• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

I modded a wireless pad with magnets to create a magnetic wireless charging dock

Search This thread

ranova

Jul 19, 2010
I always loved the idea of snap on wireless charging of the Palm Pixi, so when I bought the S7 Edge, I wanted to have a similar effect.

I modded CHOETECH Fast Charging Area Qi Wireless Charging Pad with some 1/2 x 1/8 Inch Neodymium Rare Earth Disc Magnets and added some 15/8 x 1/32 in N52 Neodymium Magnets in between the case (you will likely need a TPU flexible case since hard ones will be tough to conform around the magnets) and the phone. I now have a magnetic FAST wireless charger for my car where I just need to snap in my phone and it charges. I, unfortunately, sometimes go over bumps on the highway at 80+mph and have not had the phone move a bit.

This should work with ANY compatible phone with wireless charging.

The entire process is easy, here's a quick video I made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAoC0CrEuMw
Not mentioned or shown in the video is my supergluing the magnets into the case and the into the charger so they do not move.
Edit: Tip from Milimbar, put tape over the magnets so it doesnt scratch the glass

I'm using a Kenu Airframe+ vent mount and a piece of plastic in between the the wireless charging pad and the kenu.

Overall, this is not a cheap mod/car dock. You could get the cheaper, non-fast charging wireless pad, split magnets with someone, and get a cheaper vent mount.
Fast Wireless Charging pad: $35
Kenu Airframe: $30
Magnets: $13 and $12
Total: $90

Edit: the only reason why I had used the 1/2 x 1/8 magnets is because I had spares from a previous purchase. JaredC01 makes a great point that you can combine a few of the 5/8 x 1/31 magnets together to form a stronger magnet.
Cheaper option:
Non-fast Wireless Charging Pad: $26
50 count 15 x 1mm 5/8 x 1/32 in N52 Strong Disc Rare Earth Neodymium: $12 (oos at the moment)
Wizgear vent mount: $10
Total: $48

Some images of the mod:
http://imgur.com/gallery/WUj4r

Quick gif of it in action, in the car:
http://i.imgur.com/6ClCxUJ.gifv

Issues:
If there is a magnet at the bottom right of the phone (while facing the back of the phone), auto-brightness and the lights of the capacitive buttons will NOT work due to the smart case sensors. Just go ahead and remove the magnet from that position from the case and the charging pad. The 3 magnet positions will still be more than enough to hold the phone up.

Last edited:

_Dennis_

I always loved the idea of snap on wireless charging of the Palm Pixi, so when I bought the S7 Edge, I wanted to have a similar effect.

I modded CHOETECH Fast Charging Area Qi Wireless Charging Pad with some 1/2 x 1/8 Inch Neodymium Rare Earth Disc Magnets and added some 15 x 1mm 5/8 x 1/32 in N52 Neodymium Magnets in between the case (you will likely need a TPU flexible case since hard ones will be tough to conform around the magnets) and the phone. I now have a magnetic FAST wireless charger for my car where I just need to snap in my phone and it charges.

Not mentioned or shown in the video is my supergluing the magnets into the case and the into the charger so they do not move.

I'm using a Kenu Airframe+ and a piece of plastic to hold the wireless charging pad in place on the vent mount

Some images of the mod:
http://imgur.com/a/WUj4r
Another poster said his S7 edge held onto a magnetic stand in his car. Does this work without your magnetic case? Only tea on I as is I want to mod my car charger to be wireless charging with magnets holding the phone vice the squeeze system it uses, and not having to worry about a case would be cool? Though I'm sure I'll eventually find a case I like and can mod it with the magnets.

Sent from my E6683 using Tapatalk

Milimbar

Jul 19, 2011
Looks nice, you know what they say about necessity right....

I would put at least a piece of tape or screen protector over the magnets so they are not in direct contact with the glass.

ranova

Jul 19, 2010
Another poster said his S7 edge held onto a magnetic stand in his car. Does this work without your magnetic case? Only tea on I as is I want to mod my car charger to be wireless charging with magnets holding the phone vice the squeeze system it uses, and not having to worry about a case would be cool? Though I'm sure I'll eventually find a case I like and can mod it with the magnets.

