Question I need to know specifically how to unlock the bootloader and root the T-Mobile branded Pixel 7 Pro

Search This thread

BIGWORM

Retired Forum Moderator
Just need to follow the How-To Guide that's already been posted. Additionaly, with TMO, you need to make sure your phone is SIM-unlocked. Fastest way to do that is to seek out TMO Help on Twitter (I forgot their @ at the moment), and tell them you're going overseas for an extended period of time. They'll be able to remotely unlock the SIM for your permanently, which in turn will let you unlock the bootloader. Follow the How-To Guide from there.

Loustsoul

Just need to follow the How-To Guide that's already been posted. Additionaly, with TMO, you need to make sure your phone is SIM-unlocked. Fastest way to do that is to seek out TMO Help on Twitter (I forgot their @ at the moment), and tell them you're going overseas for an extended period of time. They'll be able to remotely unlock the SIM for your permanently, which in turn will let you unlock the bootloader. Follow the How-To Guide from there.
So nothing is different as far as the difference between buying one from Google or from T-Mobile? I just want to be sure. I have a little ptsd from the oneplus 10 pro I tried to root and change regions. This is so different from when I was doing this stuff everyday, 10 years ago things were easy.

Loustsoul

Which is best?

xdrc45

I downloaded that tool, but have no idea how to use it. I still have a lot of reading to do.
You can look at the main thread here and it gives you more information on using the Pixel Flasher Tool. It's actually very user friendly. I definitely would do some reading until you feel comfortable using one of the guides. Unless you're familiar with adb/fastboot commands, which isn't hard. Then I might suggest using the Pixel Flasher Tool.

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
It's best to learn the manual way, that is the safest way, learning helps you in many ways, and you can always get yourself out of troubles, or for the very least it helps you post pertinent messages that others who know better can help you, and of course, once you know, you can help others, which is what XDA is all about.
The learning curve at first might appear steep, however I assure you, many before you have walked through those steps and managed, you can too, in the meantime if you're hesitant about any step, ask questions, we're all here to help you.
I only recommend automated tools like PF to those who know all the manual steps, and want to save some time skipping the tedious steps (yes it gets tedious when you do it every month, or for some more often).

Wickidmasshole

Apr 4, 2012
Boston Mass
So nothing is different as far as the difference between buying one from Google or from T-Mobile? I just want to be sure. I have a little ptsd from the oneplus 10 pro I tried to root and change regions. This is so different from when I was doing this stuff everyday, 10 years ago things were easy.
As a fellow t-mo oneplus prisoner of war when it came to converting those phones (loss of sim/ bootloops/crash dumps/MSM back to stock 100 times) you'll be happy to hear having the pixel is almost like its 2012 all over again, Once you unlock the sim. No wonky sim crap, no unlock token needed and you can flash global firmware with zero issues. The fact I traded in a one plus 9 at t-mobile and got the P7P for close to nothing makes me love the phone even more.

Reactions: Loustsoul

neelchauhan

Dec 25, 2016
Google Pixel 3
Google Pixel 6
As a fellow t-mo oneplus prisoner of war when it came to converting those phones (loss of sim/ bootloops/crash dumps/MSM back to stock 100 times) you'll be happy to hear having the pixel is almost like its 2012 all over again, Once you unlock the sim. No wonky sim crap, no unlock token needed and you can flash global firmware with zero issues. The fact I traded in a one plus 9 at t-mobile and got the P7P for close to nothing makes me love the phone even more.
Even for me, OnePlus hardware still has tons of appeal, but that the situation with bootloader unlocking is so murky and makes it a literal no-go for me. Even Samsung is better if you exclude the US.

OnePlus was the better option for 2020 with the Pixel 5 dud, but not a good option for 2022 and beyond.

I didn't buy a carrier-locked device since the Moto Z2 Force (Sprint didn't accept OnePlus), and replaced it with a non-carrier Pixel 3. Went OnePlus 8, and back to Pixel.

Reactions: Loustsoul

Loustsoul

I know how to use adb ,fastboot, even fastboot advanced. I have never sideloaded anything and have not used any custom recoveries for many years. I used to theme but that was about 15-20 years ago. I was still using Cyanogenmod and clockwork.

Loustsoul

Even for me, OnePlus hardware still has tons of appeal, but that the situation with bootloader unlocking is so murky and makes it a literal no-go for me. Even Samsung is better if you exclude the US.

OnePlus was the better option for 2020 with the Pixel 5 dud, but not a good option for 2022 and beyond.

I didn't buy a carrier-locked device since the Moto Z2 Force (Sprint didn't accept OnePlus), and replaced it with a non-carrier Pixel 3. Went OnePlus 8, and back to Pixel.
This is the last carrier branded phone I will be purchasing, as long as finances support that decision.

xdrc45

Loustsoul

Another question for duel sim. If I have a sim (physical) and I use the download sim option, does it download the same sim? I have a second line that I would normally use (physical) and just swap out as needed. How would I get both esim and physical sim in the phone? I think I would just download the one that I have in the phone and install the one that I have outside the phone?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    They both achieve the same results. Guess it just a preference of which one you can follow along with.
    I personally used @roirraW "edor" ehT guide. You can also look at @badabing2003 Pixel Flasher Tool here
    It's best to learn the manual way, that is the safest way, learning helps you in many ways, and you can always get yourself out of troubles, or for the very least it helps you post pertinent messages that others who know better can help you, and of course, once you know, you can help others, which is what XDA is all about.
    The learning curve at first might appear steep, however I assure you, many before you have walked through those steps and managed, you can too, in the meantime if you're hesitant about any step, ask questions, we're all here to help you.
    I only recommend automated tools like PF to those who know all the manual steps, and want to save some time skipping the tedious steps (yes it gets tedious when you do it every month, or for some more often).
    I downloaded that tool, but have no idea how to use it. I still have a lot of reading to do.
    You can look at the main thread here and it gives you more information on using the Pixel Flasher Tool. It's actually very user friendly. I definitely would do some reading until you feel comfortable using one of the guides. Unless you're familiar with adb/fastboot commands, which isn't hard. Then I might suggest using the Pixel Flasher Tool.
    I have done research and downloaded everything that I think I need to do the job. Are there any differences I need to know to unlock the bootloader and root the T-Mobile branded Pixel 7 Pro? It will be arriving today.