I got the Google Pixel 5, what do you need to know?

Search This thread

jimv1983

Feb 28, 2011
Benicia, CA

Interesting. Surprised they even bother to list 2G anymore.

What country are you in if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks. Not exactly what I was expecting. I'm surprised 2G is there and I'm surprised it has 4G instead of LTE.

My Pixel 2 XL has LTE and 3G so I was expecting 5G, LTE and 3G. Either way it does appear that I'll be able to disable 5G which is what I was really looking for. :good:

TotallydubbedHD

Dec 7, 2010
London
www.totallydubbed.net
Wait, I thought you were kidding. LOL What does R-release refer to?

Is yours REALLY a test model??

Yeah I got it pre-release and don't think it's fully updated yet lol. Need to check on this.

Thanks. Not exactly what I was expecting. I'm surprised 2G is there and I'm surprised it has 4G instead of LTE.

My Pixel 2 XL has LTE and 3G so I was expecting 5G, LTE and 3G. Either way it does appear that I'll be able to disable 5G which is what I was really looking for. :good:

Indeed, you can disable it! :)

seshaz

Jun 7, 2012
Tucson
Google Pixel 6
How much bright display is?
Can you force 90hz from developer settings?
How is haptics?
How is stereo speakers?
How slow it feels to flagship phones like Pixel 4 or Note 20 Ultra? Especially if someone is using 2020 flagship phones.
1st answer yes
Haptic is weak
Speaker is not great and not dual like the last year's and it's fast as any phone I've used in 2020 including note 20 ultra, S20 ultra, one plus 8, pixel 4A

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hate to necro this thread...but we need some insight on AVB on the Pixel 5.

As most of us know, root has been blessedly simple on the Pixel series up through Android 11.

However, Android 12 brought about some new challenges.

With the 12 Beta, users on the 4a5g, 5, and 5a discovered that to be able to boot a patched boot image from /boot, vbmeta must be reflashed with --disable-verity and --disable-verification. That seemed to be the only additional requirement. Otherwise, a patched image loading from /boot would result in the bootloader error "failed to load/verify boot images".

But, with the 12 stable release, we discovered that reflashing /vbmeta with the disable flags will cause the device to bootloop into recovery with an error message: "Can't load Android system. Your data may be corrupt". At this point the user has a choice:
* Wipe /data, but be able to successfully run permanent root
* Reflash /vbmeta and /boot back to stock, and either run unrooted or live boot a patched image from fastboot for temporary root

Again, this has been specific to Android 12 on the Pixel 4a5g, 5, and 5a, as well as the 6 series. Maybe it has something to do with Boot Header v4 introduced with Android 12?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Anonshe

Aug 11, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra

As most of us know, root has been blessedly simple on the Pixel series up through Android 11.

With the 12 Beta, users on the 4a5g, 5, and 5a discovered that to be able to boot a patched boot image from /boot, vbmeta must be reflashed with --disable-verity and --disable-verification. That seemed to be the only additional requirement. Otherwise, a patched image loading from /boot would result in the bootloader error "failed to load/verify boot images".

But, with the 12 stable release, we discovered that reflashing /vbmeta with the disable flags will cause the device to bootloop into recovery with an error message: "Can't load Android system. Your data may be corrupt". At this point the user has a choice:
* Reflash /vbmeta and /boot back to stock, and either run unrooted or live boot a patched image from fastboot for temporary root

Again, this has been specific to Android 12 on the Pixel 4a5g, 5, and 5a, as well as the 6 series. Maybe it has something to do with Boot Header v4 introduced with Android 12?

Any thoughts?

Even on Beta on redfin, one needed to do a data wipe the first time disabling vbmeta. It's a hard requirement as encryption is tied to verified boot. If you disable vbmeta but do not wipe, the device won't boot. There is no difference between the Beta and stable release for rooting method in that sense.

Reactions: V0latyle

winninh

May 31, 2018
Google Pixel 5
I'm hoping someone can help me. I installed the OTA Android 12 update last week. Ever since, apps are opening in the multitasking pane multiple times. E.g. If I have Facebook open, and if I click on a Facebook notification on the status bar, it opens the Facebook app again instead of just going to what the notification "points" to in the already open app. If I do this multiple times, the Facebook app is open that many times. I then have to clear all the open Facebook apps, or hit the Clear All to close them all. I've never encountered this in Android 11 or any previous version of Android.

Is there some setting I'm missing?

Thank you!
WinniNH

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Even on Beta on redfin, one needed to do a data wipe the first time disabling vbmeta. It's a hard requirement as encryption is tied to verified boot. If you disable vbmeta but do not wipe, the device won't boot. There is no difference between the Beta and stable release for rooting method in that sense.
So what about subsequent updates? If reflashing vbmeta was required when updating from beta to stable, I would assume that it would also be required for the monthly updates - and therefore a data wipe. Dm-verity and verification do not stay disabled if you reflash vbmeta without the flags. I wiped when I installed 12 beta 5, and I was unable to retain data when upgrading to stable. It's really going to suck if we have to wipe /data every time we update vbmeta.

Anonshe

Aug 11, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
So what about subsequent updates? If reflashing vbmeta was required when updating from beta to stable, I would assume that it would also be required for the monthly updates - and therefore a data wipe. Dm-verity and verification do not stay disabled if you reflash vbmeta without the flags. I wiped when I installed 12 beta 5, and I was unable to retain data when upgrading to stable. It's really going to suck if we have to wipe /data every time we update vbmeta.

For the monthly updates, you've to flash the OTA packages via recovery and boot into fastboot immediately to keep vbmeta disabled. Secure boot will then remain turned off, allowing a patched boot image to be booted/flashed.

I've tested this between the betas and stable version. My last test was from Beta 5 to stable where I flashed the OTA via recovery, rebooted to bootloader, ran the fastboot command, and rebooted device. As a result, no data was lost as a wipe wasn't required.

Reactions: V0latyle

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @TotallydubbedHD, why not share the apk, i don't think there is an exclusivity or major novelty in this apk can be the interface or theme.
    because the catches I saw are similar for me.

this is one of the last outing, test on OP8Pro
    https://streamable.com/1m33eb
    Because without approval I rather not do so. Respect the decision, thanks.
    I understand this is one of the things that is respectable and thanks, I will be patient

Any thoughts?

For the monthly updates, you've to flash the OTA packages via recovery and boot into fastboot immediately to keep vbmeta disabled. Secure boot will then remain turned off, allowing a patched boot image to be booted/flashed.

I've tested this between the betas and stable version. My last test was from Beta 5 to stable where I flashed the OTA via recovery, rebooted to bootloader, ran the fastboot command, and rebooted device. As a result, no data was lost as a wipe wasn't required.