I Broke Magisk

Search This thread

koberulz

Oct 4, 2012
Perth
It updated today, and now I can't open it and I keep getting error messages to say it keeps stopping.

I'd been holding off on the update because I knew there was something going on with the developer going to Google and all the root/hide stuff being disabled. Not sure how to roll back or what to do.

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member
It updated today, and now I can't open it and I keep getting error messages to say it keeps stopping.

I'd been holding off on the update because I knew there was something going on with the developer going to Google and all the root/hide stuff being disabled. Not sure how to roll back or what to do.
Can you uninstall Magisk and install the stable or last working canary app?

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member
No clue, I'm not sure what its status is these days. That's why I was hesitant to update (I've also been knocking back the Android 12 system update for the same reason).
You can't uninstall the Magisk app; like from the App section in Settings or app info of the app? I'm not talking about the applied Magisk patched boot image.
Because I'm thinking you can just uninstall the Magisk app (as it's glitching and force closing), and try installing the stable or earlier canary builds...

koberulz

Oct 4, 2012
Perth
You can't uninstall the Magisk app; like from the App section in Settings or app info of the app? I'm not talking about the applied Magisk patched boot image.
Because I'm thinking you can just uninstall the Magisk app (as it's glitching and force closing), and try installing the stable or earlier canary builds...
I don't know how that would affect root, or Magisk hide, as I know a lot of that has been nuked since topjohnwu got hired at Google.

I also currently have Magisk hiding itself, which may make even an uninstall difficult if I even knew what to install over the top of it.

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I don't know how that would affect root, or Magisk hide, as I know a lot of that has been nuked since topjohnwu got hired at Google.

I also currently have Magisk hiding itself, which may make even an uninstall difficult if I even knew what to install over the top of it.
Uninstalling the Magisk Manager app would not affect root; you might not be able to run certain rooted apps properly without granting them root access, but that's because of not having the Magisk app to grant it.
I don't know about topjohnwu being hired and working for Google or what not, but Magisk is still being currently worked on and developed so it has not been "nuked"...

How is Magisk Manager hidden "itself" if you claim you attempt to run the app and it force-closes? The only way for Magisk Manager to "hide itself" is that it merely renames itself (to a name you can choose; default is "Settings") so it's not detected by any root detection. In any case, you should be able to find it in the Apps list in Settings/Apps, and uninstall it that way.
As to what to install over the top of it, installing the latest stable 25.2 would be the best idea -- the Magisk App does not need to match the version that is patched and flashed to your boot partition...

koberulz

Oct 4, 2012
Perth
I don't know about topjohnwu being hired and working for Google or what not, but Magisk is still being currently worked on and developed so it has not been "nuked"...
My understanding was that he got hired and they said he had to give it up, there was some negotiation and they let him continue working on it as long as Magisk Hide was removed as a feature.

But this isn't something that really interests me all that much, so I don't keep up with the news on it. I more just check in whenever I get a new phone in order to figure out how to root it.

How is Magisk Manager hidden "itself" if you claim you attempt to run the app and it force-closes? The only way for Magisk Manager to "hide itself" is that it merely renames itself (to a name you can choose; default is "Settings")
Yes, this is what I was referring to.

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Yes, this is what I was referring to.
Again, I ask, as you stated; you try to open it -- so you must know what name it's under then (even though it's hidden since it being hidden is just it hiding its name) -- and it keeps force closing or stopping... so why can't you find the app details and uninstall it?

koberulz

Oct 4, 2012
Perth
Again, I ask, as you stated; you try to open it -- so you must know what name it's under then (even though it's hidden since it being hidden is just it hiding its name) -- and it keeps force closing or stopping... so why can't you find the app details and uninstall it?
Because I don't know how that will affect root/hide. I'm not sure what the status of Magisk is these days.

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Because I don't know how that will affect root/hide. I'm not sure what the status of Magisk is these days.
Magisk is pretty much the only way to root at this point -- I just learnt of another method KernelSU, but it seems pretty basic, especially in comparison to Magisk -- and the status of Magisk is that it is still very much active and actively developed; as it is the sole rooting method for numerous Android running devices, not just Pixels.

Your original issue is that Magisk Manager isn't working properly after updating and seems to be freezing/force-closing. The standard way of fixing that is to uninstall/remove the Magisk Manager app and re-install it (either the stable version or an earlier canary version that had worked previously).
Removing Magisk Manager app will NOT affect root and/or the patched boot partition. It WILL affect granting apps root access and will affect Magisk Hide (or Zygisk DenyList) -- but that will only last as far/long as rebooting and re-installing the Magisk Manager app. Once you re-install it, you will gain all of that back; it is only momentarily lost in between the uninstallation and re-installation.

koberulz

Oct 4, 2012
Perth
Magisk is pretty much the only way to root at this point -- I just learnt of another method KernelSU, but it seems pretty basic, especially in comparison to Magisk -- and the status of Magisk is that it is still very much active and actively developed; as it is the sole rooting method for numerous Android running devices, not just Pixels.

Your original issue is that Magisk Manager isn't working properly after updating and seems to be freezing/force-closing. The standard way of fixing that is to uninstall/remove the Magisk Manager app and re-install it (either the stable version or an earlier canary version that had worked previously).
Removing Magisk Manager app will NOT affect root and/or the patched boot partition. It WILL affect granting apps root access and will affect Magisk Hide (or Zygisk DenyList) -- but that will only last as far/long as rebooting and re-installing the Magisk Manager app. Once you re-install it, you will gain all of that back; it is only momentarily lost in between the uninstallation and re-installation.
Is there a dedicated Magisk thread? It's very difficult to find things on this forum, given how large it is.

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member
What's the difference?
The first one is the first, general Magisk thread (that is still active and currently discussed). The second is as it is stated in the headline -- "This is a discussion and help thread for the newer versions of Magisk".
Most likely this is where you should go for your issues -- and to see how actively developed it is currently being.

It's just as you said, you've been away from rooting/Magisk for a while; the newer version of Magisk contains/employs Zygisk -- "Zygisk is new generation Magisk hide...Zygisk is what the Magisk developers call running Magisk in the Zygote Process of Android. The Zygote Process is the first process that the OS starts when it boots up, ... Since zygote starts first after system, it can hide root without sending data to apps." (source) As such, that's why a new thread was created and why it is sub-titled as "The Age of Zygisk"...
*but there are many more methods of hiding root than Zygisk (or in conjunction with); Shamiko, Magisk Delta, HideMyApp, etc.

In the end, I'm sure they'll suggest what I've suggested to you in some fashion -- you'll have to uninstall the Magisk Manager (hidden or not), and re-install the stable or earlier canary versions. But it'll be better coming from the people in that thread...

Good luck!

Reactions: dcarvil

Top Liked Posts