I got the Google Pixel 5, what do you need to know?

Search This thread

Emu

Apr 5, 2013
Btw does the screen have a green tint at brightness lower than 15% with 90 Hz on?

Tyerlo

Nov 1, 2015
How's the screen on time comparing in 90hz mode and 60 hz mode, if you're keen to share the difference?

TotallydubbedHD

Dec 7, 2010
London
www.youtube.com
How's the screen on time comparing in 90hz mode and 60 hz mode, if you're keen to share the difference?
Literally started this test last night, doing another controlled battery test to see how it does. Can't share the results even when the phones die; as it's now under embargo lol.
Btw does the screen have a green tint at brightness lower than 15% with 90 Hz on?
I didn't notice anything like this, no.

SGH-i200

Aug 31, 2009
Sony Xperia XZ1
Google Pixel 2
The 3XL was very unbalanced even with both front firing due to the size of the speakers.
Yes, but I wrote Pixel 3 (regular size), which has a good stereo balance. The Pixel 5 has not.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Unboxing embargo is over
Yes, but the other embargos are still active. Supersaf told his unboxing that he us not allowed to upload a photo comparison.

Windkool

Oct 11, 2020
Hey guys, just wanted to know below, a reply from anyone would really be appreciated.
1. If I buy Google Pixel 5 and pixel 4a 5G outside of India, say order it from USA/Canada, will the divice will work in India ( Mobile carrier band compability).
2. If all mobile features will be available if this device have to be operated in India.( Except 5G).
3. If such device will get default / limited warrenty in India location too
4. If point 3 is no then, can we buy international product warrenty at the time of purchase and cost if it.

0815Gs

Aug 6, 2018
Why are there no reviews on the pixel 5 camera? The phone has launched but no one has ratings or reviews!
the second video of op about the 5 actually has a decent amount of camera / video footage. There was another pretty high quality video and image showcase on youtube but the person did delete and reupload the video without the camera footage, certainly because of the current embargo.

KobiP

Jun 22, 2007
Hey, HDMI would be also in my interest? Can I connect the phone to a TV / Monitor with a cable?
Cheers

KobiP

Jun 22, 2007
My Pixel 1 and Xiaomi MI9 Se had USB-C, but no HDMI Adapter worked. Not sure how your link helps.

Zorachus

Dec 15, 2010
Lombard, IL.
Curious to know, is the Pixel 5 display flat, as in iPhone 12 Pro flat, not even 2.5 slightly curved but totally flat like old school phones?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @TotallydubbedHD, why not share the apk, i don't think there is an exclusivity or major novelty in this apk can be the interface or theme.
    because the catches I saw are similar for me.

this is one of the last outing, test on OP8Pro
    https://streamable.com/1m33eb
    Because without approval I rather not do so. Respect the decision, thanks.
    I understand this is one of the things that is respectable and thanks, I will be patient
    Hate to necro this thread...but we need some insight on AVB on the Pixel 5.

As most of us know, root has been blessedly simple on the Pixel series up through Android 11.

However, Android 12 brought about some new challenges.

With the 12 Beta, users on the 4a5g, 5, and 5a discovered that to be able to boot a patched boot image from /boot, vbmeta must be reflashed with --disable-verity and --disable-verification. That seemed to be the only additional requirement. Otherwise, a patched image loading from /boot would result in the bootloader error "failed to load/verify boot images".

But, with the 12 stable release, we discovered that reflashing /vbmeta with the disable flags will cause the device to bootloop into recovery with an error message: "Can't load Android system. Your data may be corrupt". At this point the user has a choice:
    * Wipe /data, but be able to successfully run permanent root
    * Reflash /vbmeta and /boot back to stock, and either run unrooted or live boot a patched image from fastboot for temporary root

Again, this has been specific to Android 12 on the Pixel 4a5g, 5, and 5a, as well as the 6 series. Maybe it has something to do with Boot Header v4 introduced with Android 12?

Any thoughts?

Even on Beta on redfin, one needed to do a data wipe the first time disabling vbmeta. It's a hard requirement as encryption is tied to verified boot. If you disable vbmeta but do not wipe, the device won't boot. There is no difference between the Beta and stable release for rooting method in that sense.
    So what about subsequent updates? If reflashing vbmeta was required when updating from beta to stable, I would assume that it would also be required for the monthly updates - and therefore a data wipe. Dm-verity and verification do not stay disabled if you reflash vbmeta without the flags. I wiped when I installed 12 beta 5, and I was unable to retain data when upgrading to stable. It's really going to suck if we have to wipe /data every time we update vbmeta.

For the monthly updates, you've to flash the OTA packages via recovery and boot into fastboot immediately to keep vbmeta disabled. Secure boot will then remain turned off, allowing a patched boot image to be booted/flashed.

I've tested this between the betas and stable version. My last test was from Beta 5 to stable where I flashed the OTA via recovery, rebooted to bootloader, ran the fastboot command, and rebooted device. As a result, no data was lost as a wipe wasn't required.