General I hope it doesn't have a curved screen

Search This thread

spevil07

Mar 16, 2012
OnePlus 10 Pro
Yeah but OnePlus keeps screwing up the software and there isn't even an MSM Tool for the 10 Pro so if you brick it, which seems to be way too easy to do on OnePlus devices (I have done it multiple times on my 9 despite doing everything right when trying to flash a custom ROM and would have been in a situation if the MSM Tool wasn't available), you are screwed.

Additionally, they have been throttling CPU performance. My Geekbench single core score on the latest OOS 12 is around 800 which makes my 888 slower than the 865. They changed the way they do the throttle as well, it can no longer be disabled with a Magisk tweak. OnePlus' answer to all of us who are complaining about how unresponsive the browser and other operations can be? Toggle high performance mode to force the phone to use high clocks all the time, even when idle, at the cost of much higher power consumption and heat than if they just left the processor alone to begin with. They haven't released OOS12 kernel source that's usable either so no custom kernel around to fix it unless you flash to a custom ROM.

So yeah, I feel like I'm being forced to go back to iOS. At least Apple listens to feedback and fixes bugs, OnePlus doesn't even seem to care about that anymore, and Apple doesn't throttle their SoCs, has prompt updates (OnePlus has been giving India updates first and has been leaving EU and global a month behind and we were already multiple months behind China), and has incredible battery life without having to disable basically every premium feature in the phone.

And yeah, Samsung is a no go for me since the Note 5. Swore that would be my last Samsung and as long as they encrypt the bootloader on Snapdragon variants, I will stick to that.

I guess I better start saving for that 14 Pro Max......
I have the 10 pro too but with all that bad things I'll think to switch to Pixel 7 pro when it's out.
No sources so no kernel/Rom, no msm, no gcam because blocked access to all lenses...
That are all really big deal breakers

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I have the 10 pro too but with all that bad things I'll think to switch to Pixel 7 pro when it's out.
No sources so no kernel/Rom, no msm, no gcam because blocked access to all lenses...
That are all really big deal breakers
I just can't deal with the Samsung modems or I would go Pixel too. I'll keep my 9 and if it lasts until the Pixel 8 next year, maybe I'll jump on it then, but I'm really leery about the battery and radio performance between the two X1 cores and the inferior modem.

zymphad

Jul 17, 2013
OnePlus 9
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Appears the curve is minimal on the 7 Pro. It's less ****ty than Pixel 6 Pro.

Why they did this is confusing though. Biggest complaints for P6 was fingerprint, battery, modem and curved display. You would think for Pixel 7 Pro, those are the issues they would definitely fix. But it sounds like another ****ty modem, curved display and ****ty fingerprint and battery is even worse on Android 13.

Really confusing me.

Reactions: EtherealRemnant

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
From looking at the marketing slides, it seems that the curve has just so ever slightly decreased, but it's still there. Once my P7 Pro arrives, I will compare it to a P6 Pro and report here if there are changed to the degree of curvature.

But as galaxys already mentioned, the phone definitely still has curved sides.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
$790 trade in for my old 12 Pro Max plus $200 in Best Buy gift cards. They're literally paying me to take the phone.
The magnificent pre-order bonus in Europe (429 € Pixel Watch LTE free when getting a P7 Pro) makes me think that Google is actually willing to lose money, in order to acquire more customers. Coupled with the 10% cashback via Google One in the Google Store, that offer is ridiculously good for Europeans, especially when you consider trade-in on top of that.

It seems that Google is finally willing to commit to the Pixel lineup.

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
Google Pixel 7 Pro
The magnificent pre-order bonus in Europe (429 € Pixel Watch LTE free when getting a P7 Pro) makes me think that Google is actually willing to lose money, in order to acquire more customers. Coupled with the 10% cashback via Google One in the Google Store, that offer is ridiculously good for Europeans, especially when you consider trade-in on top of that.
Yeah they definitely are trying to capture more marketshare. Apple themselves are only offering $530 for my 12 Pro Max and Google is offering $650 so while Best Buy ended up being the best deal (and no dealing with shipping my phone and possibly having to sort out some nonsense), they're definitely trying to expand. Hopefully this means they're more confident in the modem this time around. 🤞

Linuxkek

May 29, 2019

Loosing what? Here in EU we know about the trash Exynos SoC and you face it with the Pixel 6 (Pro) already. Its a old Exynos rebranded as Tensor G2 with Exynos Modem.
899€ for 128GB is not cheap and nobody would pay 429€ for a Google Watch.

