Ice cream sandwich Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Masinac

Sep 26, 2009
Why there's no ICS?

I was surfing the web when I realised that our Optimus 3D can't be the only phone using TI OMAP 4430 chipset,so I started searching for other phones that uses same chipset and I found few.
Then I went to xda, found their sections, went under "Development" and found out that every single one of them already has some ICS ROM.

Here's some phones I found :

Motorola Droid 3 ................................ [Development] .................... ICS ROM's ---> [ROM] [ROM] [ROM] [ROM] [ROM] [ROM]
Motorola DROID BIONIC .................... [Development] .................... ICS ROM's ---> [ROM] [ROM] [ROM]
Motorola Atrix 2 ................................ [Development] .................... ICS ROM's ---> [ROM]
Motorola Droid RAZR ......................... [Development] .................... ICS ROM's ---> [ROM] [ROM] [ROM] [ROM]

My question here is :
Would it be really so hard to port some of these ROM's? I mean we have some good developers here that could do that, has anyone ever tried to do something like that?

Trekfan422991

Dec 1, 2009
wix.com
Having a base for matching CPU architecture is only one step. We have basebands and kernels that differ greatly from these devices...
I'm not saying its impossible but it would be more feasible to port ics from another similarly equivalent LG phone running it. And if we do that... any 3d functionality will be improbable

Reactions: amirgoodi

Masinac

Sep 26, 2009
I know that basebands are not the same,but right now we don't have any similar LG device running ICS ,so that Motorola's are the best that we have at the moment :) .. I think some dev should try to port that ,who know's maybe it will work..but one thing is for sure, We won't know until someone tries to do it

I know that basebands are not the same,but right now we don't have any similar LG device running ICS ,so that Motorola's are the best that we have at the moment :) .. I think some dev should try to port that ,who know's maybe it will work..but one thing is for sure, We won't know until someone tries to do it

LG gx2 is similar and has an ics rom, as well as the Optimus 2x.

Sent from my LG-P925 using xda premium

Meemo23

Nov 17, 2010
Under my bed...
I was surfing the web when I realised that our Optimus 3D can't be the only phone using TI OMAP 4430 chipset,so I started searching for other phones that uses same chipset and I found few.
Then I went to xda, found their sections, went under "Development" and found out that every single one of them already has some ICS ROM.

Here's some phones I found :

Motorola Droid 3 ................................ [Development] .................... ICS ROM's ---> [ROM] [ROM] [ROM] [ROM] [ROM] [ROM]
Motorola DROID BIONIC .................... [Development] .................... ICS ROM's ---> [ROM] [ROM] [ROM]
Motorola Atrix 2 ................................ [Development] .................... ICS ROM's ---> [ROM]
Motorola Droid RAZR ......................... [Development] .................... ICS ROM's ---> [ROM] [ROM] [ROM] [ROM]

My question here is :
Would it be really so hard to port some of these ROM's? I mean we have some good developers here that could do that, has anyone ever tried to do something like that?

Porting isn't easy when you don't have a abase to work with at all and gingerbread base sucks and is ultra hard to take files over to the ported rom as it is completely different from ics architecture.. if you do manage to get it booting good luck fixing all the errors it's going to be mayhen trying to fix it here and the lack of support from actual Manufactures them selfs gives us no hopes..

Trekfan422991

Dec 1, 2009
wix.com
Porting isn't easy when you don't have a abase to work with at all and gingerbread base sucks and is ultra hard to take files over to the ported rom as it is completely different from ics architecture.. if you do manage to get it booting good luck fixing all the errors it's going to be mayhen trying to fix it here and the lack of support from actual Manufactures them selfs gives us no hopes..

That's why its best to wait for a device that can closest match ours. One we might be able to wait for is ics for the optimus 3d 2... that thing is almost exactly the same... and it already will have 3d capabilities we should have no problem porting that one

botson71

Jul 31, 2007
Personally, I'm very hesitant if the release of ICS from LG will work flawlessly on our phone. The upgrade from Froyo to Gingerbread is a small step in technical terms than the upgrade from Gingerbread to Froyo.

So if LG managed to mess up the "simple" upgrade from Froyo to GB, by introducing the infamous ghost-calls bug, I don't even want to think what will happen when they release the ICS rom.

And not to forget, that the ghost-calls issue appeared almost 5 months ago and still there is not an official word from LG. If they are not able to fix a single bug in 5 months, I'm not sure how they can release a brand new rom until September/December.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New Hopes!

Guys we have new hopes,

Lately LG said this: theverge. com/2012/5/30/3051806/lg-optimus-lte-tag-vu-ics-upgrade-june

And short after they rolled out ics for optimus lte as promised
    theverge. com/2012/6/2/3059367/lg-optimus-lte-android-4-0-update-korea

So this indicates that LG finaly keeps to his promises! :D
    Ghost call issue was a bad luck, anyone can dislike LG because of that i can accept that. But there is no longer ghost call, and many people says "oh, im not buying lg anymore because they didnt release ICS for O3D yet." I think that's bullshit, even if ics came what would change? when it came, they would begin start with something else.
    its coming...

i emailed LG the other day to see about V21E coming to the UK, and the support guy odly answered this question instead. Here's the email:

Thank you for your email regarding the P920 handset.

Based on the information you have provided me with and reading through your query, I would like to apologise for the issues you are experiencing with your handset , however i would advise that ICS update for the P920 will available from September , as our developers are working to make the software bug-free when released. It is currently in the testing phase.

seems that we should hopefuly know soon!
    This thread has become more of a 'hate LG' thread than anything else. People simply assume we won't get ics, they keep complaining about how LG is **** and how other brands are better.

This complaining isn't going to get anyone anywhere. It's useless.

Here's the deal. Ricardo seems to be working on gingerbread for now. I'm sure that once 7.2 stable is released, work will continue on CM 9. I believe the drivers etc. can simply be ported without too much effort.

If Ricardo works on our device after 7.2 stable, I don't think it will take extremely long until the first CM 9 nightly.

Sent from my LG-P920 using XDA
    Unless someone sees a reason to keep this thread open, I'll close it. Please pm me if you disagree.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone