i605 Hard-Unbricking via KOBOL's Method :)

Search This thread

unicell

May 31, 2014
did you prepare the SD card properly?? follow the instructions exactly and with the SD card in place, you'll see the black screen saying success or something like that.

Keep at it, worst case scenario is you don't succeed...

Yes, I tried the combination of those two image files (cause I wasn't sure which one applies to my case), with winimage and winhex. Same result. I also tried screwdriver and pincet to short the resistor. After pressing the power button, screen remains black before and after I remove the screwdriver. I'm quite sure I hold the battery right, because if don't short the resistor and simply press the power button, it will display logo in loop. And I tried above steps many many times.

BlakeDC

Oct 18, 2010
Ok. Let me start this out by saying that this procedure is very risky...I'm not even sure why I followed through with this....but, I will tell my story and you can decide if the risk is worth it.

I was running the 4.3 locked bootloader VRUEMJ9. I was running SafeStrap with N3bula ROM. Like many others, I've been frustrated with this locked bootloader...So, for the third time, I decided to test this method to see if I could downgrade back to 4.1

Using the knowledge from KOBOL, and the very helpful write-up by GiGaLeOnZa, I spent over an hour trying to hold the battery in place and short that little tiny resistor. After an hour, I finally got the stars to align, and was able to hold everything together while pressing the power button. As I counted to 6, the screen flashed white, and I pulled my screwdriver off of the resistor, and the screen stayed white for another second, then went black. After thinking, "oh great, there goes my phone" I reconnected everything and prepared to put my bricked phone back together. Imagine my surprise when I turned it on, and the safestrap screen appeared. After hitting continue, my phone booted in system recovery mode. I chose the "update from SD card" option. This resulted in a failure to mount. So, after I realized that I still had to imaged SD card in the device, I turned it off and put my normal SD card in. When I booted my phone, N3bula loaded like normal, and I was able to check my e-mail and voicemail. So, obviously, I felt like I needed to mess with it even further. Brazened my the backup I had made yesterday, I decided to ODIN the root66 firmware onto the device. After ODIN declared the process successful, I waited with my breath held while my phone booted up...After what seemed to be a long time on the "Samsung Galaxy Note II" splash screen, the little Android with an open chest appeared with a status bar. After that had completed, my phone rebooted and I went back to holding my breath. When the phone got past the first splash screen and the old "4GLTE" logo with the emanating rings appeared, I almost fell off my chair. After an eternity, my phone turned on and finally, what we've all been waiting for....View attachment 2713239

Now please, I beg you to read this whole post before you decide to do this yourself...as I said before, this is extremely risky, and I'm not sure if I just got lucky, or this worked.

Huge thanks to GiGaLeOnZa and KOBOL for their extremely helpful guides and knowledge.

Has nobody tried to replicate this?

GiGaLeOnZa

Nov 3, 2011
Yes, I tried the combination of those two image files (cause I wasn't sure which one applies to my case), with winimage and winhex. Same result. I also tried screwdriver and pincet to short the resistor. After pressing the power button, screen remains black before and after I remove the screwdriver. I'm quite sure I hold the battery right, because if don't short the resistor and simply press the power button, it will display logo in loop. And I tried above steps many many times.

Yea, if you weren't holding the battery right then the phone wouldn't be turning on, unless you have the USB cable plugged in. I opted not to do so, because when the board gets power it will try and start charging it and wouldn't start the boot looping..

Keep at it, I got mine going on the 3rd attempt to power it up. Make sure your counting exactly to 5, 6 tops. I'm not sure what else to say, but if in the event you can't get the phone reset via micro SD and can't ODIN back, you're stuck :( best of luck.

GiGaLeOnZa

Nov 3, 2011
Has nobody tried to replicate this?

I wish I could, but I haven't been unfortunate enough to install the new locked bootloader. If I had by mistake, I would want to try this to unlock, but I was lucky enough just to bring my phone back to life, I'm not courageous enough to update then try and go back. I leave that to the people who are locked and want to be adventerous enough to confirm what ioc did.

WhiteEVO

Jul 19, 2010
I'm getting to the point where I might try shorting the jumper and seeing if I can odin back to 4.1.1 or 4.2. So frustrated with being bootlocked!!!

tekjester

Jul 29, 2010
I wish I could, but I haven't been unfortunate enough to install the new locked bootloader. If I had by mistake, I would want to try this to unlock, but I was lucky enough just to bring my phone back to life, I'm not courageous enough to update then try and go back. I leave that to the people who are locked and want to be adventerous enough to confirm what ioc did.

So, I just spent quite a few hours trying to replicate this, and here's what happened.

Everything went as he described, but the bootloader is still locked! A couple nuances.

First, KNOX is still present even after getting the white screen (never got any sort of text)
Second I could not flash stock VRAMC3 firmware. That messed me up.
Third, I could flash Root66 Firmware. It flashed successfully, but it bootlooped and I flashed again and got the same successful flash with a bootloop.
Lastly, even after successfully flashing Root66, the bootloader is very much locked and showing a void warranty. I never booted, but the system and bootloader are independent of each other. If the shorting itself does not reflash the bootloader, certainly flashing an old rom won't.

Very sad. I took pics of the process throughout, but seems like a waste. For anyone else trying this, flip the monitor cable over the edge so the screen is face down and THEN reattach the board. You can't flip it while attached, but you can reattach it once it's flipped. This made shorting, powering on, and holding the battery 10 times easier!!

I think that Knox causes the white screen versus text when trying to flash the VRAMC3 image back.

stopher58

Jun 25, 2010
Yea, if you weren't holding the battery right then the phone wouldn't be turning on, unless you have the USB cable plugged in. I opted not to do so, because when the board gets power it will try and start charging it and wouldn't start the boot looping..

Keep at it, I got mine going on the 3rd attempt to power it up. Make sure your counting exactly to 5, 6 tops. I'm not sure what else to say, but if in the event you can't get the phone reset via micro SD and can't ODIN back, you're stuck :( best of luck.

I have the same issue as unicell, I guess i should just give this all a try and see what happens? I did the exact same thing as him and flashed the FING 7100 bootloader and get stuck in that bootloop and can only get into download mode. I'm so pissed.

hazemsalah

Apr 5, 2013
Hello all,
My phone is locked for flashing stock roms it stucks at modem.bin after trying to flash N7105 4.1.2 stock rom , but i can still run cleanROM v5 without problems, i can run recovery and download mode , install modems from recovery.

I need to restore it , in order to flash MJ9 , and install DN3 rom

is there a way to install i605.img instead of the resistor way.

kkemp31

Mar 1, 2012
I just wanted to share that I just downgraded my bootloader from 4.3.1 to 4 .1 2 going to try to unlock the bootloader when I get home

Feb 4, 2014
grrr

I'm just desperate enough and broke enough to try this. I am on 4.4.2 and I hate it. Especially since I did my backup with titanium and I can't restore without root. So I am willing to try to downgrade this way, so far no luck though.

Couple of questions, did the samsung logo come on first or the red text that said flashing was complete? If the samsung logo came on first how long did it stay on before it switched to the flash complete text?

Either wait I can't seem to get it to do it. I have tried a screw driver and silver solder wire. Any tips would be appreciated. I will post results if there are any. :silly:

jdaproduca

Dec 6, 2010
Downgrade bootloader from 4.3 to 4.1.2

I was successfully able to downgrade my bootloader using this method. I was on locked bootloader and firmware 4.3. After using this method i was able to flash 4.1.2 firmware.

nikitis

Jun 23, 2010
Okay, so I attempted this. My phone is opened right now as I speak. I held the tool, got a white screen, but the screen was on for 2 seconds, and then it booted into 4.4.2. I used the 4.1.2 i605.img file provided by the Original Poster of this thread.

Is it somehow possible that the bootloader was pre-unlocked from the i605.img and boots the 4.4.2 rom because it's not checking the signature? Or did it just fail and nothing has changed? I couldn't see any text, but then I couldn't see the screen all that well at the angle I was doing this at. I'd like to know what you think before i reassemble this phone.

I could reassemble and try to flash a recovery. If it boots custom recovery then I suppose i'm on a 4.1.2 bootloader. If not then I suppose it failed. Would like to know what you think of the white screen for 2 seconds. Do I need to try and keep the white screen on longer? I'm wondering if maybe the white screen was on from shorting but then slipped and it didn't finish? I have no idea.

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Okay, I reassembled. Booted into 4.4.2. Flashed recovery. Then tried to boot into recovery. Got Verizon unauthorized error. Figured maybe signature problem Attempted to odin to 4.1.2. Same error. so I guess this method did not work on a 4.4.2 device. Only choice now is to odin back to 4.4.2.

drarkanex

Did you hard brick your Verizon Note 2? Flashed the wrong boot loader, now you're bootlooping and ODIN can't save you??

Thank you, adding what the screen looks like upon completion of SDCard so people will know what to look for. Use it freely. Thank you again!

