I have the 8.1 soak test, but want a custom ROM instead...

Search This thread

mrchman

Jul 20, 2017
So here's the deal, I had lost my LTE awhile back with something and saw the opportunity to fix it by taking the 8.1 soak OTA. Works wonderfully. But I do want to possibly go back a custom ROM, and have tried a few already that all work fine, except the lack of the fingerprint scanner working properly. This isn't really a big deal for now, but I'm starting a convo just to brainstorm.

Any ideas as to what's causing this, or possible solutions?

treyweez11

Jan 4, 2012
Atlanta
You may have to wait till the official hits the streets and the devs here tear it apart to bring that sensor up to date with the Bootloader I'm guessing. But hell, if you don't mind it. Dig in playa.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

mrchman

Jul 20, 2017
You may have to wait till the official hits the streets and the devs here tear it apart to bring that sensor up to date with the Bootloader I'm guessing. But hell, if you don't mind it. Dig in playa.

That's kinda what I'm thinking, which again, I'm not worried or in a hurry, just curious.

guineks

Nov 26, 2015
Would you think any of the current custom kernels here would do the job with a custom ROM?

Using custom roms, all of which I tested, all worked using the xposed framework material, and using the magisk module corresponding to the version of android used (8.0 - 8.1)
As for stock rom 8.1, I do not know compatible kernel, for version 7.1, there is custom kernel available, and you should proceed xposed in the same way.
sorry for my english from google translate

febin92

Oct 23, 2010
1>Take EFS backup from oreo soak test {with 4G and VOLTE working}
2>Flash Stock NPSS26.116-61-8 in full
3>Install TWRP and custom ROM
4>Restore EFS from oreo backup

This is working perfectly for me; fingerprint (incl gestures), VOLTE both work; I'm using AOSP Extended ROM

Reactions: mrchman

mrchman

Jul 20, 2017
Using custom roms, all of which I tested, all worked using the xposed framework material, and using the magisk module corresponding to the version of android used (8.0 - 8.1)
As for stock rom 8.1, I do not know compatible kernel, for version 7.1, there is custom kernel available, and you should proceed xposed in the same way.
sorry for my english from google translate

Yes, this is what I thought, but I tried several custom ROMs hoping for one to work like you say, and none did.

mrchman

Jul 20, 2017

This is working perfectly for me; fingerprint (incl gestures), VOLTE both work; I'm using AOSP Extended ROM

Perfect! I do have a question, how can I move my twrp backup to my desktop or so, and move it back to the phone after the firmware flash so I can restore my efs?

I tried something like that before and my backup was corrupted or unrecognizable.

febin92

Oct 23, 2010
Perfect! I do have a question, how can I move my twrp backup to my desktop or so, and move it back to the phone after the firmware flash so I can restore my efs?

I tried something like that before and my backup was corrupted or unrecognizable.

Just copy the entire TWRP folder from sdcard/internal memory

arni664

Oct 22, 2015

It's safe to flash nougat bootloader image to oreo soak 8.1 bootloader (downgrade)?

Last edited:

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
I was wondering this same thing, it doesn't give some kind of error message when downgrading?

Hmm, flashing the April 2018 7.1.1 firmware should give a security version downgrade if you've downgraded to Nougat from Oreo (though like yourself, I await some confirmation).

If you do see that error, I would advise against flashing or installing the June 2018 7.1.1 security update OTA, I do not know if flashing the 7.1.1 June 2018 OTA onto a device previously updated with the Oreo soak test would result in a hard brick (as the June 2018 OTA may or may not corrupt the Oreo bootloader). Be careful.

mrchman

Jul 20, 2017
So if I were to attempt to flash it via fastboot, it would give me an error and ask for confirmation before proceeding, correct?

And if I see said error, stay away.

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
So if I were to attempt to flash it via fastboot, it would give me an error and ask for confirmation before proceeding, correct?

If you flash a stock firmware, you'll see the error, but it won't ask you for confirmation. It'll just display 'security version downgrade' if your bootloader is actually newer than the firmware you're flashing. Thus, fastboot should block you from downgrading the bootloader and GPT, so you'd likely still have the Oreo bootloader on your device (unless something's changed with Motorola's enforcement of bootloader versions).

The only time you may be okay is if the subsequent OTA is the same as the newest firmware that you had on your device. E.g. if you applied the soak test OTA (OPS28.49-2), then downgraded to the April 2018 firmware, if the next OTA you use is OPS28.49-2 or a newer Oreo OTA (as you have an Oreo bootloader), then you should be okay. If you however get a Nougat OTA (like the June 2018 security patch), I'd honestly stay away unless you want to risk it. Again, I do not know if the June 2018 7.1.1 would brick your device, but you've got no way of recovering your device besides paying for an expensive motherboard replacement. If you're on the soak test, try to stay on the soak test please.

Reactions: mrchman

treyweez11

Jan 4, 2012
Atlanta

Question. I've restored efs before after downgrading and it's worked. I would flash the custom rom of choice and if finger print and volte didn't work I would go back and restore efs from soaktest. I'm returning from soaktest again and that method doesn't seem to work. My question is, do you restore efs before you flash custom rom or do you wait till after the rom has flashed and reboot to check first?

Sent from my XT1806 using Tapatalk

NVM clearly I can't read cause you put it all there. Thanks

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you flash a stock firmware, you'll see the error, but it won't ask you for confirmation. It'll just display 'security version downgrade' if your bootloader is actually newer than the firmware you're flashing. Thus, fastboot should block you from downgrading the bootloader and GPT, so you'd likely still have the Oreo bootloader on your device (unless something's changed with Motorola's enforcement of bootloader versions).

The only time you may be okay is if the subsequent OTA is the same as the newest firmware that you had on your device. E.g. if you applied the soak test OTA (OPS28.49-2), then downgraded to the April 2018 firmware, if the next OTA you use is OPS28.49-2 or a newer Oreo OTA (as you have an Oreo bootloader), then you should be okay. If you however get a Nougat OTA (like the June 2018 security patch), I'd honestly stay away unless you want to risk it. Again, I do not know if the June 2018 7.1.1 would brick your device, but you've got no way of recovering your device besides paying for an expensive motherboard replacement. If you're on the soak test, try to stay on the soak test please.