• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

I thought Google will add microSD slot finally on Nexus 6

Search This thread

iZack187

Dec 28, 2012
Montreal
Because AFAIK ext4 has no windows driver support. Maybe that has changed since I ran Arch and ext4 shortly after ext4 became standard on Linux.
Ubuntu now has NTFS support out of the box... I think Windows 10 is heading that way too with it's sudden "love" for Linux. But until then, there's lots of software that can R/W to ext4 from Windows. I'm sure Google could develop an easy app that allows us to drag and drop files

It is more a want than a need to carry around your whole music collection on your phone. Honestly there is no NEED for more than 64gb. I don't care how anyone puts it, having more than that is a WANT. Which is fine, if you WANT to carry around 8000 mp3, then get a phone that will let you do that.

You are completely right. I don't need to carry all my stuff with me, but I just love the fact that I know I have it. I have the same mentality with apps but they don't cause a problem since their size is considerably smaller than media (except games of course), for example I have a "Tools" app that include a protractor and a surface level that I've used like one time this year... but I like knowing that I have it, just in case, you never know what could happen lol. Same goes for my media, out of my 3000 songs, i probably only listen to the same 30 ones, lol, but sometimes I'm in a mood for a specific genre or track and guess what, I have it, no need to stream or download. Sometimes I have to kill time for an unexpected scenario, that's when I like knowing I have so many little youtube videos and music videos that can entertain me for a while.
All that to say, yes, this is a big WANT, but I also WANT a pure AOSP device...

doctahjeph

Jun 15, 2006
corpus christi
Ubuntu now has NTFS support out of the box... I think Windows 10 is heading that way too with it's sudden "love" for Linux. But until then, there's lots of software that can R/W to ext4 from Windows. I'm sure Google could develop an easy app that allows us to drag and drop files

You are completely right. I don't need to carry all my stuff with me, but I just love the fact that I know I have it. I have the same mentality with apps but they don't cause a problem since their size is considerably smaller than media (except games of course), for example I have a "Tools" app that include a protractor and a surface level that I've used like one time this year... but I like knowing that I have it, just in case, you never know what could happen lol. Same goes for my media, out of my 3000 songs, i probably only listen to the same 30 ones, lol, but sometimes I'm in a mood for a specific genre or track and guess what, I have it, no need to stream or download. Sometimes I have to kill time for an unexpected scenario, that's when I like knowing I have so many little youtube videos and music videos that can entertain me for a while.
All that to say, yes, this is a big WANT, but I also WANT a pure AOSP device...

Google Play Edition devices.

_MetalHead_

Jun 30, 2010
Portland
Ok... I'm very picky... but i also WANT the latest cpu aka SnapDragon 805...with 2.5K display, and 3GB of ram :)
And I doubt Samsung will ever release a Note 4 GPE, and the Xperia Z4 is still too far away (not AOSP but very close...)

I gave up on needing to have the latest and greatest specs a while ago. I learned that what it all comes down to is user experience, and it was the original Moto X that changed my views. I have the new Moto X as my primary phone now, and while it does have comparable specs to the bulk of the other flagships, its UX is unparalleled, and I don't need anything more right now. And I certainly don't need a QHD display, as I think they are absolute gimmicks, especially when they need significantly higher specs just to get the same performance. I won't buy a phone with a QHD display as long as there are great 1080p flagships still available.

mdwh

Feb 9, 2014
I do find it odd that specs like resolution have long gone more than high enough for the average user, but things like storage space are excused because "most people don't need it" and "you can carry other devices". It's particularly odd when you consider how much space a typical phone/tablet has to store those HD or 4K videos. (And if the average user doesn't need that, what's the point of having those resolutions?)

No one NEEDs a phone full stop; all the things being discussed are "wants".

1) there are many different types of cards out there with different read and write speeds. Having a big storage with low speeds could lead to lag and general slowness..

2) Having a "removable" storage gives you an option to "remove" it, say, for media exchange. But a storage contains two types of data; user objects like musics, pictures and secondly apps which has some files inside of the actual storage also. So removing this storage may fail some apps to run. Companies prevent that by not letting people to store their apps inside of SD cards thus damaging the point of having an "extra" memory.

So I believe having an big internal storage is always betterb for these reasons..
I don't think anyone is saying we shouldn't have a reasonable size of internal storage - the days of having tiny internal storage were bad. But having the option of additional expandable storage is a good thing.

SD cards are rated for speed. They're slower than internal storage, but also cheaper (what's the speed of downloading from the cloud, then?)