I'll have to test later but it probably does because of the wireless charging coils inside the phone. If this were the case, it would not charge since there cannot be metal or magnets inbetween the coils

_Dennis_

I'll have to test later but it probably does because of the wireless charging coils inside the phone. If this were the case, it would not charge since there cannot be metal or magnets inbetween the coils
True, I was hoping it was the metal frame but it's probably the coil :(

Either way in doing this when I get hone a the end of the month and have my phone in hand :).

JaredC01

May 27, 2008
St. Louis
Awesome idea, though for the magnets couldn't you have just used all of the smaller magnets and added additional magnets to the base side (stacking them like coins) for a stronger field?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

bamtan2

Mar 15, 2012
Good post! Thin metal disks could be enough for your phone. To save money, retail packaging uses a magnet on only one side of the connection.

zathus

Aug 25, 2009
I've made about 4 of my own charging docks. I played with magnets for a while but what I really love is micro suction foam. Stuff is amazing and works on any case or phone with a smooth surface. Here's what I made for my car. I took a standard wireless charger. Encased in epoxy. Then cut it into a square. Wrapped in aluminum and put microsection foam on the face.

Attachments

• 1457277094680.jpg
    1457277094680.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 3,795
  • 1457277107437.jpg
    1457277107437.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 3,804

ranova

Jul 19, 2010
I've made about 4 of my own charging docks. I played with magnets for a while but what I really love is micro suction foam. Stuff is amazing and works on any case or phone with a smooth surface. Here's what I made for my car. I took a standard wireless charger. Encased in epoxy. Then cut it into a square. Wrapped in aluminum and put microsection foam on the face.

Thats a great idea. Is there a specific microfoam that you buy? Care to link the items you purchased? I might play around with that as well.

Do you have to clean the microfoam from time to time otherwise it loses its grip?

ranova

Jul 19, 2010
With the magnet case on my phone, I noticed that auto-brightness does not work and the capacitive buttons at the bottom never light up. Both are negligible for me but I can see the auto brightness thing being an issue for some. I have NO idea why these two things dont work. Right when I remove the case, they work fine.

Clarkkent434

Nov 20, 2010
Metropolis
droid-nation.com
Thats a great idea. Is there a specific microfoam that you buy? Care to link the items you purchased? I might play around with that as well.

Do you have to clean the microfoam from time to time otherwise it loses its grip?
I have used this stuff before. http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Direct-AirStick-Microsuction-250mmx300mm/dp/B00ITX9OU2. If the suction starts to wear off just wipe it off with a damp cloth and let it dry and you are good to go.

I would also like to hear about the results on using magnetics for the back are need or not due to the metal body. You should try it with the case and no magnetics and with our the case too.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

ranova

Jul 19, 2010
I have used this stuff before. http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Direct-AirStick-Microsuction-250mmx300mm/dp/B00ITX9OU2. If the suction starts to wear off just wipe it off with a damp cloth and let it dry and you are good to go.

I would also like to hear about the results on using magnetics for the back are need or not due to the metal body. You should try it with the case and no magnetics and with our the case too.

So I tested points on the phone where it is magnetic:
http://i.imgur.com/t7hFvOU.jpg

However, other than the center, these arent really strong pulls. If you use the center as a magnetic spot, wireless charging will not work because that is where the coil is.

I also found out that if theres a magnet at the bottom right (while facing the back of the phone), auto-brightness and the lights on the capacitive buttons will not work. Bizarre. I just removed that magnet from the case and all is well again.

techdog88

Jan 6, 2016
Awesome idea! You made a unique fast wireless car charger! This Choetech fast wireless charging pad must be the best option to make this kind of fast wireless car charger. It is long and wide enough with 3 coils to keep steady charging with your car mount.

ahrion

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Jul 19, 2013
Why don't you just use the circular stock Samsung fast charger or the other CHOE one?

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

I'm not a storage expert but according to my knowledge about memory, we always had a strict no magnets rule.

That's with analog hard drives. All phones more feature digital flash memory.

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

I would use the AirDock's Long Flexible Mount + CHOE Square Fast Qi Charger + Wizgear's mount piece (to makeshift attach the mounting piece to the back of the CHOE charger for use with AirDock) + the magnets OP mentions + cut nano suction for the top.

