I need help rooting my zte quest 5

Search This thread

TexasPride

Jun 3, 2018
Ok so i got a zte quest 5 (z3351s) though qlink. Not the phone i wanted but it was one i could afford. And it works very well just can't run amazon music and other apps at the same time.

But the bloatware is unreal. Used to in my galaxy s3&s4 days i could root and delete all apps i didn't need. I know i can disable them but i want them gone completely.

Majisk didnt work
Kingoroot same even used pc.

I am hoping someone knows of a way i can root this phone or at least delete all the un needed apps for example i have Google maps go (came stock) i put the org google maps which is better plus offers sat view.

Edit i did some math and converting and the useless apps 11 out of 58 come out to 349.72mb which is a lot if your phone only has 16gb of space. Also note i don't have hardly anything.

Worst case i can Hotspot to my note10+ for multitasking but not sure of data limit.

Last edited:

vp1117

Jan 30, 2019
@TexasPride

a phone's Android can get considered "rooted" as soon as in Android the SU-binary is present. Hence you at any time at your own can install the appropriate SU-binary onto your phone's Android by means of ADB.
Are you sure it will always work?

I tried this method of installing supersu: https://github.com/spff/install-supersu-via-adb

As a result, I got my phone eternally showing the boot logo and not booting.

Not a problem to re-flash stock ROM but it is an example that there in no universal way to install SU (or SuperSU) via adb.

If you could give a link to some other method how SU could be installed, I'll give it a try of course.

jwoegerbauer

• Jul 11, 2009
    European Union
    Are you sure it will always work?

I tried this method of installing supersu: https://github.com/spff/install-supersu-via-adb

As a result, I got my phone eternally showing the boot logo and not booting.

Not a problem to re-flash stock ROM but it is an example that there in no universal way to install SU (or SuperSU) via adb.

If you could give a link to some other method how SU could be installed, I'll give it a try of course.
    I spoke of SU-binary and NOT of SuperSU installer package
    Example:
    Code:
    adb devices
    adb push <location-of-matching-su-binary-on-computer> /sdcard/Downloads/ 2>nul
    adb shell "chmod 0777 /sdcard/Downloads/su"

Of course you can install SuperSU package by means of ADB and this even when device is booted into Stock Recovery: but this requires to make some mods to SuperSU zip.

vp1117

Jan 30, 2019

TexasPride, sorry I stepped in your thread.​

I spoke of SU-binary and NOT of SuperSU installer package
    I see. It is often mixed in numerous materials one can find in the net. Subject is SU-binary update, but the ultimate goal is to install supersu.

Example:
    Code:
    adb devices
    adb push <location-of-matching-su-binary-on-computer> /sdcard/Downloads/ 2>nul
    adb shell "chmod 0777 /sdcard/Downloads/su"
    What should be result of running this code? SU-binary located in Downloads with 777 permission? What is the practical sense/use of it?
    What software/application would use SU in that location?
    Sorry for my questions. I'm not arguing. I try to understand the idea.

Of course you can install SuperSU package by means of ADB and this even when device is booted into Stock Recovery: but this requires to make some mods to SuperSU zip.
    Somehow, with my almost zero knowledge of edify and linux command line I got the same conclusion: SuperSU zip has to be modified in order to install it via adb on devices that do not have TWRP for sideload. I failed to find any examples of SuperSU modding...

Last edited:

jwoegerbauer

• Jul 11, 2009
    European Union
    @vp1117

Answering your questions from last to first:

1. Installing SuperSU.zip via ADB
      The SuperSU.zip doesn't come with an EDIFY coded script, but with an Android SHELL script - everyone who has knowledge of LINUX scripting can read / modify it.
      Android comes with TAR-binary, but not ZIP-binary. Hence the SuperSu.zip must get repacked into SuperSU.tar thus it can get extracted on Phone. The contents of such a TAR-file would look as shown here
      SU-installer.png
    2. Making use of SU-binary
      The SU-binary ( ~110KB ) is nothing else then the root user, as known from LINUX.
      Running in Android via ADB a command that requires super-user ( root ) rights is done as follows

Example:
      Code:
      adb devices
      adb shell "/sdard/Downloads/su -c '<ommand-that-requires-root-here>'"

Last edited:

vp1117

Jan 30, 2019
    Answering your questions from last to first:

1. Installing SuperSU.zip via ADB
      The SuperSU.zip doesn't come with an EDIFY coded script, but with an Android SHELL script - everyone who has knowledge of LINUX scripting can read / modify it.
      Android comes with TAR-binary, but not ZIP-binary. Hence the SuperSu.zip must get repacked into SuperSU.tar thus it can get extracted on Phone. The contents of such a TAR-file would look as shown here
      SU-installer.png

OK. I guess, I can repack zip to tar.
    Sorry for my silly question but why should I need to keep superSU as an archive? Could not I just upload all folders + update-binary.sh to the phone? I'm sure I can do it.
    Am I right my next step would be running update-binary.sh (~60 KB) from <adb shell> command line?