It's like SSDs and conventional hard drives for laptops/desktops. Yes, everyone agrees that having your system on an SSD is a good thing, but someone who buys TBs of SSD space just to host their video collection has more money than sense. So many have opted for the model of having a smaller SSD with a larger mechanical hard drive. A decent OS should be able to work with such possibilities.

Not that Google even give us the option of having lots of internal storage anyway - at least the Nexus 6 has 64GB which is a step forward, but the Nexus 5 and 9 don't.

If they were only for data, that's fine too, and doesn't damage the point - it's music and videos that take up most the space. Plus that argument applies to cloud storage too - you can't install apps there, does that make it pointless?

Expandable storage doesn't have to be easily removable.

The iPhone doesn't have an SD card and you don't see those users complaining. Why not just get the 64GB version and have more than enough space for photos and stuff? For the average user (which Google is targeting) they won't need more than 32GB of space, let alone 64GB.
Except iphones have 64GB and 128GB options - you can't say the smaller amounts are enough, whilst using iphones as an example.

Also people do criticise iphones for this reason - obviously not iphone users themselves, just as the OP presumably isn't a Nexus 6 owner either. People don't buy a device they don't like, criticisms are reasons to buy another device.

Get a real phone. Or get a Samsung and your precious SD cards. It's 2014 already you guys sound like the same people that cried over the loss of their precious floppy disk
This makes no sense. People are wanting more storage - with technology, things should be getting better with time. You are the one wanting something less. Floppy disks were annoying because of how little they stored. If there was a solution that offered storage in a better way, that would be great, but I don't see it being provided.

_MetalHead_

Jun 30, 2010
Portland
I do find it odd that specs like resolution have long gone more than high enough for the average user, but things like storage space are excused because "most people don't need it" and "you can carry other devices". It's particularly odd when you consider how much space a typical phone/tablet has to store those HD or 4K videos. (And if the average user doesn't need that, what's the point of having those resolutions?)

Yeah, I would MUCH rather have a 1080p display with more storage than a QHD display with little storage. Manufacturers are wasting resources on useless things like ultra high-res screens when they could be making 64gb or even 128gb the standard. Makes no sense to me.

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Regarding filesystems, what Windows supports is a bit of a moot point. There seems to be a push to use stuff like MTP for file access from a computer. Using that, the card could be formatted with some made-up filesystem and Windows could still read/write your files. The best thing about that style, is that you don't need to dismount the card from Android to use it. So your apps continue to access it as well. It's like using a network share. Both machines can use the files, but only the "server" needs to be able to mount the filesystem. So if it's about Microsoft and the silly FAT patents, just detect that the card isn't ext4 or whatever you decide to use, tell the user that it needs to be initialized and that doing so will delete all data from the card. Make them type in "Yes, Delete All My ****", Format, mount, done.

It's moderately annoying for a normal user, but Nexus isn't really FOR normal users. It's for developers. So not treating us like idiots would be nice.

As for floppies... When Apple stopped including them we already had USB sticks that held more data, were physically smaller, faster, and in every way, better technology. By the time PCs stopped including them, I don't think anyone still used them for anything other than copying old disks to a better format. USB and other external devices work fine for a box that spends most of its time sitting on a desk. I don't think anyone here is going to leave an OTG stick plugged into a phone all the time.

Sure, you can say go get a different device... Which one if one of the requirements is a stable AOSP, as stable as it is on a Nexus device, with 100% hardware support, with a nearly 6"@1080p+ screen? Doesn't exist.

hack14u

Nov 23, 2010
Mobile, AL
All of this talk about how the evil G doesn't like SD cards, yet introduced new functionality in 5.0. Apps can now create a tree structure (specific directories) onto the SD card and r/w to it. It is the ACTION_OPEN_DOCUMENT_TREE intent, and apps can now use it. Seems like a pretty big step forward to me. But yes, this does open up the issue of slow media creating slight bits of lag. Most general consumers are going to buy the cheapest card they can find, usually resulting in slower r/w speeds. Thankfully for devs, this shouldn't be much of an issue anymore as the speeds of even a cheap card should be enough to be pretty quick.

_delice_doluca_

Apr 26, 2011
istanbul

No one NEEDs a phone full stop; all the things being discussed are "wants".

I don't think anyone is saying we shouldn't have a reasonable size of internal storage - the days of having tiny internal storage were bad. But having the option of additional expandable storage is a good thing.

SD cards are rated for speed. They're slower than internal storage, but also cheaper (what's the speed of downloading from the cloud, then?)

It's like SSDs and conventional hard drives for laptops/desktops. Yes, everyone agrees that having your system on an SSD is a good thing, but someone who buys TBs of SSD space just to host their video collection has more money than sense. So many have opted for the model of having a smaller SSD with a larger mechanical hard drive. A decent OS should be able to work with such possibilities.

