[I9020A] 2.3.6 blocked Tethering?

Matridom

Dec 19, 2010
I've just applied the update for 2.3.6, When tethering either wifi or USB, the 3g icon disappears and i get no connectivity.

What's interesting is that if i use an alternative APN (VPN access point for Telus) I am able to tether without a problem.

I'm suspecting that this is a pre-emptive strike for AT&T who want to charge for tethering.... any ideas anyone?

Matridom

Dec 19, 2010
I just spoke with steve.garon who is using CM7 nightlies. He updated his modem to the one included in this update and is able to tether without a problem, also the search bug appears to be dead with this modem.

So for those who are tethering, might be an idea to skip this update and just apply the modem.

As for myself, since i CAN tether through VPN, I might wait it out. It only took them 3 months to fix the search bug, what's another 3 months?

arshad14

Dec 14, 2009
Toronto
I actually thought I'd modify the original Access Point by adding 'dun' to the list as mentioned by north49. So now I have "default,dun,supl,mms" and it works flawlessly with the original Access Point and tethering.

Edit: I stand corrected. I had to create a complete separate Access Point for it to work.

Last edited:

AndroidUser00110001

Aug 16, 2011
NYC
Copy libsec-ril.so found in system/vendor/lib from 2.3.4 to the 2.3.6 ROM and tethering may work again...

I do not use thethering much so did not try it yet but I believe this may fix the tether issue...

darwoodcdn

Jan 27, 2010
I9020A Tethering blocked here too.

Tried adding dun. No go
Tried creating new APN with Dun - No Go

Monitored using *#*#info#*#* - and noticed when activating hotspot - data goes to att_tether and ping results in Data Not Subscribed.

F*** Att

So.. does anyone have a stock 2.3.4 for Canadian Nexus S that doesn't require Clockwork recovery? I can't seem to downgrade using any of the signed versions I've found. Signature failures etc etc.

Thanks

Matridom

Dec 19, 2010
I9020A Tethering blocked here too.

Tried adding dun. No go
Tried creating new APN with Dun - No Go

Monitored using *#*#info#*#* - and noticed when activating hotspot - data goes to att_tether and ping results in Data Not Subscribed.

F*** Att

So.. does anyone have a stock 2.3.4 for Canadian Nexus S that doesn't require Clockwork recovery? I can't seem to downgrade using any of the signed versions I've found. Signature failures etc etc.

Thanks
You will need cwm to downgrade.

Sent from my Nexus S

robbyvoid

Nov 8, 2010
1) Create new access point, for example “Tethering”

2) Copy all the settings from your primary APN you use for internet access

3) Set APN type to “default,dun”

When you want to tether, select your new APN and then enable hotspot function.
Can somebody explain me the technical background, why this fix the bug?
What does ',dun' means?

primal2005

Apr 21, 2011
Toronto
I've applied 2.3.6 and the tethering changes but I have a question... Does Nexus S tethering share the Wi-Fi connection or only the 3G connection?

When I enable 'Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot' it turns off the wifi on my Nexus S and jumps over to 3G.

I don't remember it doing that before... although I only tested it briefly to see if it worked so I didn't pay attention to what network it was actually using. I also don't remember having to select the specific APN for tethering either from my settings (On my Rogers Phone I have 1 APN for internet use and 1 APN for tethering)

Thanks!

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone