• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

I got the Google Pixel 5, what do you need to know?

Search This thread

TotallydubbedHD

Dec 7, 2010
London
www.totallydubbed.net
UPDATE 15 October:
Embargo has now lifted!
I got THREE additional videos now live; the full review, camera, and audio review:

UPDATE 5 October:
I've been informed on 5 Oct to not post anything further on the Pixel 5 until the embargo lifts (which I can't communicate when that is).[/B]
You can find more information about the device via my Twitter feed; incl battery updates, camera shots etc.

Hi everyone,

Seen there's some love for the Pixel 5 here at XDA (Hi again XDA gang!), so as I have the phone in front of me. What do you need to know?
I'm looking to get confirmation from my source to see if I can extract the camera.apk for you, but before sharing any files (including original photos from the Pixel 5), I'm getting it confirmed. Rather be safe than sorry :)

Anyway, ask away, I'll try my best to answer everything I can.

Oh, and my video on YouTube of the phone (if you don't believe I have the phone), is live on my channel too:

EDIT: Latest YouTube hands-on video has just gone live!

Last edited:

topjohnwu

Senior Recognized Developer / Recog. Contributor
Jan 31, 2012
Taipei
Hi everyone,

Seen there's some love for the Pixel 5 here at XDA (Hi again XDA gang!), so as I have the phone in front of me. What do you need to know?
I'm looking to get confirmation from my source to see if I can extract the camera.apk for you, but before sharing any files (including original photos from the Pixel 5), I'm getting it confirmed. Rather be safe than sorry :)

Oh, and my video on YouTube of the phone (if you don't believe I have the phone), is live on my channel too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBiRaK3XB5Y

Can you get into ADB shell and report the output of
Code:
cat /proc/mounts
?

cstark27

Jul 2, 2010
Hi everyone,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBiRaK3XB5Y

Hey, thanks!

Can you confirm that you can switch to the Ultra Wide Angle camera in third party apps (Snapchat, Instagram, etc) when doing a pinch zoom out?

Is there an Ambient EQ setting in Settings>Display>Advanced?

ismailonrails

Mar 13, 2014
How much bright display is?
Can you force 90hz from developer settings?
How is haptics?
How is stereo speakers?
How slow it feels to flagship phones like Pixel 4 or Note 20 Ultra? Especially if someone is using 2020 flagship phones.

Chosen_on184

Jul 27, 2009
Since you're able to hold it and use it, is it worth the price they are retailing it for ?

How are the stereo speakers, are they comparable to the 3XL ?

How responsive is it ?

spandu500

Dec 1, 2014
Navi Mumbai
How's the feel of the device, slippery or gritty like the renders suggest? Does it support hdmi output from its usb-c port? Still squeezable? Fp gestures for qs return? Pixel visual core is present? Any feature parity between the normal and ultrawide cam? What's the max slo-mo fps? Anything major is missing? And sorry for asking so many questions. ?

TotallydubbedHD

Dec 7, 2010
London
www.totallydubbed.net
Can you get into ADB shell and report the output of
Code:
cat /proc/mounts
?

Won't be sharing any finer details until I have confirmation that I can (incl the camera.apk), sorry!

How did you get it? Well, yes, we would all like to take a look at apk gcam

Got it from Vodafone, a mobile provider in the UK.

Nice! So heavy is it? Im coming from a Note 9 which is a heavy phone. Hoping the P5 is a little lighter in build. What month security update is it on? What color u got?

It's in black, as you'll see from the video. and Weight wise it's light :)

Hey, thanks!

Can you confirm that you can switch to the Ultra Wide Angle camera in third party apps (Snapchat, Instagram, etc) when doing a pinch zoom out?

Is there an Ambient EQ setting in Settings>Display>Advanced?
I don't use Snapchat, so can't comment on that. But on IG I can't zoom out, but can zoom in. Same happens when I'm on the S10+, however.

How much bright display is?
Can you force 90hz from developer settings?
How is haptics?
How is stereo speakers?
How slow it feels to flagship phones like Pixel 4 or Note 20 Ultra? Especially if someone is using 2020 flagship phones.

It gets REALLY bright, haven't measured it yet - but I suspect it's above 500 nits.
'Smooth Display' can be enabled via the Display options: 60->90Hz automatically.
There's no additional option in the dev settings

Haptics feel natural, nothing to report, other than it's located at the bottom of the phone.
Stereo speakers upon first impressions are pretty poor; they sound tinny. The S10+ trounces it.
Feels fluid so far, but can'#t really pass much judgement as I've only had it for a short time.

How does the screen brightness compare to the 4xl?
Didn't get the 4XL, but as mentioned above, it's bright; need to measure it.

The wallpapers on the promotional images are included? Can you share?

Can't share anything from the phone until I can say it's safe to do so, sorry!
Since you're able to hold it and use it, is it worth the price they are retailing it for ?

How are the stereo speakers, are they comparable to the 3XL ?

How responsive is it ?

See above on the answers I've given to others :)

TotallydubbedHD

Dec 7, 2010
London
www.totallydubbed.net

Emu

Apr 5, 2013
What's the screen brightness? Is it brighter than the 4 XL? I have googled everywhere and just no answer about something so important.
Also is the battery life significantly better and do you think it's worth buying coming from a 4 XL?

Edit: nvm just saw your replies! Thank you! Is Ambient EQ available under Settings > Display?
It's not listed on the Store site which is suspicious.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts