• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

I downgraded from android 10 to android 8.1

Search This thread

dplc81

Dec 18, 2013
Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite
I remember I had the same message "no space left on device", but I didn't notice anything wrong with my apps, specially Amazon apps, Kindle and Prime Video are ok.

My only question is: is it safe to relock the bootloader after all the procedure? I feel the phone would be safer this way, but I fear bricking it.

AnonymousAL

Dec 17, 2017
My only question is: is it safe to relock the bootloader after all the procedure? I feel the phone would be safer this way, but I fear bricking it.
Yes it is!
I have locked bootloader since I downgraded to Oreo.
Remember that locking/unlocking bootloader resets your phone and then you have to disable updates again.
EDIT: You can use the trick with volume button to lock bootloader without reset but I dont suggest it to you because you can mistakenly reset later by trying to soft reboot

Reactions: dplc81

pipysk1

Feb 9, 2021
Anyone else in this low-end topic? I successfully downgraded to flash clean but the device was auto reset. How can it be overcome.

Last edited:

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I would go with Pie, no scope storage with adequate security.
Oreo is suspectable to those nasty evasive rootkits that need a reflash to eliminate, Pie is not.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
No AAC/aptx on Pie. So i want to downgrade to android 8.
I'm using a Samsung so it's the SSC codec that I use. LDAC is the other higher resolution bt alternative.
That one rootkit I found after a quick search affects Android 7 and earlier. However I may have found the wrong one as I remembered it being everything pre-Pie.

Regardless, always practice good security protocols no matter what Android version you use... you are what you load🤣

omeringen

Feb 3, 2014
Fastboot flashing

1. Download desired Android One version from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a2-lite/how-to/fastboot-xiaomi-mi-a2-fastboot-images-t3824871
2. Download platform tools from here: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools
3. Unpack Android One till you will have images folder and other files
4. Unpack platform tools and open it in CMD (you can do it by writing "cmd" in folder path)
5. Go into developer settings and turn on OEM unlocking and usb debugging
6. Boot your phone into fastboot mode (connect your phone to the pc and write "adb reboot bootloader)
7. Unlock bootloader by "fastboot oem unlock" command
8. Boot to fastboot again
9. Copy your android one path and paste it into adb and add /flash_all.bat and hit enter
a) flash_all.bat - installs android one and removes everything
b) flash_all_lock.bat - same as the one above but will also lock the bootloader (phone might not work after locking the bootloader)
c) flash_all_lock_crc.bat - lock bootloader and encrypts data
d) flash_all_except_storage.bat - flashes android one but doesn't remove any apps or reset setting (not recommended if downgrading or updating from 8 to 9 for example)
10. Once you finish configuring your device unlock developer settings and turn off automatic updates

Xiaomi Flash Tool

From point 1 to 8 it's the same
9. Download Xiaomi Flash Tool from here: https://www.xiaomiflash.com/
10. Unpack it and open it
11. Connect your phone to the computer
12. In the right bottom corner choose which one of .bat files you want to use
13. Boot to edl mode by "adb reboot edl" or "adb restart edl" (don't remember which one works)
14. Click flash and wait till it says "done" or "finish"
15. Disconnect your phone and hold power button for about 10s
16. Configure, disable automatic updates and enjoy

Personally I didn't notice any diffirence between flashing through fastboot and Flash Tool, but a lot of people recommend using flash tool to downgrade
Also I hope this guide is quite easy to understand

Edit: Also while configuring update will start downloading so just go to Updater and stop it

//edit
Okay, i applied these steps for downgrading mi a2 lite QKQ1.191002.002.V11.0.18.0.QDLMIXM to V9.6.11.0.ODLMIFF.

There is no aptx support for bluetooth but there is AAC unlike android 10. Has aptx ever been enabled on A2 Lite ? (not officially AFAIK).

- Everything works like a charm. So fast, fluid.
- General phone call quality is better. There are no sound issues. Microphone was buggy time to time on Android 10.
- Bluetooth listening + bluetooth call(microphone especially) quality is so much +++ better.

Last edited:

t123321

Dec 1, 2015
I cant downgrade. I tried fastboot mode, edl mode but anytime same problem. Flashed rom, try to boot and bootloop. I can only flash android 10.
Any help?

t123321

Dec 1, 2015
I cant downgrade. I tried fastboot mode, edl mode but anytime same problem. Flashed rom, try to boot and bootloop. I can only flash android 10.
Any help?
Found the problem
I have installed latest 8.1 rom 9.6.11, and this created all problems with no data on sim card slow wifi etc. Installed first 8.1 (9.6 4.0) release and everything is fine. After that i let it update to 9.6.11.0.
So far no problem. Everything is fast and smooth. Only problem no fm radio.
Sims swapped but using this
HTTP:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/gsi-daisy-tweaks-fix.3899630/
solved it. Unlock bootloader, boot to twrp, install zip, relock bootloader.

