• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

I seem to have messed up when debloating my phone. What apks are required for GPS?

Search This thread
Nov 25, 2021
I made the title as self descriptive as possible. Im a huge anonimity nerd and i debloated my android to my style (Samsung Galaxy A32 5g) since there was no compatibility for Lineage or /e/OS in it. In doing so, i retain pretty much all i want, however one of the weird functions that doens't work as well as it used to is the GPS. I'm pretty sure what i did was disable an APK that uses the phone reception to track location, since when i enable GPS i can still get my location with amazing accuracy, however it takes several minutes (and i mean SEVERAL) after being turned on to track where i am, and in other apps it does not track at all.

The issue is that im an Uber Eats worker (not exactly, but similar style of work) and resetting the phone to factory would mean to debloat all over again.

So, does anyone knows more or less which APKs specifically interact between location and other apps to know which one to enable again?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
The issue is that i've removed quite a number of things across several days and didn't realize that my GPS wasn't working snap-fast as it was before very much late.
Off the top of my head I no clue which apk(s) do that. The apk names can be misleading.
Many of the smaller apks just sit there unless needed.
Especially on Samsung's you can really screw up functionality by disabling blindly, worse it may net near zero performance/increased battery life.

One reason I use a package disabler is mistakes are easy to correct when experimenting with minimum consequences.

Someone here likely does know so keep trying. If that model has it's own section on XDA, post a thread there.

It may be one of these although likely not the last one...

Screenshot_20211125-173848_Package Disabler Pro.jpg

Nov 25, 2021
Off the top of my head I no clue which apk(s) do that. The apk names can be misleading.
Many of the smaller apks just sit there unless needed.
Especially on Samsung's you can really screw up functionality by disabling blindly, worse it may net near zero performance/increased battery life.

One reason I use a package disabler is mistakes are easy to correct when experimenting with minimum consequences.

Someone here likely does know so keep trying. If that model has it's own section on XDA, post a thread there.

It may be one of these although likely not the last one...

View attachment 5467967
Afraid it wasn't any of them, but thanks, im gonna look around.

Nov 25, 2021
MDM App might be needed... best to not disable this probably.
Afraid it didn't made a difference. Another weird issue i got however i think this is more of my android config is that after a while with the phone locked whatsapp closes and im not being sent any notifications until i unlock it and open it again. Do you suspect of any apk that need to be on to run the app or what setting could have messed that? I set the phone to never optimize battery and to not turn off data when locked and to not restrict it on whatsapp yet i still randomly open it to find several messages from hours ago that i never got notified for.

Nov 25, 2021
Ditch WhatsApp; trashware/malware.
Reload and start from the beginning.
God i wish i could delete whatsapp but i live in one of those countries where everyone and everything uses it.
As for reloading from the start, i've been thinking about it, but it took so much to delete so much bloat that i'd rather first try and see what i could salvage. After all, all the apks that i removed are still existing in the ROM as installers.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Reload, and use this this to at least set it up and determine what's safe to debloat.
If you disabled more than 90 apps, you probably killed more than is needed...

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Oh, dont worry, i use ADB, although next time i should probably keep in a list what i uninstalled.
Problem being Samsung's are feature packed and many are useful. After 2 years I'm still exploring my N10+.
If you inadvertently kill a parent app all it's children dependencies go nuts. Some apps serve more functions than you'll ever find listed.
With no way to easily renable them... you have no hope of easily discovering them.
To this day I still update and modify my bloat list to make the device more functional and efficient.

Be careful what you kill... especially if you haven't used Samsung's extensively. I have 2 N10+'s, one running on 9, the other 10. The Q variant literally has dozens of small system apks than the P variant. Both devices behave almost identically. These dozens of small apks allow this. They use almost no resources or battery.
The Q variants battery life is the same or better.

Blocking these apks would serve no purpose and likely screw up the newer N10+. It has about 150 more new packages in the Q variant than the P. I used my imported block list from the AT&T P variant for the non carrier Q variant. I took out a few new ones that were bloatware but the disable head count remains similar between both devices.
So don't go too nuts as Samsung has added many new system apks to tone down and make Android 10 and up UI usable, look nice and prevent lose of functionality

Nov 25, 2021
Problem being Samsung's are feature packed and many are useful. After 2 years I'm still exploring my N10+.
If you inadvertently kill a parent app all it's children dependencies go nuts. Some apps serve more functions than you'll ever find listed.
With no way to easily renable them... you have no hope of easily discovering them.
To this day I still update and modify my bloat list to make the device more functional and efficient.

Be careful what you kill... especially if you haven't used Samsung's extensively. I have 2 N10+'s, one running on 9, the other 10. The Q variant literally has dozens of small system apks than the P variant. Both devices behave almost identically. These dozens of small apks allow this. They use almost no resources or battery.
The Q variants battery life is the same or better.

Blocking these apks would serve no purpose and likely screw up the newer N10+. It has about 150 more new packages in the Q variant than the P. I used my imported block list from the AT&T P variant for the non carrier Q variant. I took out a few new ones that were bloatware but the disable head count remains similar between both devices.
So don't go too nuts as Samsung has added many new system apks to tone down and make Android 10 and up UI usable, look nice and prevent lose of functionality
Gotcha, although i've always been one for simplicity and all, to be honest i kinda wish i could just grab a barebones android OS for my phone and modify it from there.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Gotcha, although i've always been one for simplicity and all, to be honest i kinda wish i could just grab a barebones android OS for my phone and modify it from there.
Depending on the model and how much support there is, you can, but it's going to be a time eating gravity well.
It's a lot easier to use stock Samsung's and configure them to suit your needs. Samsung probably has the best launcher out there at least on the N10+.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Guess that's what i get for getting a phone a few months in the market.
Been a bad year for phones and Android.
I spent a -lot- of time dialing in my N10+, but once done it runs great. You need to find the solutions and use work arounds when needed.
Stock Androids are almost impossible to crash. So... play with it.

Just make sure all critical data is redundantly backed up to at least 2 hhds that are physically and electronically isolated from each other and the PC. Do this or eventually you will lose data.

Nov 25, 2021
I spent a -lot- of time dialing in my N10+, but once done it runs great. You need to find the solutions and use work arounds when needed.

Just make sure all critical data is redundantly backed up to at least 2 hhds that are physically and electronically isolated from each other and the PC. Do this or eventually you will lose data.
I trust you on that! Thanks a lot for your help UH60.

Reactions: blackhawk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I trust you on that! Thanks a lot for your help UH60.