I wrote an app to control my phone through google talk

Search This thread

chm.duquesne

Sep 19, 2010
Hey guys!

I developed TalkMyPhone, an open-source app that enables you to control your phone from google talk. It's like android-notifier on steroids, since it brings almost the same features and you don't need wifi/bluetooth enabled.

I can't post links since I'm new here. Google for talkmyphone or look for it on the market.

Developers: I'm open to contributions
Users: please use the issue tracker for suggesting features

I don't have many non-french users since the info did not spread very well outside of french blogs, so I'm posting it here. I hope someone will find it useful and write something about it.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
Hey guys!

I developed TalkMyPhone, an open-source app that enables you to control your phone from google talk. It's like android-notifier on steroids, since it brings almost the same features and you don't need wifi/bluetooth enabled.

I can't post links since I'm new here. Google for talkmyphone or look for it on the market.

Developers: I'm open to contributions
Users: please use the issue tracker for suggesting features

I don't have many non-french users since the info did not spread very well outside of french blogs, so I'm posting it here. I hope someone will find it useful and write something about it.

Do you need multiple GTalk accounts in order to talk to it, or can you "talk to yourself" ?

TMReuffurth

Aug 3, 2009
Aljezur
Doesn´t work on my SGS. After trying to to login the app closed. And now i can´t open it again. Even every other app wont start.

Only a restart helped. Uninstalled.

But the idea is interessting. maybe i´ll give a try again later.

chm.duquesne

Sep 19, 2010
Do you need multiple GTalk accounts in order to talk to it, or can you "talk to yourself" ?
The 2 solutions work. Talking to yourself is possible in gmail, but you cannot initiate the conversation, so in this case, best is to use a third party client like pidgin. Otherwise you can set up a second account. Any standard jabber account is possible.

Accounts delivered at jabber.org are *very* easy to get. You don't need to give your email address, you don't need to sign an agreement. You just have to fill a captcha to prove you're human.

Doesn´t work on my SGS. After trying to to login the app closed. And now i can´t open it again. Even every other app wont start.

Only a restart helped. Uninstalled.
Weird. Some unlucky people experiment bugs like this one. I don't know where this comes from, and I try to improve the code. It works 100% of the time for me, so all I can do is look at 'adb logcat' traces users leave on the bugtracker. If you wish to do so, it might improve your chances to see this fixed ;)

timothydonohue

Oct 2, 2007
Portland, Maine
giving it a shot

you may try changing your preferences.xml to the attached (just because of english, just change .zip to .xml)

i have to find the other file, because i noticed some other grammatical things. no worries tho ;)

and, 'additional settings', in the xml has too many 'n's, lol

Attachments

• preferences.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

chm.duquesne

Sep 19, 2010
giving it a shot

you may try changing your preferences.xml to the attached (just because of english, just change .zip to .xml)

i have to find the other file, because i noticed some other grammatical things. no worries tho ;)

and, 'additional settings', in the xml has too many 'n's, lol
Thank you, I'll update that in the next release.

khukman

Jun 5, 2009
Tampa, FL
Pretty Neat

I was able to go on Google Talk on my PC and send messages to my phone. The copy:text feature I can definitely see myself using so that I don't have to type long URLs in the browser. The other functions seem like they would be nice if you lost your phone or if it was stolen. Overall a pretty neat app! Thanks!

Rob
HTC Incredible
Virtuous Rom 2.7

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
So I have the app running and logged in. (Phone is logged into [email protected])

On my PC I have [email protected]. I message from PC to phone (John to Paul) and nothing happens.

I tried "where" "ring" etc, but the app doesn't respond. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

khukman

Jun 5, 2009
Tampa, FL
What next...

When you start the app on the phone, make sure you input your google information and then start the app. If you have Google Talk up on your PC, it should pop up a window for you to type commands into (talk to/control your phone). It did for me anyway. Type a "?" to get a list of the commands...

Rob

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
When you start the app on the phone, make sure you input your google information and then start the app. If you have Google Talk up on your PC, it should pop up a window for you to type commands into (talk to/control your phone). It did for me anyway. Type a "?" to get a list of the commands...

Rob

Hmm, I did all this. Let me see where the issue is:

1. My phone's Google account is set to [email protected].

2. I put in [email protected] and my password into TalkMyPhone.

3. I start up TalkMyPhone and it logs in -- successfully.

4. I go to my PC and log into gmail on [email protected].

5. I message from my PC ([email protected]) to my phone ([email protected]).

6. I get the message but nothing happens with TalkMyPhone.

Can you tell me where the issue is?

Last edited:

i have a leg

Sep 16, 2009
St. Louis
i entered in all of my information too and nothing seems to work, the app says loging in .. then that its successful. but then nothing can be done from there.

RazorHail

Jul 24, 2010
i cant even log in

i always get the message: "login failed" and then "stopping service"

i tried setting it on "use the phones account settings"

then i turned that off, and manually put in my gmail-settings - still didnt work

EggL

Nov 1, 2009
Same issues over here... Got it all connected, reciving messages from the phone works fine, too (welcome, battery, incomming callings) but sending commands doesn't work for me.

Got a HTC Magic/Sapphire with CM6 (2.2) running on it.

EggL

Nov 1, 2009
I had the same problem. I changed the GTalk Port to 5222 and entered my ****@googlemail.com instead of ****@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2009
Works perfect on my HD2 (Android :)) Thank you!

When I log in on phone i get this gTalk message on my pc from my own account:
Welcome to TalkMyPhone. Send "?" for getting help
Battery level 78%

Works just perfect...

RazorHail

Jul 24, 2010
I had the same problem. I changed the GTalk Port to 5222 and entered my ****@googlemail.com instead of ****@gmail.com

i changed @gmail.com to @googlemail.com
and it logs in now....

but i dont get any messages....

do i need to have the real gtalk installed on my computer?

doesnt applications like trillian for windows work?

Quelltextfabrik

Mar 15, 2010
I tried Pidgin and it works but I use the GMail-Chat because it's my info hub :)

Anyways, great work chm.duquesne, this is a really great application.

Now there just needs to be a way in GTalk to turn off the chat notification in Android for a single contact :)

// Edit
The "where" feature is really awesome, mate.

Nothing serious but the reply feature does not work for me. When I received a SMS and I type "reply:This is my reply" it answers "No match for "+491234567890" (the number being the correct number, of course).

Last edited: