I Created Auto-Sign app for update.zip and Launcher.apk! :Possibly abandoned!

Search This thread

damnitpud

Jul 6, 2007
RI
**UPDATE** This project maybe abandoned, after using Stericson's method i found signing to be much easier. You can find his method here. There has been 26 people who downloaded my tool and if those users want me to continue on this project, i will. but i recommend giving Stericson's method a try. You will still need to make sure both Jave JRE and Java JDK are installed with Stericson's Method and also with his script make sure to type in yes or no, not y or n =).

I would appreciate if anyone using my tool would post here if they want me to continue with this project or not.

Right now it will only sign update.zip,framework-res.apk and Launcher.apk. I am working on adding all of the other apks to this app.

This app was built in Visual Studio 2008, you may need .Net3.5 Framework installed to run it.

To use this app just extract it to a folder.
It includes:
update
-update\app
-update\framework
Auto-Sign.exe
signapk.jar
testkey.pk8
testkey.x509.pem

This app works the same as Dave Da illest 1's autosign.bat. If you have signed themes with dave's method you will be able to use this.

You will need to make sure that Java is installed for this to work, make sure to install JRE and JDK here.

Once you extract the files into a folder, copy a theme's update.zip into the root folder. Extract the the files you will be editing, edit your files, drag them back into the apk use this program to sign the apk, drag the apk back into update.zip and use this program to sign the update.zip.

When signing Launcher.apk or any other app's apk the program will look in:
"whatever folder you extracted to"\update\app.

Please leave me any comments or questions i will try to respond to them. If you have any other ideas or plain think this app sucks and i should delete immediately let me know =)

I will add the updates and some screen shots in the next few days.

::UPDATE:: 01/17/09
I made a few changes to the app, I also added the folders that the program is expecting to be there. Now when you load the app it tells you if the files are found or not. Also I added framework-res.apk to the list to be signed.

I am working on a part of the app that will allow it to check if the original file was signed or not. This way it will not create a _signed.apk or zip.

::UPDATE::: 01/18/09
I have added some labels to the GUI that will tell you if the files are found or not. I changed around the buttons and gave a little bit better description under the read me button. I got rid of the message boxes when you started the app. Comment here and let me know what you think.

Last edited:

Stericson

Retired Senior Mod / Retired Senior RD
Nov 10, 2008
I just think you guys are making more work for yourselves by using this version of the signing tool that still creates a double. Why not use the version that overwrites the file with the signed apk, so you will do less work?

Stericson

Reactions: finance.resat

damnitpud

Jul 6, 2007
RI
I just think you guys are making more work for yourselves by using this version of the signing tool that still creates a double. Why not use the version that overwrites the file with the signed apk, so you will do less work?

Stericson

Hey Stericson, I changed the code in that app so it doesn't write the new signed file. But i noticed the original file didnt change either. Should signing the file change the modified time when you look at the properties? if not there is there another confirmation, to tell the file has been signed?

damnitpud

Jul 6, 2007
RI

Stericson

The way the program is now it is a little more work, but a lot of people don't know anything about system variables and eventually i would like to make the program import the files directly into the correct apks and then push them into the update.zip after they are signed and then sign the update.zip itself.

damnitpud

Jul 6, 2007
RI
why do we have to sign these ?
We have to sign the files because Google setup Android so not just anyone could install anything they wanted. They wanted to have control of what was installed. Which was flubbed by JesusFreke and the other XDA hackers.

Short answer...it is a security measure set by Google.

stogchris81

Aug 9, 2008
Westport/Plaza Kansas City Mo.
more proof the universe is against me.

so... i tried using koush's steps to install auto-rotate browser. i first had to download the android sdk, however i cannot get it to install correctly and have never seen the tools folder. then i find out that there is a way that is easier (for me). downloaded the auto-sign app. then, found out i had to download 2 java apps, so i tried. the installation was unsuccessful. this is odd because with all the steps it took to get root, it was actually quite easy. but auto-rotate browser just does not want to be on my G1.

ok, i tried downloading the java apps again, this time, instead of downloading with the sun download manager, i double clicked on the file name to download with my firefox browser and it worked just fine. fyi.

Last edited:

damnitpud

Jul 6, 2007
RI
**UPDATE** This project maybe abandoned, after using Stericson's method i found signing to be much easier. You can find his method here. There has been 26 people who downloaded my tool and if those users want me to continue on this project, i will. but i recommend giving Stericson's method a try. You will still need to make sure both Jave JRE and Java JDK are installed with Stericson's Method and also with his script make sure to type in yes or no, not y or n =).

I would appreciate if anyone using my tool would post here if they want me to continue with this project or not.

parmenti

Feb 28, 2009
BTW.. this auto-sign tool was the only way I could get signing to work.. so THANK YOU and I hope you will continue this project.

damnitpud

Jul 6, 2007
RI
I built this tool before i had a full understanding about signing. there is no need to sign the other apks...just the update.zip. It signs all the apks below it. so this tool is fully functional. I just didnt know it at the time heh =)

Glad it helped you out.

n8izzle

May 8, 2008
El Paso
vista 64 bit?

hello, i was wandering if this would work with vista 64 bit.. for some odd reason on my old computer i was able to sign the files no problem but now with my new computer after "signing" it gets stuck on the animated screen... Is anyone using this and running Vista 64bit?? Have a good day..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Right now it will only sign update.zip,framework-res.apk and Launcher.apk. I am working on adding all of the other apks to this app.

This app was built in Visual Studio 2008, you may need .Net3.5 Framework installed to run it.

To use this app just extract it to a folder.
    It includes:
    update
    -update\app
    -update\framework
    Auto-Sign.exe
    signapk.jar
    testkey.pk8
    testkey.x509.pem

This app works the same as Dave Da illest 1's autosign.bat. If you have signed themes with dave's method you will be able to use this.

You will need to make sure that Java is installed for this to work, make sure to install JRE and JDK here.

Once you extract the files into a folder, copy a theme's update.zip into the root folder. Extract the the files you will be editing, edit your files, drag them back into the apk use this program to sign the apk, drag the apk back into update.zip and use this program to sign the update.zip.

When signing Launcher.apk or any other app's apk the program will look in:
    "whatever folder you extracted to"\update\app.

Please leave me any comments or questions i will try to respond to them. If you have any other ideas or plain think this app sucks and i should delete immediately let me know =)

I will add the updates and some screen shots in the next few days.

::UPDATE:: 01/17/09
    I made a few changes to the app, I also added the folders that the program is expecting to be there. Now when you load the app it tells you if the files are found or not. Also I added framework-res.apk to the list to be signed.

I am working on a part of the app that will allow it to check if the original file was signed or not. This way it will not create a _signed.apk or zip.

::UPDATE::: 01/18/09
    I have added some labels to the GUI that will tell you if the files are found or not. I changed around the buttons and gave a little bit better description under the read me button. I got rid of the message boxes when you started the app. Comment here and let me know what you think.

Stericson