Attachments

• sdcard.jpg
    sdcard.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 714
Reactions: mattnmag

GiGaLeOnZa

Nov 3, 2011
Thanks for the pic!

Thank you, adding what the screen looks like upon completion of SDCard so people will know what to look for. Use it freely. Thank you again!

That is EXACTLY what you're looking for, people! Thanks for posting that pic, after booting up my phone I realized I hadn't captured that screenshot and wish I had.

FYI people, I screwed up my phone so many months back with the wrong STOCK ROM. I had the N7105 image that had the bootloader, modem, rom, etc. This will re-write the stock verizon I605 bootloader. You THEN can boot up your phone ODIN flash a stock 4.1.2 full system image for our phones. THEN you can root using Casual, install TWRP recovery again, THEN you can re-flash your ROM backups, custom roms from scratch, etc.

This is not a means to fix just one issue, it is a means to unbrick your fubar'd bootloader back to the stock 4.1.2 bootloader. What you can do from there, or what you plan to do and may succeed/fail at, is unknown as all of our phones are in different states.

It appears at least 3 people have been able to downgrade the bootloader which is pretty cool :) I'm rocking the 6+ since Christmas and my Note 2 is a freshly refurbished Verizon replacement I received right before getting it. Going to sell it and make a couple $$ vs. ripping it apart to see if this can be doneso I won't be able to add any other relevant info to ths thread. I am happy this thread has helped a few people and I look forward to seeing others succeed in repairing and un-bricking their I605's! Good luck to all :)

drarkanex

Did you hard brick your Verizon Note 2? Flashed the wrong boot loader, now you're bootlooping and ODIN can't save you??

Just wanted to say that I was def. hard bricked. What had happened was I flashed a bootloader on my i605 and i didn't check the MD5 on it. was a bad download and I found out the hard way. This fix needs to be made a sticky in case there are some hard bricked note 2's running around. Thing is I flashed the bootloader via odin, after it flashed it, it rebooted my phone to a black screen. Since samsungs are known for their really dark screens, you can't tell if the phone is powered on at all if the bootloader is hosed. There was nothing physically wrong with my phone, just the bootloader was hosed and never flashed anything on the screen. Until I found this post, my phone sat in my drawer for a week. I can't tell you how excited I was when I saw the SDCard mode screen come up because that was the first sign of life i saw out of this phone in a week. I mean, NOTHING came up on the screen prior to this fix. Bootlooping is one thing, if you can get to download mode, you are soft bricked. Mine was def. hard bricked. Thank you again.

FIKRET

Feb 20, 2015
sd card boot

17) Power up your phone and you should be greeted with the "Verizon has detected..." blah blah unauthorized software. AWESOME AND CONGRATS! Pull the battery and boot to Download/ODIN mode.

** NOTE ** I have NO IDEA if you can downgrade during this process, no one in KOBOL's thread had yet to confirm as of this writing. Flash whatever you're coming from, you went this far to Un-brick your phone, why do it again? If you went to 4.3, deal with it ;) and restore 4.3 Coming from 4.1.2? restore 4.1.2 then! Besides SafeStrapping is coming soon

18) Restore your phone with a working ODIN image, whether it be a stock keis image, your favorite ODIN image (root66 ODIN is great) etc. etc.

19) After the ODIN restore is complete, you may boot loop but this is normal, you need a factory reset. Pull battery, boot recovery, do a factory reset. You'll be OK now!

20) BASK IN THE GLORY OF YOUR RESTORED VERIZON GALAXY NOTE 2!

I'm sorry I don't have any of my own pictures, it was nerve-racking enough just to get through this and have enough hands to do it. Waking up my girlfriend so I can ask her "hold the battery just like this..." at 2 AM would have been a bad idea..

MANY, MANY, MAAAANY thanks to KOBOL for engineering this very clever recovery process... I would be out a phone right now or shopping online for JTAG devices. All the while be at work with no phone tomorrow and the next day while I wait for a replacement phone to arrive. To think I have insurance and most likely would have been fine to get a replacement (sent rooted & unlocked phones back several times no issues) I did this all so I wouldn't be without my phone for 36 hours!!

May this guide be helpful to even ONE PERSON... please give thanks, and more importantly, message KOBOL and ask him how to send a donation, I will be doing so myself!

Best of luck to all. :good:

Hello i was trying to do this today with no luck i used some tweezers maybe scredriver is better, did you use just one screw driver and which resistor you need to touch both of them ? It was very great write up man...Also do you remember which of his image files did you use i am little confused i605 i605mj9 or Esf , we need to write just one image to sd card right? do you remember which you used ?

