[i9305][KERNEL][LOS14.1][BOEFFLA]UNOFFICIAL Boeffla Kernel ported to i9305

Search This thread

Oswald Boelcke

Forum Moderator / Recognized Translator
Staff member
@noc.jfcbs Oic, thanks for the clarification... so once installed boeffla-kernel-6.1 beta, mdm_hsic_pm0 wakelock will improve automatically , you didn't tweak anything with boeffla config app, right?
Negative, this is not true. By my information there's not a single application around that allows to handle/decrease kernel wakelocks. If you're unhappy with specific kernel wakelocks I only see two changes: To either change the kernel and try a different one, or to manipulate the environment in that the device is working. Example: As I stated here I was able to decrease the mdm_...-wakelock by manipulating my WiFi setup.
Boeffla Config App (as nearly all other kernel configuration applications do e.g. Kernel Adiutor (KA), 3C Toolbox, AGNi control; just their GUIs are different) allows to select specific governors that come with the respective kernel, to select profiles that come with the respective governor, to change max and min frequencies for the CPU, to change the frequency "band" for GPU, to manipulate the voltage for CPU and GPU, and much more. Boeffla Config App (KA doesn't) gives you the possibility to use presets.

We all have different expectations and requirements how our devices are supposed to behave. We all use the same device absolutely differently and in different configurations. For this reason, it's absolutely normal that my i9305 might have a higher (or lower, whatever) battery drainage than your i9305. Saying that, no, I didn't tweak my kernel. My experiences with tweaking tools like LSpeed or Gov Tuner Project (if interested search XDA) are poor. I didn't achieve less drainage with them, just the opposite. And I didn't wonder as these tools do not consider my expectations, requirements, utilisation of my device and its configuration. For this reason, I refrain and are going to refrain from any further use of these tools.

No, I didn't tweak the kernel but I modified its settings to my personal requirements - and it was a long way to go, actually most of the time by try and error. If I have to guess it took me more than half a year to find my current settings, and it included crashes, unintended reboots, frozen screens, black screens etc. Occasionally, I "published" my settings and experiences in the RR thread (both sections), on some kernel threads (e.g. the AGNi thread from my former RR v5.7.x times), or in one of my own threads. A search might bring you there; however, I firmly believe you have to find your own preferences but while trying, always ensure you have a current Nandroid backup (in the past, there were times when I went into TWRP daily to take a backup).

RR is a great rom, but I'm having seriously drain issues... in LOS 14.1 u can set the battery Performance profile
to power save, balance or performance, this section seems to be missing from the RR rom. I found using balance profile on LOS 14.1, the battery has dramatically improved.
I've no experiences with LOS i.e. can't comment. But in RR settings, you'll find the section "performance" (just above "about the phone") that takes you into KA (if installed or not frozen like on my device). And as stated above, KA allows you to modify the kernek settings including the governor profiles; however, there aren't any profiles like the tweaking tools offer and as you've mentioned.

rodman01

Recognized Themer / Contributor
Apr 25, 2012
Allgäu
new update: 6.1-beta2 latest changes from andip71 merged

New update with latest, merged commits from Andip is compiled.
Its booting with new AICP rom, but beside of that, I haven't tested magisk (commit of safety net pass), boeffla config app and kernel adiutor app.
If someone will do this, feel free and report back :).

So download and have fun.
boeffla-kernel-6.1-beta2-stratonz_beta8-i9305.zip: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=889764386195930591

Sources: https://github.com/rodman01/boeffla-kernel-i9305-lineage-14.1/commits/stratonz_los14, taken from and credits to: https://github.com/stratonz/boeffla-kernel-i9305-lineage-14.1/tree/stratonz_los14

Last edited:

Oswald Boelcke

Staff member
New update with latest, merged commits from Andip is compiled.
Its booting with new AICP rom, but beside of that, I haven't tested magisk (commit of safety net pass), boeffla config app and kernel adiutor app.
If someone will do this, feel free and report back :).

So download and have fun.
boeffla-kernel-6.1-beta2-stratonz_beta8-i9305.zip: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=889764386195930591

Sources: https://github.com/rodman01/boeffla-kernel-i9305-lineage-14.1/commits/stratonz_los14, taken from and credits to: https://github.com/stratonz/boeffla-kernel-i9305-lineage-14.1/tree/stratonz_los14
boeffla-kernel-6.1-beta2-stratonz_beta8-i9305 flash over RR-N-v5.8.4-20170808.
Initial observation very good! No issues during flashing or reboot (latter really fast). Magisk v14 did stuck (didn't expect anything else).
Boeffla Config App and Kernel Adiutor working; however, as Boeffla Config works, which I rather use than KA, I didn't dig into details of KA.
I do not intend to waste time on SafetyNet Check as it always failed for me and I'm actually not interested in it at all. I hope to get your understanding.
This kernel looks so good that I'm going to flash the other i9305, today too. Remark: Simultaneously upgrade to NanoMod v14.0.

