I have a question on how to slow charge Pixel 4a

Search This thread

Ryan Diesel

• May 18, 2021
    Hey guys, I have a Pixel 4a too and would like to keep it for as long as it last. My last phone was iPhone SE 2016 that has lasted me a good 5 years. I have always charged it with the provided 1A charger and also with 0.5A PC charging. It has a total of 1700 charge cycles and 75% battery health. It still gives me around 3 hours and 30 minutes of screen-on time.

Now regarding Pixel 4a, I found that using the original charger it charges rapidly at 3A. It gets a little warm while just charging, which my previous phone didn't do unless I used it while charging. I know that heat is the enemy of battery so I would like to reduce it as much as possible. Charging the Pixel while switched off didn't help either, it still gets warm. So I used another charger from nokia that I got with nokia 6.1 plus, its rated at 5V 2A. Using this charger, the Pixel does not get warm. The phone draws 1.5A from the charger when I check it using AccuBattery app.

So my question is, will continuous use of this charger harm my Pixel 4a ? Is charging at 1.5A harmful for fast-charging phones like Pixel 4a ? I don't have much experience with Androids and none with fast-charging phones. I have always used iPhones for that last 10 years. This is my first android daily driver and I love it.

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    Hey guys, I have a Pixel 4a too and would like to keep it for as long as it last. My last phone was iPhone SE 2016 that has lasted me a good 5 years. I have always charged it with the provided 1A charger and also with 0.5A PC charging. It has a total of 1700 charge cycles and 75% battery health. It still gives me around 3 hours and 30 minutes of screen-on time.

Now regarding Pixel 4a, I found that using the original charger it charges rapidly at 3A. It gets a little warm while just charging, which my previous phone didn't do unless I used it while charging. I know that heat is the enemy of battery so I would like to reduce it as much as possible. Charging the Pixel while switched off didn't help either, it still gets warm. So I used another charger from nokia that I got with nokia 6.1 plus, its rated at 5V 2A. Using this charger, the Pixel does not get warm. The phone draws 1.5A from the charger when I check it using AccuBattery app.

So my question is, will continuous use of this charger harm my Pixel 4a ? Is charging at 1.5A harmful for fast-charging phones like Pixel 4a ? I don't have much experience with Androids and none with fast-charging phones. I have always used iPhones for that last 10 years. This is my first android daily driver and I love it.

Some heat is needed as it's an electrochemical reaction that requires a minimum temperature to work properly.
    Charging below 72°F can cause Li plating to occur.
    82°F is a better minimum start charging temperature threshold to avoid Li plating.
    I find that fast charging works best with a starting temperature of 85+F.
    Fast charging will not engage if the temperature is too low at the start of the charging cycle.

Reactions: Ryan Diesel

Ryan Diesel

• May 18, 2021
    Some heat is needed as it's an electrochemical reaction that requires a minimum temperature to work properly.
    Charging below 72°F can cause Li plating to occur.
    82°F is a better minimum start charging temperature threshold to avoid Li plating.
    I find that fast charging works best with a starting temperature of 85+F.
    Fast charging will not engage if the temperature is too low at the start of the charging cycle.
    Ok. My phone hovers around 84-86 degree at idle.

Ryan Diesel

• May 18, 2021
    That works. If you're not fast charging try to keep it around 82°F or above.

Don't go too nuts. At some point it's easier to replace the battery. Most phones aren't that hard.
    I know. With iPhones I used to replace my own batteries in the past. The thing is, I am from a remote north-east location in India, here we don't have Apple repair shops and Google doesn't have a single service center in India. eBay and AliExpress was my only source of buying smartphone batteries untill eBay India shut down and AliExpress was banned due to problems with China. Since then I have failed to find a good battery for my previous iPhone that's why I bought the Pixel 4a.

I even visited the nearby city(300 kms away) that has Apple authorized service center and they said since my iPhone SE is 5 years old, they don't have its battery anymore in stock. They only had iPhone 8 and newer.

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    I know. With iPhones I used to replace my own batteries in the past. The thing is, I am from a remote north-east location in India, here we don't have Apple repair shops and Google doesn't have a single service center in India. eBay and AliExpress was my only source of buying smartphone batteries untill eBay India shut down and AliExpress was banned due to problems with China. Since then I have failed to find a good battery for my previous iPhone that's why I bought the Pixel 4a.

I even visited the nearby city(300 kms away) that has Apple authorized service center and they said since my iPhone SE is 5 years old, they don't have its battery anymore in stock. They only had iPhone 8 and newer.
    No idea but there must be a vendor you can use.
    You don't have to do it this second but I would definitely keep an eye open for one.
    An Li can fail overnight as I recently learned. Once they swell jthey need replaced asap.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      @blackhawk
      but if someone who follows this 40-80 rule, how to reset battery stats?
      Can it be done using ADB command?
      @blackhawk
      but if someone who follows this 40-80 rule, how to reset battery stats?
      Can it be done using ADB command?
      I really don't use those stats at all. More Google hype that never proved all that useful for me.

I use Galaxy Labs Battery Tracker, the history log* of Accubattery as well as karma Firewall logs to track usage.
      Occasionally you may want to do a calibration too as the % accuracy will drift over time.

*as long as my usage stays at >10%@ hour SOT, I'm not very concerned
      I really don't use those stats at all. More Google hype that never proved all that useful for me.

I use Galaxy Labs Battery Tracker, the history log* of Accubattery as well as karma Firewall logs to track usage.
      Occasionally you may want to do a calibration too as the % accuracy will drift over time.

*as long as my usage stays at >10%@ hour SOT, I'm not very concerned
      and by calibration, do you mean drain to 0 and charge to 100 every once in a while?
      and by calibration, do you mean drain to 0 and charge to 100 every once in a while?
      Yeah, which I don't like doing. If falls way out of calibration you'll think you're at 20% when in fact you're at 7% for example.
      Many say to repeat the calibration cycle 2 or 3 times for it to take.

If the battery has failed this can be a dangerous procedure. How do I know? Just had a battery failure but because of the case didn't see the back cover bulging. All the while I was happily torturing the bad cell for over a month begging it to do its worse🤣
      I was fortunate it didn't damage the display of my Note 10+ or worse.
      If you encounter erratic fast charging, reduced battery capacity always suspect a battery failure and look for the telltale back cover bulge. These bag Li's can fail at any time especially as they get older.
      BTW, people who are reading this, you can charge your 4a at 7.5W (5V*1.5A) using OTG adapter plugged into the charger and a USB A-C cable. The temp. increase of battery is way less than full fast charge of 18W.