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

With the magnet case on my phone, I noticed that auto-brightness does not work and the capacitive buttons at the bottom never light up. Both are negligible for me but I can see the auto brightness thing being an issue for some. I have NO idea why these two things dont work. Right when I remove the case, they work fine.

I'm sure that's fine because I'd hate auto brightness to screw with me in the daytime.

Reactions: h3ck

_Dennis_

I also found out that if theres a magnet at the bottom right (while facing the back of the phone), auto-brightness and the lights on the capacitive buttons will not work. Bizarre. I just removed that magnet from the case and all is well again.

Probably the hall sensor (for the smart window case.)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I modded CHOETECH Fast Charging Area Qi Wireless Charging Pad with some 1/2 x 1/8 Inch Neodymium Rare Earth Disc Magnets and added some 15/8 x 1/32 in N52 Neodymium Magnets in between the case (you will likely need a TPU flexible case since hard ones will be tough to conform around the magnets) and the phone. I now have a magnetic FAST wireless charger for my car where I just need to snap in my phone and it charges. I, unfortunately, sometimes go over bumps on the highway at 80+mph and have not had the phone move a bit.

Edit: Tip from Milimbar, put tape over the magnets so it doesnt scratch the glass

I'm using a Kenu Airframe+ vent mount and a piece of plastic in between the the wireless charging pad and the kenu.

Overall, this is not a cheap mod/car dock. You could get the cheaper, non-fast charging wireless pad, split magnets with someone, and get a cheaper vent mount.
    Fast Wireless Charging pad: $35
    Kenu Airframe: $30
    Magnets: $13 and $12
    Total: $90

Edit: the only reason why I had used the 1/2 x 1/8 magnets is because I had spares from a previous purchase. JaredC01 makes a great point that you can combine a few of the 5/8 x 1/31 magnets together to form a stronger magnet.
    Cheaper option:
    Non-fast Wireless Charging Pad: $26
    50 count 15 x 1mm 5/8 x 1/32 in N52 Strong Disc Rare Earth Neodymium: $12 (oos at the moment)
    Wizgear vent mount: $10
    Total: $48

Some images of the mod:
    http://imgur.com/gallery/WUj4r

Quick gif of it in action, in the car:
    http://i.imgur.com/6ClCxUJ.gifv

Issues:
    If there is a magnet at the bottom right of the phone (while facing the back of the phone), auto-brightness and the lights of the capacitive buttons will NOT work due to the smart case sensors. Just go ahead and remove the magnet from that position from the case and the charging pad. The 3 magnet positions will still be more than enough to hold the phone up.
    I extended this build a little built by integrating this idea into a 3D printed in dash charger. I documented it here. And here is the final product:

uLiQfdQ.jpg

So I tested points on the phone where it is magnetic:
    http://i.imgur.com/t7hFvOU.jpg

However, other than the center, these arent really strong pulls. If you use the center as a magnetic spot, wireless charging will not work because that is where the coil is.

OK, remaining parts (charger plug and micro-suction paper) arrived tonight and I put everything together and it works perfectly!

Charger plug: Aukey CC-T6 36W 2 Port USB Car Charger with 3.3ft Micro USB Cable Compatible with Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 - Black.

Micro suction paper: Sewell micro suction paper

I used a simple cigarette plug splitter I already had at home that has two receptacles for chargers - one is used by the Aukey above, and the other by the plug for my Bluetooth unit that feeds my head-unit so I have BT voice/music (older head unit only does BT voice).

Then I have the Choetech Fast charge unit, of course, plugged into the Aukey. I used a ~ 2x2 square of the micro-suction tape to attach the Choetech fast charge unit to the Ram mount. Then when I insert the phone into the Ram mount the Choetech connects promptly and the phone reports fast charging is engaged. Bingo!

Nice part is Ram mount holds the Choetech unit when the phone is removed, so the suction tape only has to hold the Choetech charger for a few moments while I'm inserting/removing the phone from the holder. I don't find the micro-suction tape to be as amazing as I'd hoped...it's kind of cool.

Very happy overall with how this worked out. Thanks to all the great ideas here, couldn't have done it w/out you guys.
    Will be remaking the video and thread when I get my S8!

Good job on the mods, guys