I found a way to unlock amazon x4! (only tested on european model xt1900-7)

Search This thread

cseth

Aug 22, 2020
So a few days ago I picked up my X4 on Amazon to replace my dying old Samsung, (XT1900-7, 4/64) for 125€ which is a steal for the specs you get. After playing with it for a while I decided to unlock the Bootloader so I can root it. When I tried the fastboot oem get_unlock_data in fastboot mode It only says "Invalid Command" then I realised I have the Amazon Prime version (which had Alexa installed), which allegedly cannot be unlocked, and was stuck in Android 8. So after a lot of googling I tried Sideloading Pie in fastboot, which didn´t work. Applying update from SD Card also didn´t work (couldn´t mount /sdcard). So I followed this method here: https://xdaforums.com/moto-x4/how-to/rom-upgrade-directly-to-pie-8-0-locked-t3876127 (thanks to TeamRainless). I downloaded the factory signed Image from the MEGA Link: https://mega.nz/#!QQ1mgKpS!ce2kysojSUv9pzA-V4YE4kv5jg0S7X5X1lNrIWn6su0. I put the zip file (DO NOT RENAME THE FILE!) in the root folder of my internal storage, then checked the update manually in the Settings, and voila! It applies the Pie update in the 30 Minutes and now I have the retail version of the ROM without Amazon apps on it.

I applied all patches until September 2019 (PPWS29.69-37-5). I rebooted into fastboot mode and ran the fastboot oem get_unlock_data as usual and now I get the 5 lines of code I could use to unlock the device. I logged into Motorola website and pasted the code, accepted all the T&Cs, got the unlock code in my Email and now my phone is unlockable. I ran this in fastboot fastboot oem unlock *code given in email* and the phone was unlocked. When I rebooted the phone all my data was deleted so if you want to do this back up your data first! I hope this gives hope to all of you who bought the Amazon version without knowing. Good luck trying and stay healthy guys!

https://postimg.cc/gallery/XXVR3H3

Last edited:

gatesps

May 4, 2019
Hey, bumping this with a few general questions:
  1. Has anyone with the US Amazon XT1900-1 been able to unlock their bootloader this way?
  2. Is there any way to get this working if I'm already at the most recent patch?
  3. I know that attempting a downgrade with a locked bootloader causes a bootloop. Is it possible to recover from that state? Exactly how bad of an idea would it be to try to downgrade to Oreo (triggering the bootloop) then apply the stock (non-Amazon) Pie image?

maks_kyiv

Aug 20, 2018
Hey, bumping this with a few general questions:
  1. Has anyone with the US Amazon XT1900-1 been able to unlock their bootloader this way?
  2. Is there any way to get this working if I'm already at the most recent patch?
  3. I know that attempting a downgrade with a locked bootloader causes a bootloop. Is it possible to recover from that state? Exactly how bad of an idea would it be to try to downgrade to Oreo (triggering the bootloop) then apply the stock (non-Amazon) Pie image?
I have Moto X4 Amazon XT1900-1. I'm not sure that I have US version and I don't know how to check this.
I can check you method on this phone.
I have Android 9(Version PPWS29.69-39-6-4 with security patch from January 2020) on my phone.
So update application doesn't see factory signed image.
Is there any way to downgrade to Android 8?
Or is there any other way how to install mentioned image?

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
I have Moto X4 Amazon XT1900-1. I'm not sure that I have US version and I don't know how to check this.
I can check you method on this phone.
I have Android 9(Version PPWS29.69-39-6-4 with security patch from January 2020) on my phone.
So update application doesn't see factory signed image.
Is there any way to downgrade to Android 8?
Only if the bootloader is already unlocked
Or is there any other way how to install mentioned image?

maks_kyiv

Aug 20, 2018
I got error when trying to get fastboot variables:
$fastboot getvar all (bootloader) slot-co: not found (bootloader) slot-suffi: not found (bootloader) allt-suffixes: not found getvar:all FAILED (remote failure) finished. total time: 0.000s

Only if the bootloader is already unlocked
Bad, I will wait for any working bootloader unlocking method for Amazon phones.

maks_kyiv

Aug 20, 2018
I got error when trying to get fastboot variables:
$fastboot getvar all (bootloader) slot-co: not found (bootloader) slot-suffi: not found (bootloader) allt-suffixes: not found getvar:all FAILED (remote failure) finished. total time: 0.000s
Tried on another PC. Got all fastboot variables successfully.
So my phone is from US.

Shadeclan

Jan 7, 2017
Bennington, VT
Moto G 5G
I also have an XT1900-1 already upgraded to Pie with a locked bootloader. I had a thought - would it be possible to trick the update service into thinking that this image is an upgrade? How does the update service know that the image is a newer version anyway?