1. Making use of SU-binary
      The SU-binary ( ~110KB ) is nothing else then the root user, as known from LINUX.
      Running in Android via ADB a command that requires super-user ( root ) rights is done as follows

Example:
      Code:
      adb devices
      adb shell "/sdard/Downloads/su -c '<ommand-that-requires-root-here>'"
    Interestingly, I can execute all commands I need without having su-binary (~100 KB) uploaded to my phone. It is strange but I see #-prompt after I ran <adb shell>. This happens on my UNrooted phone, running stock ROM. I guess, it's a specifics of my phone, no need to try explain it.

jwoegerbauer

• Jul 11, 2009
    European Union
    Sorry for my silly question but why should I need to keep superSU as an archive? Could not I just upload all folders + update-binary.sh to the phone? I'm sure I can do it.
    Am I right my next step would be running update-binary.sh (~60 KB) from <adb shell> command line?
    Of course it's your decision how you transfer the SuperSU package onto phone: many ways lead to Rome. :)

My decision was to push SuperSU package repacked as TAR-file onto phone, extract it there, and finally run the modified update-binary.sh when phone is booted into recovery mode:

Code:
    adb shell "$(cat < %supersu_dir%/update-binary.sh); echo $?"

vp1117

Jan 30, 2019
    So I rebooted to stock recovery and then uploaded following from UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.82-20170528234214.zip package to my phone's folder /tmp:

/arm64
    /common
    /META-INF
    update-binary.sh

Here is what I got:

Z:\android\adb>adb shell "$(cat < /tmp/update-binary.sh); echo $?"
    /system/bin/sh: #!/sbin/sh: not found

And here's what I got running same command from # command line:

# $(cat < /tmp/update-binary.sh); echo $?
    /system/bin/sh: #!/sbin/sh: not found

In response to # ls -al /sbin I get lots of lines one of them is as follows:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 1970-01-01 00:00 sh -> busybox

I feel that I'm doing something wrong, but what exactly?

In attached txt-file I put some more details I got in command line.

Attachments

• supersu_via_adb.txt
      2.5 KB · Views: 1
    Last edited:

jwoegerbauer

• Jul 11, 2009
    European Union
    @vp1117

NO.

When I said modified then I didn't mean simply rename it: The contents of original update-binary file must be rewritten / deleted in some parts. Also, believe me, it makes sense to repack original SuperSU.zip to SuperSu.tar as I demonstrated above. Take also note that, if device's Android isn't rooted yet, the location for unpacked SuperSU mandatory must be /data/local/tmp.

BTW:
    I can see BusyBox is installed on your device's Android. Take note that BusyBox by default comes with the SU-binary. Hence your device's Android is rooted! Wondering why you waste your time with trying to completely install SuperSU from scratch?

vp1117

Jan 30, 2019
    Wondering why you waste your time with trying to completely install SuperSU from scratch?
    Good question.
    Probably, because I see this when phone restarts from recovery to normal android:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-05-15-16-05-24[1].png
      Screenshot_2021-05-15-16-05-24[1].png
      62.7 KB · Views: 9
    • Screenshot_2021-05-15-16-22-11[1].png
      Screenshot_2021-05-15-16-22-11[1].png
      93.7 KB · Views: 8
    • Screenshot_2021-05-15-16-22-32[1].png
      Screenshot_2021-05-15-16-22-32[1].png
      211.4 KB · Views: 9
    • Screenshot_2021-05-15-16-31-26[1].png
      Screenshot_2021-05-15-16-31-26[1].png
      93.5 KB · Views: 9
    Last edited:

vp1117

Jan 30, 2019
    Also, believe me, it makes sense to repack original SuperSU.zip to SuperSu.tar as I demonstrated above.
    OK, no problem, I can re-pack zip into tar.

However, what you demonstrated above was a screenshot showing update-binary.sh being inside the tar. At the same time you don't tell how update-binary.sh must be amended. Is it OK?