I use arch btw

Search This thread
Most of the "Vanilla Arch" users are actually Anti-Distro. Caz they don't want to have any pre-chosen software prebuilt out of the box, rather they prefer choosing their own set of software, which is what exactly Arch does.
And most of us like Arch not because of it's difficulty in installation, but because of it's "set standards", simplicity of user choice & straight forward updated documentation.

Reactions: $cronos_ and HipKat

$cronos_

Sep 21, 2021
Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10
Most of the "Vanilla Arch" users are actually Anti-Distro. Caz they don't want to have any pre-chosen software prebuilt out of the box, rather they prefer choosing their own set of software, which is what exactly Arch does.
And most of us like Arch not because of it's difficulty in installation, but because of it's "set standards", simplicity of user choice & straight forward updated documentation.
Yes, Arch has a very complete wiki

Reactions: HipKat and MPK99

HipKat

Recognized Contributor
After driving Arco-Linux for a few weeks (Switching back and forth from KDE to XFCE), I switched to Garuda yesterday. If you like eye candy, this is it and so far, not one issue. Even scaling works on everything! (Not true with Arco).

One thing, I used yay to install a game I play and if I go to the folder where the exe is, I can start it, but it never created an entry in the packages list, so how can I create a "shortcut" on either my panel or Favorites to start the game with one click?

hlaube

Feb 20, 2011
I think, interesting it will get, if the hardware-setup is more complicated.

I run actually Arch with i3 as desktop.

I have 4 times 2 GB drives with BTRFS as my home drive, root is on BTRFS-Raid 2 and Boot/swap on ext4.
Here, arch was easier to manage then Gentoo, I used before in another setup of the drives.

Since my data are on a separate drive-package, I change from time to time the linux, when I want to test something new :)

onlotus

Jun 16, 2022
What blows me away about Arch Linux is its stupidly hard to install. I have installed many Linux distros and most you do not have to lookup directions on how to do it. Installing Arch feels like being blind folded and good luck installing it anyway you can. The instructions are on the web not even on the .img file. Manjaro Linux and Black Arch basically install themselves with hardly no instruction. Which says everything you need to know about Arch Linux...

p.s.
Maybe you could do a detailed installation or like a understandable guild I would love it. Because I have never been able to install Arch. Never even gotten to a GUI in Arch Linux. Only terminal commands to install that didn't work...

HipKat

Recognized Contributor
What blows me away about Arch Linux is its stupidly hard to install. I have installed many Linux distros and most you do not have to lookup directions on how to do it. Installing Arch feels like being blind folded and good luck installing it anyway you can. The instructions are on the web not even on the .img file. Manjaro Linux and Black Arch basically install themselves with hardly no instruction. Which says everything you need to know about Arch Linux...

p.s.
Maybe you could do a detailed installation or like a understandable guild I would love it. Because I have never been able to install Arch. Never even gotten to a GUI in Arch Linux. Only terminal commands to install that didn't work...
The newest Arch has a built-in installer so you don't need to do a Command-Line install anymore, but DistroTube on YT has a recent walkthrough on the install process

Reactions: onlotus

onlotus

Jun 16, 2022
Almost every Arch based Linux besides the real Arch Linux is easy to install. Arch Linux itself, not so much... I have used about 3 different versions of Arch. They all ran clean, stable, and truly a smooth branch of Linux. But as Arch being the start of all these other flavors. I would just like the option to not start the installation on a command line. I mean they are the foundation of Arch Linux.

HipKat

Recognized Contributor
Almost every Arch based Linux besides the real Arch Linux is easy to install. Arch Linux itself, not so much... I have used about 3 different versions of Arch. They all ran clean, stable, and truly a smooth branch of Linux. But as Arch being the start of all these other flavors. I would just like the option to not start the installation on a command line. I mean they are the foundation of Arch Linux.
You don't need to use command line to install Arch any longer ,There are images that have self installers built-in

onlotus

Jun 16, 2022
You don't need to use command line to install Arch any longer ,There are images that have self installers built-in

Yea you talking about something like this. Still fdisk -l and a lot of other cmd....

sgs9

Nov 10, 2010
Essen
garudalinux.org
Garuda-btw-02-sgs.png

appye

Jun 20, 2006
I used Arch for a some years until they stopped issuing it with the installer. Before that I was tried LFS and various source based distros, hopping around. I settled on Gentoo for maybe a year, ricing my systems to the nth degree. I got tired of Arch and bleeding edge rolling models once I started installing Linux for other people, with routine updates randomly breaking something once again. There went the rest of my day. This was the main reason I gave up on it. After trying some of the full desktop distros, I went with vanilla Debian and have been happy with it for the last six or seven years, and so are my users.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yea, I just gotta let you guys know.
    Dual booting all machines with Arch as my primary OS. I keep Windows around just in case. Big fan of Arch, to the point that I have Arch Linux Arm on my raspberry.
    HAHAHAHAHA!
    An old Archer here.
    Been using Arch for Almost 10 years and being one of local users Admin & wiki writer i shall say installing arch is like walk in park! :D
    Manjaro has too many mods which causes most of their problems.
    Been using Arch openbox and xfce for years now.
    Playing with Archlabs for over a year now and enjoying the ride and the find people there.
    If you can't install Arch manually the Arch way, you likely shouldn't be using Arch.
    I'm a fellow user of Arch based distros as well (generally Endeavor or Garuda with the blackarch and chaotic aur keyrings installed on top of)