AuztiinAnonX

Apr 23, 2015
SDCARD Mode?

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 i605 with the 4.4.2 nd7 boot loader. How do I enter this SDCARD Mode? I'm highly curious on unlocking my boot loader. This SDCARD Mode caught my interest and I'm hoping to possibly downgrade my boot loader. I just want to run a lollipop ROM and safestrap won't work with those ROMs..

hami497

Aug 5, 2014
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 i605 with the 4.4.2 nd7 boot loader. How do I enter this SDCARD Mode? I'm highly curious on unlocking my boot loader. This SDCARD Mode caught my interest and I'm hoping to possibly downgrade my boot loader. I just want to run a lollipop ROM and safestrap won't work with those ROMs..

U have to short the resistor and prepare your sd card with the bootloader image. Then sd card mode will appear.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

We all know a ton of users who have had this happen to them, I read it all the time. After stumbling upon another post I figured I had a chance. The instructions are clear but I want to build upon them with my own experience.

So first off many, many thanks to KOBOL for posting his guide which is buried below a ton of other posts in this General Section. I wouldn’t have a working phone without his work!

A bit of background info: I flashed a T-Mobile Note 2, 4.3 ODIN Image for My Verizon Note 2 because I wasn't paying attention... All I saw: "4.3 stock/rooted/deodex with 4.1.2 bootloader" (which I have) and "no wifi fix needed & stock kernel running smooth" (I have wifi fix & custom kernel, both which cause constant reboots) SO... I flashed it and boot-looped. "Good job, dumb dumb" I thought to myself as I gazed upon my hard bricked phone. No ODIN restore could get me out of this one, and I tried for 2 hours...

Then I found Kobol's post on unbricking your phone. I read the instructions, I was very confused at first as to how I was going to get this accomplished, so I am writing up this re-tutorial with new instructions. Make sure you have precision screwdrivers, flat and philips head.

Continue to Post #2 to Unbrick your i605!!
    17) Power up your phone and you should be greeted with the "Verizon has detected..." blah blah unauthorized software. AWESOME AND CONGRATS! Pull the battery and boot to Download/ODIN mode.

** NOTE ** I have NO IDEA if you can downgrade during this process, no one in KOBOL's thread had yet to confirm as of this writing. Flash whatever you're coming from, you went this far to Un-brick your phone, why do it again? If you went to 4.3, deal with it ;) and restore 4.3 Coming from 4.1.2? restore 4.1.2 then! Besides SafeStrapping is coming soon

18) Restore your phone with a working ODIN image, whether it be a stock keis image, your favorite ODIN image (root66 ODIN is great) etc. etc.

19) After the ODIN restore is complete, you may boot loop but this is normal, you need a factory reset. Pull battery, boot recovery, do a factory reset. You'll be OK now!

20) BASK IN THE GLORY OF YOUR RESTORED VERIZON GALAXY NOTE 2!

I'm sorry I don't have any of my own pictures, it was nerve-racking enough just to get through this and have enough hands to do it. Waking up my girlfriend so I can ask her "hold the battery just like this..." at 2 AM would have been a bad idea..

MANY, MANY, MAAAANY thanks to KOBOL for engineering this very clever recovery process... I would be out a phone right now or shopping online for JTAG devices. All the while be at work with no phone tomorrow and the next day while I wait for a replacement phone to arrive. To think I have insurance and most likely would have been fine to get a replacement (sent rooted & unlocked phones back several times no issues) I did this all so I wouldn't be without my phone for 36 hours!!

May this guide be helpful to even ONE PERSON... please give thanks, and more importantly, message KOBOL and ask him how to send a donation, I will be doing so myself!

Best of luck to all. :good:
    9) TRICKY PARTS... I flipped the board over to expose the resistor KOBOL shows us to short. ** Picture is in the 1st download for 4.1.2 Bootloader ** I then plugged in the phone's LCD cable (the cable that comes out on the top right when viewed from behind; above where the volume rocker is) The motherboard should be flipped over exposing the resistor, the LCD cable is barely long enough to let the phone housing lie flat beside it, which you don't want. You'll want to prop the sceen vertical so you can see it when you do the next few steps. I used an external drive butted against the front of the screen that had rubber feet so it wouldn't slide and scotch tape.

10) Re-attach the power button/headphone speaker to the motherboard. Also plug in your prepared SD card.

