROM images from their server. Pathetic!!

Guys don't worry so much, I've asked Team MT, and the updates will only be removed from the website. You'll still be able to download the update.app files using Firmware Finder, because Huawei won't remove them from the servers.
    It's gone already... I have checked Hihonor Global, China and Italy websites...

Are you sure? Because if I browse to http://www.hihonor.com/it/support/index.html I can still find the packages, even if i clear browser cache. In fact, I'm downloading them right now.

EDIT: Maybe the website has an IP-location check. Try with a VPN or a Proxy. Else, I can upload BLN-L21 packages anywhere.
    Well, I hope it changes to the better in the future, honor make such great devices, and if it got more developer friendly, that would be awesome.
    I can't see neither a motive to not being developer friendly... unless that Huawei is planning to have an EMUI platoon :cyclops: seriously, since that it'd be only an advantage both on market side such as brand diffusion, i hope that they'll finally take this in consideration for future projects.