Last edited:

tuffmelo

May 28, 2021
Hi guys.I finally managed to downgrade to android 8 and i want to share my experience.
special thanks to AnonymousAL & Divolka & Ianetfiravum for their method. I combined their method and downgraded successfully.
first unlocked the bootloader
then installed the latest miflashtool and let it install the drivers
then downloaded the latest android 8(9.6.11.0) and the latest android 9(10.0.20) and extract them all and replaced the modem.img file on the android 8 with the android 9 modem.(so i used android 9 modem.img on android 8). then in the fastboot mode connected phone to pc and opened minimalADB and typed "fastboot" then closed the minimaladb and opened it again and typed the cmmand "fastboot devices" to check if device is connected or not. then to entering edl mode typed "fastboot oem edl" and opened the miflash and flashed the android 8. i set the flash mode to cleanall and i let the bootloader be unlocked. so far everything's good.but i think the battery was a bit better on android 10. its not draining battery on 8 but i can feel that it was a little bit better when i was on android 10 and other thing that is not that much important but can be feel is that the contrast between the apps icon and background is a bit low that first i thinked the resolution is low but on other apps its good except on launcher between the app's icon and background.
I saw a post about editing kernel on android 10 that stops killing apps on background:
if someone has done it or have experience with it please share experience
and sorry guys for my bad english.

Reactions: Kaimilo

mr.onegin

Nov 10, 2008
Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite
I saw a post about editing kernel on android 10 that stops killing apps on background:

Yes, it's working or flash any custom kernel for stock Q
Upd
If you featured just app killing bug, you are happy mfckr like me, there is many users with different screens, wifi, fingerprint and so on sensors and chip's! And don't forget how many years this model is still supported by G with security updates... All bugs are Xiaomi corp. unsupport.

Last edited:

Kaimilo

Hi guys.I finally managed to downgrade to android 8 and i want to share my experience.
special thanks to AnonymousAL & Divolka & Ianetfiravum for their method. I combined their method and downgraded successfully.
first unlocked the bootloader
then installed the latest miflashtool and let it install the drivers
then downloaded the latest android 8(9.6.11.0) and the latest android 9(10.0.20) and extract them all and replaced the modem.img file on the android 8 with the android 9 modem.(so i used android 9 modem.img on android 8). then in the fastboot mode connected phone to pc and opened minimalADB and typed "fastboot" then closed the minimaladb and opened it again and typed the cmmand "fastboot devices" to check if device is connected or not. then to entering edl mode typed "fastboot oem edl" and opened the miflash and flashed the android 8. i set the flash mode to cleanall and i let the bootloader be unlocked. so far everything's good.but i think the battery was a bit better on android 10. its not draining battery on 8 but i can feel that it was a little bit better when i was on android 10 and other thing that is not that much important but can be feel is that the contrast between the apps icon and background is a bit low that first i thinked the resolution is low but on other apps its good except on launcher between the app's icon and background.

I am one of the guys commenting on the topic you posted, yeah it works good but after 72h you start to feel the phone is getting slow again, it keeps the apps but stills slow

In my opinion i prefer android 10 but i will keep with android 9 or 8, or you can just like i did flash a kernel into android 10 but some are buggy

I will change to custom rom in a few time

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I was fed up with Xiaomi latest updates on this Phone Mi A2 lite and decided to give it a go to downgrade to android 8.1 back when this phone was A REAL BEAST!
    Guess what happened. Firstly there was no mobile network so I flashed again with android 10 modem.img and everything was looking fine the phone was snappy, blazingly fast then i noticed that video camera could not record normal video only short,slow motion and timelapse videos. When it was with android 8 original modem this was not happening. So after reading some stuff here on XDA I tried to flash modem.img of the first ever fastboot rom available for mi a2 lite. it was 9.6.4.0 and after i flashed that, i had mobile data doing just fine, tried the video recorder and everything was smooth.
    During that time i enjoyed using my phone, I had oppened PES 2020 since morning that day, and when i tried to play at midnight before sleep it was still on the ram and I was like WOW thats fantastic.
    Sadly after i went to sleep and i woke up I noticed the phone to be updated to android 9 pie. And i was frustrated because it was so great i completely forgot the part i was seeing to buy another fast phone. And yesterday I tried again with the same steps but even i had video not working, or i had not mobile network. I couldnt make it work. So if anyone knows how to make it happen please help.
    Bugs that appeared since android 9 was not there in android 8.1

WIFI AND BLUETOOTH
    I thought this was an hardware issue but no! Even if it still had some interference like from 43Mbps I got like38 Mbps with both on while on oreo but not like 43 with 4-8 Mbps on Pie or Android 10.

