I may have solved the famous battery problem on Nook & Nook Touch!

Search This thread

gsms

Sep 6, 2014
You may be onto something there.
I certainly believe that the problems are related to not fully going into sleep mode.
I have caught the Nook many times that it was supposed to be sleeping and the touch screen was still running.

I always used the power button when I'm done, I had the screen timeout set on one hour.
I just set my screen timeout to 10 seconds to play with this.
I couldn't get the Nook to act up with the power button shutdown.

To set your screen timeout to a arbitrary value (time in milliseconds):
Code:
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db

sqlite3 settings.db
update system set value=10000 where name='screen_off_timeout';
.q

adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

I set the screen timeout to 10 000 (=10sec.), but using NomadReader it just dont work!
This reader turns the screen off in 2 minutes...?, which was the last setting before modification...
The same happened with CoolReader. The new setting isn't active for these both apps...?
What do u think of this ?

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
The first thing to check is if the screen times out by itself at the correct time when you aren't running a reader.
I'm not familiar with either of those two readers, but they might have:
  • android:keepScreenOn="true" in AndroidManifest.xml
  • getWindow().addFlags(WindowManager.LayoutParams.FLAG_KEEP_SCREEN_ON); in the Java code
In either of these cases, you could use apktool to take apart and reassemble the .apk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You may be onto something there.
    I certainly believe that the problems are related to not fully going into sleep mode.
    I have caught the Nook many times that it was supposed to be sleeping and the touch screen was still running.

I always used the power button when I'm done, I had the screen timeout set on one hour.
    I just set my screen timeout to 10 seconds to play with this.
    I couldn't get the Nook to act up with the power button shutdown.

To set your screen timeout to a arbitrary value (time in milliseconds):
    Code:
    adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db

sqlite3 settings.db
    update system set value=10000 where name='screen_off_timeout';
    .q

adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
    Does Deep Sleep Battery Saver help with the power-button not sleeping properly?

It performs several functions:

1. Supposedly automatically puts the device into sleep mode whenever the screen turns off (if you configure it properly).

2. Functions as a task killer, with a whitelist, to clear out buggy apps.

3. The Whitelist allows you to prevent useful apps from being killed.

I still use the power button to put the NST to sleep. Last night it drained about 7% overnight, although I leave WiFi on and read RSS feeds for an hour before putting it down. Also, DSBS is configured to wake up the device every four hours.

The battery drain is due to some BN apps and Android System apps, mainly. I use the last version of "SystemApp Remover" for disabling apps (eg:AFfileDownloadService.apk,AccountAndSyncSettin gs.apk, BnAuthenticationService.apk, BnCloudRequestSvc.apk, DemoMode.apk, DeviceManager.apk, DeviceRegistrator.apk, Music.apk, NookCommunity.apk, Phone.apk, QuickStartActivity.apk, Shop.apk, Social.apk ,TelephonyProvider.apk, WaveformDownloader.apk).