11) Place the battery next to the battery terminals, swing the power button over on top of the battery. With one hand, you should be able to hold the motherboard from sliding while your holding both the battery to the terminals, and the power button to the battery. I did this with my left thumb to hold the motherboard from sliding, my left middle finger holding the battery against the contacts of the motherboard, and my left index finger to push the power button which is on top of the battery.

12) place your smallest precision screwdriver on the resister KOBOL shows you in the picture. Using a screwdriver with the other hand sure beats having to a) solder, good luck! KOBOL is a solder pro and I don't have any soldering irons with tips THAT small, and b) beats using a paper clip or something silly. The screwdriver shorts the resistor with minimal effort. Make sure you apply MILD pressure to the screwdriver to ensure your touching both sides of the resistor's contacts. My screwdriver was exactly the width of the resistor, don't be using grandpa's 1' long screwdriver on that motherboard.

13) READY?!?! OK!! with the resister shorted by the screwdriver in 1 hand, the battery held in place and the power button ready to be pressed in the other... start counting to 5 as soon as you feel the click of that tiny little button. Hold the power button; if you let go, you might slip and now the battery won't be supplying power to the phone, aka this operation will fail.

** Make sure you know how to count to 6 properly, none of this '123456' super-speed counting like we did playing hide and seek growing up. Listen to the tick of a clock if you can or start a timer somewhere. **

14) After counting to 5, remove the screwdriver, I'd suggest keeping the power button held, the phone won't turn off (just like booting the phone for real; holding it after the phone turns on, the phone still turns on right?) And it prevents the battery from disconnecting.

15) If you're lucky, you'll see some text on your screen saying SD something something in red and saying it wrote the file. I was way too excited that this worked and I forgot what it said to be honest. Pretty much it'll be the 1st thing your phone displays that isn't a boot-looping logo!

16) Go ahead and relax. Let the battery disconnect from the board. You can go ahead and semi-reassemble you're phone to test. I placed the board back in the phone housing, plugged in power button/headphone speaker, speaker phone/charing port & circuit, camera, etc... plugged in all wires/connectors, and make sure to put those 2 black screws back in before placing housing back on... (1 for speakerphone/charging port, one for the board)

Post #4
    Instructions for Unbricking Hard-bricked i605

1a) DOWNLOAD THIS - It contains an IMG file you'll need to restore your 4.1.2 Bootloader, also contains 2 pictures of the resistor you'll need to short. More on that later.

1b) The above download is all you need if you're on 4.1.2.If you're on the newer 4.3 MJ9 Bootloader, download this too and use that IMG instead. the 4.1.2 download is necessary because of the pictures. Not 56k friendly. I will edit when KOBOL reviews this and allows me re-upload his pictures as a separate download.

2) Download and install win32diskimager. it'll write those image files to the micro SD card properly. DO NOT JUST DRAG AND DROP THE IMG... YOU MUST WRITE IT WITH AN IMAGING PROGRAM :)

3) Write the downloaded IMG file to the Micro SD using win32diskimager. Select the source and destination, that's it super easy. Make sure Micro SD is at least 2GB. I used a 32GB it was the only one I had and it worked fine, no need for exactly 2GB micro SD.

4) Open phone, no need to completely dismantle to the screen.... many good videos can be found on youtube. Take out every screw you can see and remove the rear outer plastic casing.

5) Once the board is exposed, remove the black screw that holds the speaker assembly to the phone. Remove and place speaker aside.

6) Remove 2nd screw on the right side along the skinny motherboard strip. Remove all wifi connectors/lcd connectors/camera connectors, etc. The motherboard can now be removed completely.

7) Gently remove the speaker/power button, the power button has a mild adhesive to hold it to the phone, as does the headphone speaker. Peel them off and out of the phone.

8) remove the charging port board from the phone housing, that too has adhesive, peel up carefully and place aside. You'll need this outside and plugged into the board eventually as well.

On to Post #3.
    I just wanted to let everyone know that this definitely works to downgrade 4.4.2. I used the 4.1.2 image from the first post. I tried for about an hour to short that resistor with a screwdriver. I couldn't get it to work. At one point I got a screen that said "SD CARD MODE" at the top, but below that it said to press up button to reboot and down button to flash, but the volume up and down buttons didn't do anything. Eventually I cut a small piece of wire and stripped both ends. After about 15 minutes of trying with that, I got it. I saw the same screen that a user posted earlier in the thread. From there I was able to unlock the bootloader, upgrade to TWRP 3, and then install the latest nightly cyanogenmod.