Not that Google even give us the option of having lots of internal storage anyway - at least the Nexus 6 has 64GB which is a step forward, but the Nexus 5 and 9 don't.

If they were only for data, that's fine too, and doesn't damage the point - it's music and videos that take up most the space. Plus that argument applies to cloud storage too - you can't install apps there, does that make it pointless?

Expandable storage doesn't have to be easily removable.

Except iphones have 64GB and 128GB options - you can't say the smaller amounts are enough, whilst using iphones as an example.

Also people do criticise iphones for this reason - obviously not iphone users themselves, just as the OP presumably isn't a Nexus 6 owner either. People don't buy a device they don't like, criticisms are reasons to buy another device.

This makes no sense. People are wanting more storage - with technology, things should be getting better with time. You are the one wanting something less. Floppy disks were annoying because of how little they stored. If there was a solution that offered storage in a better way, that would be great, but I don't see it being provided.

You, my friend, has left me nothing to say for a counter opinion. Instead I fully accept yours :) Perfectly valid points.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wish people stop bitching about the MicroSD slot already.

I hope Android 6.0 removes MicroSD all together
    I wish people stop bitching about the MicroSD slot already.

I hope Android 6.0 removes MicroSD all together

Yeah, those people with slow and/or limited data connections who have a need for a lot of storage on their phone are sooooo ridiculous and unreasonable. Google removing MicroSD all together in a future android update is completely the right choice. Consumers should have limited choices in everything they do as should phone manufactures...... Long live blindly following everything Google does and never considering anything but a Nexus cause everything Google does is so right and amazing....

I hope you know that's sarcasm....
    I don't think it's all about making us use the cloud. There could bentwood more possibilities I believe;

1) there are many different types of cards out there with different read and write speeds. Having a big storage with low speeds could lead to lag and general slowness..

2) Having a "removable" storage gives you an option to "remove" it, say, for media exchange. But a storage contains two types of data; user objects like musics, pictures and secondly apps which has some files inside of the actual storage also. So removing this storage may fail some apps to run. Companies prevent that by not letting people to store their apps inside of SD cards thus damaging the point of having an "extra" memory.

So I believe having an big internal storage is always betterb for these reasons..

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app

i thought it's about not letting microsoft earn their patent royalties on their file system????
    The lack of a microSD slot makes it hard to decide between the Nexus 6 and Note 4. I don't know why Samsung is able to do it but Google not.

Because it has nothing to do with ability. It's a choice, plain and simple. Why they make that choice is debatable, but anything we think is speculation. I generally go with "follow the money". Google gains if people are using the cloud more. But that's just opinion.

It's not a technology issue, every one of those I've seen trotted out is easy to work around.

Between the note 4 and Nexus 6... The biggest difference is touchwiz really. People will say that AOSP roms will be made. And they are right. However, note 3 still lacks a fully functional AOSP that is as stable as stock. Even if you don't care about the missing hardware support like NFC. The stability just isn't there. It's gotten much better recently, but I'm stuck on touchwiz because of it. So if you buy a note4, be sure you don't mind that. There's nothing wrong with that choice, it's a great device and looks like it works well.
    I can think of solutions for everything except pushing the cloud.

Filesystems are a dime a dozen. Just require a non-patented one. Tell the user what's going on prior to formatting it and that they can put it in a windows machine and format it to use it elsewhere. Most people don't swap them about that often. Using a security aware filesystem would solve the problem with apps accessing other apps data as well. Other than root, but rooting the device makes the users responsible for the outcome of giving apps root permission.

Speeds, meh.. Do a test and warn the user that the card is slow. Even crappy slow cards are more than fast enough for all except the higher bitrate HD videos. And few people have constant access to networks faster than even the slower SD cards.

Removing the storage doesn't happen that often. And would happen less if they didn't use a windows compatible filesystem. Apps2Sd is a ridiculous feature when even small phones come with 16GB. It made sense on the G1. Not so much now. When formatting the card, warn the user that apps using that storage might have issues if you remove the card. I don't know many normal users that remove the card, other than to upgrade to a bigger one.

Bigger internal storage is always desirable. However, I think it's ridiculous to remove the card option for users that want it. 64GB is about the level where I can get away without the card, so I will probably end up with an N6. But I find it irritating that Google removes the option. Particularly since I can't think of a reason that isn't self serving for them to do it.

But it is what it is. That's just how they do it right now. If that's a deal breaker for you, you will have to find a different device. I wish they would put the hardware there at least. Even if it required a custom kernel to enable it. But it's not likely to happen anytime soon.