The only two things that on oreo wesre bad was that camera had no option for 60fps record and no FM Radio!

BUT I WOULD DO EVERYTHING TO GET OREO ONE MORE TIME WORKING :(:(
    Thank you very much but i was able to do myself with some commands in twrp adb mode i found in a thread! This phone is a suppppeer beast now! I can keep this phone for another year with no problem at all! Its super smooth and snappy??
    Hello together, same for me. With the latest Android my A2 Lite is really crappy. Even freezes while using Chrome. Reading that there might be issues while downgrading I would appreciate if someone could support with a proper how-to.
    Thanks

Fastboot flashing

1. Download desired Android One version from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a2-lite/how-to/fastboot-xiaomi-mi-a2-fastboot-images-t3824871
    2. Download platform tools from here: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools
    3. Unpack Android One till you will have images folder and other files
    4. Unpack platform tools and open it in CMD (you can do it by writing "cmd" in folder path)
    5. Go into developer settings and turn on OEM unlocking and usb debugging
    6. Boot your phone into fastboot mode (connect your phone to the pc and write "adb reboot bootloader)
    7. Unlock bootloader by "fastboot oem unlock" command
    8. Boot to fastboot again
    9. Copy your android one path and paste it into adb and add /flash_all.bat and hit enter
    a) flash_all.bat - installs android one and removes everything
    b) flash_all_lock.bat - same as the one above but will also lock the bootloader (phone might not work after locking the bootloader)
    c) flash_all_lock_crc.bat - lock bootloader and encrypts data
    d) flash_all_except_storage.bat - flashes android one but doesn't remove any apps or reset setting (not recommended if downgrading or updating from 8 to 9 for example)
    10. Once you finish configuring your device unlock developer settings and turn off automatic updates

Xiaomi Flash Tool

From point 1 to 8 it's the same
    9. Download Xiaomi Flash Tool from here: https://www.xiaomiflash.com/
    10. Unpack it and open it
    11. Connect your phone to the computer
    12. In the right bottom corner choose which one of .bat files you want to use
    13. Boot to edl mode by "adb reboot edl" or "adb restart edl" (don't remember which one works)
    14. Click flash and wait till it says "done" or "finish"
    15. Disconnect your phone and hold power button for about 10s
    16. Configure, disable automatic updates and enjoy

Personally I didn't notice any diffirence between flashing through fastboot and Flash Tool, but a lot of people recommend using flash tool to downgrade
    Also I hope this guide is quite easy to understand

Edit: Also while configuring update will start downloading so just go to Updater and stop it
    Yes it is true, the speed of the phone is amazing compared to Android 10. But now I am facing battery issues :( phone does not go into deep sleep anymore, therefore battery lost almost 30% in half a day without using. In the settings I can only see that system / Android OS is the root cause but even the battery analitics apps can't tell me which app is the reason.

edit: according to BBS it is netmgr_wl what leads to the wakelocks so indeed related to the modem issue. Anyone has any advice? Should I flash the modem.img from the Android 10 Rom and if yes how?

I am not having any battery issues with the method I followed, do not know if that is the reason or not. And I am having the best battery life i have ever had on this phone with android 8.1.
    Screenshot-20200826-132452.jpg

I am playing hard with my phone and it still gets 6+ screen on time. Without playing pes 2020 i get 8-10+ screen on time
    EDIT: I keep bluetooth Always On to be connected with my mi band 3. Because before i couldnt use it with wifi turned on because we all know what it does to internet speed
    omg now I want to downgrade so bad, the latest android 10 update is working "good" in comparison how it was but I still remember how good was the phone before the first version update and it hurts :eek:
    As I was the one who started this and its been like two weeks since i have done the downgrade i think if you want the phone to work like it was supposed to you should downgrade!
    Remember that you will only lose 60 fps recording and fm radio because those were not available on android 8.1 but thats a very cheap price to pay comparing with the performance you get after the downgrade! You will think it's another phone after the downgrade because its so fast that it can outperform my friends s8 and s9 easily!