• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

I Got Hamachi Working on G1 Android!

Search This thread

weasel5i2

May 8, 2008
Austin Texas
Hello,

I was interested in getting Hamachi to work on my newly-acquired G1. After applying Cyanogen's Mod and rooting the thing, installing Debian (yay!) and setting up all the nifty scripts to make it semi-permanent, I focused on getting Hamachi to work.

First I tried the Linux tgz but it failed ("wrong architecture, teabag!" it told me.) ..so I looked around some more, and came across a build for the Nokia N770 (Maemo something-or-other) and decided to give it a try, and holy **** if it didn't work (after some tweaking.)

NOTE: YMMV.

Make sure your phone is r00ted. Can't do it without the r00ty-juice. Also, a Debian distro is required. See here for how: http://www.saurik.com/id/10

**EDIT** I just reflashed my G1, so I had the opportunity to try again and figure out the exact steps! Here they are, as they worked for me:

01) Download the N770 Hamachi tarball: http://files.hamachi.cc/linux/nokia-770/hamachi-0.9.9.9-20-lnx-n770.tar.gz .

02) Untar/ungzip it, it will extract to hamachi-n770-0.9.9.9-20.

03) cd into there, and run sh ./install.

04) mkdir /dev/net to create the node directory in /dev.

05) mknod /dev/net/tun c 10 200 to create the tunnel device.

06) apt-get install sudo if you don't already have it.

07) apt-get install libcrypto++7 if you don't already have it.

08) ln -s /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7

09) sudo tuncfg to get the tunnel driver started.

10) hamachi-init to set up the initial configuration and RSA keys.

11) hamachi start to start up Hamachi.

12) hamachi login to login to the Hamachi network.

13) hamachi set-nick nickname if desired.

14) hamachi join network password if desired.

Success!! Got my G1 online and logged into my Hamachi network! I did apply this Linux fix (to make it stay online within my Hamachi2 network -- this is Hamachi 0.9.9):

echo KeepAlive 10 >/root/.hamachi/config

Maybe overkill, as it's gonna send a ping every 10 seconds over the air, which I'm sure will eat up my battery after a while.

--Weasel5i2

Last edited:

the_fish

May 12, 2008
nice! been waiting for something like this for quite some time ;D having some problems though... it won't compile... when i run make install, just keeps on giving me a "Nothing to do for target "install"" Tried removing tuncfg folder and hamachi executable too (which doesn't work btw, says libcrypto is missing), still didn't work... any ideas?

weasel5i2

May 8, 2008
Austin Texas
Oh, thanks for reminding me! I also did an apt-get install libcrypto++7 when it gave a linker error.

As far as Make goes, it doesn't really compile (it is precompiled) as much as just copy the binaries to the proper places in the path.. Try doing the install of libcrypto++7 and see if it works for you.

--W5i2

the_fish

May 12, 2008
alright... so ive tried installing libcypto 0.9.8 and renamed it to 09.9.7.... however it still says i need to run hamachi-init which doesn"t work!

Edit: alright, got it... i had to do sh install ;)

Last edited:

the_fish

May 12, 2008
Can any of you two (Fish & Zero) whom have gotten this to work confirm what you did, and if "Debian" is needed ?

it does work, it only works on debian at the moment, since the binaries are not designed for android. however, the network connection should work with android too, since debian and android share their connections...
all you need to do is follow the instructions, but also run
apt-get install libcrypto0.9.8 and
mv /usr/lib/libcrypto0.9.8.so /usr/lib/libcrypto0.9.7.so (something like that :p check ls /usr/lib)

TheUriel

Jul 23, 2009
New York City
Alright so im still breaking my neck to get this to work but i dont get it.

This guy says "4) Untar/ungzip the file, run 'make install' and it should install without errors/warnings, IIRC.. (I did this last night)". What is he talking about ? Do i download the zip file, extract the folder in it to the root of my SD ? because thats what i have done so far. And if yes after then what comes next ? I cant put his puzzle together. -.- So lost, and i really want this.

Zerodime

Feb 26, 2009
You need a working debian on your android for this to work.
and even then its helluva lot of doing magic until it so much as tells you that it's started.

My Problem for example is that when i do: "hamachi start" it tells me that it can'T access the tun device (no such device) but it's there...

weasel5i2

May 8, 2008
Austin Texas
Updated PP

I reflashed my phone, so I had a chance to install Hamachi and document it again. As such, I updated the parent post with the correct instructions.

Enjoy, and please let me know if anything doesn't work and I'll happily try and help with troubleshooting.

--W5i2

Zerodime

Feb 26, 2009
Hmm almost eberything works except 'hamachi start' wich throws bad response from tuncfg (/dev/net/tun no such device)
Prolly a problem with my debian installation but you got an idea without reinstalling the whole thing?

weasel5i2

May 8, 2008
Austin Texas
You need to make the tun device first:

# mkdir /dev/net
# mknod /dev/net/tun c 10 200

I have since rewritten the original post to have more detailed (and proper) instructions.

^_^
-W-

Proxin

Feb 6, 2009
Pallet Town
Can't wait to go try this. :D

Does anyone have any VNC viewers (preferably free) that they recommend for use with this? My computer is behind a NAT router so I need to use Hamachi to access it.