Superguy

Nov 28, 2007
Baltimore
Loosing what? Here in EU we know about the trash Exynos SoC and you face it with the Pixel 6 (Pro) already. Its a old Exynos rebranded as Tensor G2 with Exynos Modem.
899€ for 128GB is not cheap and nobody would pay 429€ for a Google Watch.
I'm to the point that as long as the phone's responsive and has good reception, I don't care that much about performance anymore. Truth be told, for what I do, I don't notice much difference at all between my OP 7 Pro vs my 9. Ok, so it COULD be faster with a Snapdragon, but am I really missing out on much if it opens a web page .25s quicker or takes a second or two longer to do something intensive?

Reactions: jaseman

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I'm to the point that as long as the phone's responsive and has good reception, I don't care that much about performance anymore. Truth be told, for what I do, I don't notice much difference at all between my OP 7 Pro vs my 9. Ok, so it COULD be faster with a Snapdragon, but am I really missing out on much if it opens a web page .25s quicker or takes a second or two longer to do something intensive?
This is the point I'm at too although I will say that OnePlus' throttling of the 9 is extremely noticeable in the browser, especially on sites that use Disqus. I'm hoping that's not an issue with the 7 Pro.

Linuxkek

May 29, 2019
You never use a Exynos device, thats why you can not understand the big problems we got here with Samsung devices.

Mate 20X -92 dBm
Mi10 -108 dBm
S21+ 2G or no data 4G

Over Wifi 6-8h SOT and 4G never 4h SOT (modem trash)

I dont talk about speed or henchmarks, Im good even with 778G but radio is trasg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I really want to go back to a Pixel but I can't do the curved screens. I'm one of those people who actually puts his phones in a case and they don't work well with curved screens.

EDIT 10/6: Pre-ordered 7 Pro. The trade in for my 12 Pro Max with Best Buy was just too good to pass up, essentially makes the phone free once I find something to use the gift card for.
    If you don't want a curved screen you can go for Pixel 7 instead of Pro. It has a flat screen!
    It's rumored to have a 6.2" screen which is too small.

I guess Google doesn't want my business so I'll stick with OnePlus.
    $790 trade in for my old 12 Pro Max plus $200 in Best Buy gift cards. They're literally paying me to take the phone.

One Plus seems to be putting out some good models. Google is more screwed up than Samsung and Sammy's pretty screwed up nowadays.
    Yeah but OnePlus keeps screwing up the software and there isn't even an MSM Tool for the 10 Pro so if you brick it, which seems to be way too easy to do on OnePlus devices (I have done it multiple times on my 9 despite doing everything right when trying to flash a custom ROM and would have been in a situation if the MSM Tool wasn't available), you are screwed.

Additionally, they have been throttling CPU performance. My Geekbench single core score on the latest OOS 12 is around 800 which makes my 888 slower than the 865. They changed the way they do the throttle as well, it can no longer be disabled with a Magisk tweak. OnePlus' answer to all of us who are complaining about how unresponsive the browser and other operations can be? Toggle high performance mode to force the phone to use high clocks all the time, even when idle, at the cost of much higher power consumption and heat than if they just left the processor alone to begin with. They haven't released OOS12 kernel source that's usable either so no custom kernel around to fix it unless you flash to a custom ROM.

So yeah, I feel like I'm being forced to go back to iOS. At least Apple listens to feedback and fixes bugs, OnePlus doesn't even seem to care about that anymore, and Apple doesn't throttle their SoCs, has prompt updates (OnePlus has been giving India updates first and has been leaving EU and global a month behind and we were already multiple months behind China), and has incredible battery life without having to disable basically every premium feature in the phone.

And yeah, Samsung is a no go for me since the Note 5. Swore that would be my last Samsung and as long as they encrypt the bootloader on Snapdragon variants, I will stick to that.

I guess I better start saving for that 14 Pro Max......