EDIT @rodman01: As both Ferrari are out, I'd time to try the SafetyNet check while watching BL.
SELinux at strict/enforcing. Magisk v14, Magisk hide enabled, Magisk Manager v5.3.0, microG SafetyNet check enabled, system rooted.
When initiating the check, Magisk Manager announces to be unable to conduct the test and questions if internet is available. I can confirm internet access via WiFi is available and the firewall did not deny access.
TL&DR: SafetyNet check cannot be performed.

EDIT (2017-09-18) @rodman01: Really decent battery life. Please find attached a BBS idle dump taken over 25 hours; however, the dump wasn't taken from full charge but from boot.
Level lost [%]: Bat.: -4%(85% to 81%) [0,2%/h]
Deep Sleep (): 23 h 38 m 29 s 94,0%
Awake (Screen Off) (): 23 m 49 s 1,6%
Wifi On (): 22 h 32 m 9 s 89,6%
Wifi Running (): 22 h 32 m 9 s 89,6%
Sync (): 17 s 0,0%

BTW: I'm going to flash your "new" SLIM in a moment. Is this kernel working with Slim? Anyhow, I just give it a try. Do you have an own thread regarding this Slim to report back? [UPDATE] Kernel seems not to work with Slim. Reboot only goes up to Samsung Logo, then absolutely black screen, no hardware lights, nothing. Device seems to be dead.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170917-115522.png
    Screenshot_20170917-115522.png
    196.4 KB · Views: 268
  • Screenshot_20170917-120151.png
    Screenshot_20170917-120151.png
    119.9 KB · Views: 262
  • Screenshot_20170917-120222.png
    Screenshot_20170917-120222.png
    98.1 KB · Views: 262
  • BetterBatteryStats-2017-09-18_130409482.txt
    102.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

olekmat15

Mar 21, 2016
Stalowa wola
I have a few questions:

Where is the kernel more stable / better on LOS 14.1 or on RR?

And what soft is better LOS 14.1 or RR because I do not use LOS much longer and do not know how it works now or is it worthwhile to switch from RR to LOS?

by translator Google

Reactions: tinko975

Oswald Boelcke

Staff member
Works good with latest AICP. Which version of borffla config apk to use?
I always use the latest version issued by Lord Boeffla - and available via his website. If enabled the apk reminds you of a new version. And I suggest to donate to Lord Boeffla in order to take advantage of the pro version and to support the continuous develpment by Andi.
Resurrection Remix® N v5.8.5 final kernel link?
The version linked just a few posts earlier works perfectly with RR v5.8.5, or did I missunderstand something?

tinko975

Dec 3, 2013
Zagreb
i installed latest latest 2.5.0.0 app and it have no preconfigured profiles like older had.. gaming, powersave, optimal, standard, battery yant etc..

Oswald Boelcke

Staff member
i installed latest latest 2.5.0.0 app and it have no preconfigured profiles like older had.. gaming, powersave, optimal, standard, battery yant etc..
You didn't read the changelog. Andi removed that intentionally, and he explained why.

Reactions: tinko975

netready

Sep 5, 2007
@cooledi to add to what noc.jfcbs has said apart from changing kernel some say changing modem can improve the mdm hsic pm0 wakelock (mdm is short for modem) I'm lucky on my Telstra i9305t modem I never get it above 2 percent

Hi DJ, I have a Telstra i9305T also. I am running Resurrection Remix® N v5.8.5 final and am about to install the Boeffla kernel @rodman01 concocted. Just wondering which modem you have found to be the best on the Telstra network? I am currently using XXUFOA1 which is for the unlettered i9305 but seems to be working fine. I'm about to try out the DVUEOK1 which is a Telstra modem to see if it's any better. Thanks.

Oswald Boelcke

Staff member
Hi DJ, I have a Telstra i9305T also. I am running Resurrection Remix® N v5.8.5 final and am about to install the Boeffla kernel @rodman01 concocted. Just wondering which modem you have found to be the best on the Telstra network? I am currently using XXUFOA1 which is for the unlettered i9305 but seems to be working fine. I'm about to try out the DVUEOK1 which is a Telstra modem to see if it's any better. Thanks.
If you search the RR-N Q&A section for the keyword "modem" you're going to find some interesting exchange among our Australian friends @DJ aliasz3d and @erosco (and certainly me) regarding this subject.

DJ aliasz3d

Jan 17, 2013
perth
Yes as @noc.jfcbs stated it's in the RR qa thread a lot but I use the XSA CSC one which is dvueoh2 I think for i9305ts that came Sim unlocked and not through a carrier

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone