Search This thread

no1Ltan

Feb 10, 2012
Hi modders/hackers/experts,

I'm the new guy.

My skills are equal to the skills of a 5 year old.
Anyway, I'm not sure where to post my problem, so please don't punch me :)
I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 with Android 2.3.6 - nothing modded.
Well, I really like the cell phone and the OS, but there is something I don't like.
The standard volume levels (for media) are 16.
In my opinion this is not fine enough.
The loudness is okay if you ask me, but the steps are not fine enough.
(It's either too loud or too silent - especially with Headsets.)
If there were more volume levels (for example 100, or even less), it would be really fine and you could find your favorite level, depending on the current song.
There are some apps like fine volume control, but I've tried several and they did not work properly.

Unfortunately, I have not been man enough to "root" my cell phone or to install some modded firmware.
I think I will do it if it's the only solution.

Practically I want that the volume buttons make finer steps.
Also, there are some headsets with included control buttons (also volume buttons).
Using such buttons with fine volume control would be awesome!

So, what do you guys say?

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
You are looking for something that moves the level from 5 to 5.25 etc instead of to 6 . Not seen anything and yes i would like slightly more control as i find minimum sound level of 2 slightly to low and pushing sound level to 3 is to high .
All the apps i have used likewise move in steps of 1 .

jje

no1Ltan

Feb 10, 2012
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
This app is good but a bit buggy for me:
h**ps://market.android.com/details?id=opotech.finevolumev2

Making steps of 1 is okay, but the limit should not be 16 but higher.
If the limit is 100, a step of 1 would be much finer.

Edit: 6,25 times finer if we want to be exact ;)

Last edited:

richardop

Feb 15, 2011
Hi
I wrote Fine volume control, and if the bug you are experiencing is the volume jumping erratically when you change it (with headphones) then it's not something that I can fix because I haven't been able to find the cause. I've had 3-4 reports of this bug.

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Hi
I wrote Fine volume control, and if the bug you are experiencing is the volume jumping erratically when you change it (with headphones) then it's not something that I can fix because I haven't been able to find the cause. I've had 3-4 reports of this bug.

That was enough for it to fail my test as to keep it or not otherwise it was promising .

Bug was on media players attempt to increase sound level in player was a straight jump from low level to high level .

jje

mikef

Retired Senior Moderator
Stumbled on this thread in a Google search...

I don't know how the Galaxy SII works as far as mods go, I use a HTC Sensation, but I have little skills myself with regards to scripting, and have been able to make two mods using tips and clues from these posts and some Googling.

I think the mod part would be the same, but the delivery might be different. Not sure though. :D

I was actually trying to make a mod for phone wakeup using the volume keys using this post, which I was eventually able to do. I knew I needed to decompile android.policy.jar and make some changes to one of the files within, but I didn't know how.

I searched and I started here: Jar/apk baksmali smali file decompile and compiler

OK, useful stuff. Some Googling and XDA searching showed I needed to have the latest Java Runtime Engine installed, and the latest Java Development Kit, and they can be obtained from Oracle's site. Got them installed, tried 1. from the thread above, and got a weird "magic number" error. Hmm. Looked at the package date and realized it was a bit old...so another google brought me to here where I could download the latest smali and baksmali files to replace the ones in the folder where I was working in.
forgot to rename the smali and baksmali.jar files without the "1.3.2" part. :eek:

Fixed that, decompile worked!! Edited what I needed in Notepad++ so as to not mess up the Unix formatting (don't use Notepad or Wordpad), recompiled, whoohoo!

Next step was to open the original android.policy.jar file which I had decompiled from originally. Use 7Zip to open it, then drag the classes.dex file in there, close 7Zip.
Two ways to go from there, I could copy the android.policy.jar file into /system/framework and overwrite the old one, change permissions, then reboot, kinda messy, not redistributable, or... I could make a flashable .zip.

Easiest way to do that is to use someone else's. :D Add what you want by dragging it in, and delete what you don't want. Then copy the updater-script file out to a folder, edit it in Notepad++, and then copy it back in and overwrite the existing one. Just look at a few updater-scripts from different mods and ROMs and the syntax is easy to figure out.

So, I was successful with my first mod. Yay! Now I wanted to do another one.

Some searching led me to this, Fine Volume Control. I knew I wanted it as you do now. Same process as above for decompile/recompile, except using framework.jar, so now I have made my second mod.

I don't know if any of this will help you on the Galaxy SII, but it can be done! Good Luck!

Edit: Just re-read your initial post, you would of course have to be rooted. Not necessarily with a custom ROM, but rooted definitely. Go ahead and do it, I knew nothing about Android phones before August 2011 when I bought one and joined XDA that day. It is not that hard, just takes time and patience and good reading skills. :D

Last edited:

no1Ltan

Feb 10, 2012
Hi and thanks for your replies.

It's been a while, yes.

Well, since Samsung managed it to damage their own cell phone by releasing Android 4.0.3, I'm ready to install a custom mod.
(Not this week but this month I guess.)

I don't know if there is already a custom mod that could eventually have a fine volume control integrated.
I mean I'm not the only one who thinks this 16 level system sucks!
Google issue list: 25920 - I'm not allowed to post external links...
(Cool, someone mentioned the same thread as you did. Was that you? ;))

Regards

no1Ltan

Feb 10, 2012
Sorry for the double post and for being off-topic, I've just seen it:
Whoever rated the thread with one star and whoever included those idiotic tags:
Get a life you ****ing moron!

gbmolina

Sep 11, 2012
Sofia
volume knobs?

Hi

Hi, I have a question about your app: it doesn't give the "finer" volume steps when using the hardware volume keys, right? Or am I missing something?
I need an app (I do not want to install the xposed framework) that will give me additional volume steps when using the hardware volume keys on my Galaxy S5, CyanogenMod 11.
Thanks.

Last edited:

richardop

Feb 15, 2011
Hi, I have a question about your app: it doesn't give the "finer" volume steps when using the hardware volume keys, right? Or am I missing something?
I need an app (I do not want to install the xposed framework) that will give me additional volume steps when using the hardware volume keys on my Galaxy S5, CyanogenMod 11.
Thanks.

That's correct, it doesn't modify the behaviour of the hardware volume keys in general usage.

While the volume app itself is open it does modify their behaviour, but as soon as you exit the app the volume keys act as normal.