Search This thread

Hasuris

May 13, 2013
try newer builds. those perform very well, when phone app is cached it also opens immediately, otherwise it takes perhaps 1 sec. greenify helps a lot to prevent other apps from slowing down your phone... what is the main culprit, because ICS/JB needs more RAM than GB... where this also can happen with lots of apps open.

when you don't need BT i recommend cm10.1, the latest build from 07-09 is blazing fast! not comparable with older builds from 2012... that indeed have been kind of slow in certain situations...

The last build I used was CM10 3.07.2013. I tried them all, doesn't really make a difference. I greenify the s*** out of my phone, always. But you can't do anything about the OS that is slowing down the phone. The newer the androidversion is, the more weight it puts on the hardware. Makes sense when you take the rapid development of the androidphones into account. We have quadcorephones now with 2gb ram, and the current OS is build with these phones in mind. Don't now about CM10.2 but I red it needs even more ram than previous CMs, so I really don't see, how this could be any better. I don't care how "snappy" I can scroll between homescrees. My phone has to be fast at opening apps. The more memory there is to do that, the better.

Shubhamqweasd

Jun 25, 2011
DELHI
actually more ram doesn't mean faster UI or faster opening apps ..
the OS has to be optimized for the hardware ..
several phones with just 512MB ram have super smooth JB running ,some even has official support ...
the thing is , 4.x.x roms are not optimized for OMAP3 hardware because , there is no kernel 3.x working on it , it takes many components like hwcomposer ,ION etc.. to make it work good..

campo8558

Mar 17, 2013
Ok guys, a big problem. I try to flash the rom but anything works. I follow this guide. So i flashed before the nightly from http://defy.wdscript.fr/defyplus-cm9/ then the kernel ( CM9-ICS-MR0-111207-jordan-KERNEL-2.3.4-Quarx.zip ) and the I flashed again the CM9 nightly and the gapps. But the phone gave me a bootloader error and it stops. what can I do ?

Ok, I reflashed the sbf file with RSD. Everything ok now. So, where I went wrong ?

Last edited:

niksy+

Jan 16, 2012
Ok guys, a big problem. I try to flash the rom but anything works. I follow this guide. So i flashed before the nightly from http://defy.wdscript.fr/defyplus-cm9/ then the kernel ( CM9-ICS-MR0-111207-jordan-KERNEL-2.3.4-Quarx.zip ) and the I flashed again the CM9 nightly and the gapps. But the phone gave me a bootloader error and it stops. what can I do ?

Ok, I reflashed the sbf file with RSD. Everything ok now. So, where I went wrong ?

"...from Froyo stock" says the guide. Were you on Froyo stock?

Anyway, what build have you tried flashing? Walter79'2 build is recommended. It uses the 2ndBoot kernel that is contained within the ROM and is therefore the easiest to flash. You just need that build and the correct gapps zip. No additional fixes (kernels etc) needed.

If you read the last page, though, you would know that there's an update that fixes some important bugs coming from him soon, so maybe you should wait for that ;)

campo8558

Mar 17, 2013
"...from Froyo stock" says the guide. Were you on Froyo stock?

Anyway, what build have you tried flashing? Walter79'2 build is recommended. It uses the 2ndBoot kernel that is contained within the ROM and is therefore the easiest to flash. You just need that build and the correct gapps zip. No additional fixes (kernels etc) needed.

If you read the last page, though, you would know that there's an update that fixes some important bugs coming from him soon, so maybe you should wait for that ;)

No I'm on Gingerbread, but I asked ( here ). Where is Walter792 build ? I flashed the last nightly, taken from here . I need a stable ROM, because the phone isn't mine, but it's a gift for my girlfriend.

niksy+

Jan 16, 2012
No I'm on Gingerbread, but I asked ( here ). Where is Walter792 build ? I flashed the last nightly, taken from here . I need a stable ROM, because the phone isn't mine, but it's a gift for my girlfriend.

You can find his build in his SkyDrive ( https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=b688...B688C895D58E70D4!266&authkey=!AILWEgk88UP71_s )

There's a bug currently that if the battery goes down to 0% you can't charge it, it won't boot. But he said that's fixed and that he's working on a new build currently.

Not my business, but have you considered some of the MIUI GB ROM's? Although my girl doesn't like MIUI one bit... But that's irrelevant, I guess.

I can't help you more on the CM9 issue, since I'm not using it (and I haven't been for the past year now, ever since CM10 showed up), so I don't really remember which build is what, but as I said, I know walter's is 2ndBoot and I know that people really like it, at least from the comments :)

If you've got questions on non-CM9 stuff, feel free to pm me, I guess :silly:

campo8558

Mar 17, 2013
You can find his build in his SkyDrive ( https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=b688...B688C895D58E70D4!266&authkey=!AILWEgk88UP71_s )

There's a bug currently that if the battery goes down to 0% you can't charge it, it won't boot. But he said that's fixed and that he's working on a new build currently.

Not my business, but have you considered some of the MIUI GB ROM's? Although my girl doesn't like MIUI one bit... But that's irrelevant, I guess.

I can't help you more on the CM9 issue, since I'm not using it (and I haven't been for the past year now, ever since CM10 showed up), so I don't really remember which build is what, but as I said, I know walter's is 2ndBoot and I know that people really like it, at least from the comments :)

If you've got questions on non-CM9 stuff, feel free to pm me, I guess :silly:

MIUI, I've never used. I'll try. if it were up to me, I don't change anything, but the phone with the ROM stock has some problem. it has random reboot when mobile data is enabled, and it's totally unusable. So a new ROM it's the only way to fix the problem...I hope.

Cheers,
Stefano.

MIUI, I've never used. I'll try. if it were up to me, I don't change anything, but the phone with the ROM stock has some problem. it has random reboot when mobile data is enabled, and it's totally unusable. So a new ROM it's the only way to fix the problem...I hope.

Cheers,
Stefano.
Best option would be MIUI GB (Pikachu Edition might be a good one) or MS2Ginger, considering it's for a person without CFW knowledge. I flashed MS2Ginger on a friend's girlfriend phone a couple months ago (was on stock froyo) and she haven't complained since, actually said it was great when I asked. For stability and stuff, GB-based ROMs are the best, though I haven't had any issues with my Defy in CM9 (was on 10.1 for over a year, but reverted back to CM9, after trying several ROMs, since I got a new phone and my Defy turned into a secondary phone). I'd keep an eye for the update @niksy+ said, though, since more and more apps on Play Store are requiring 4.0+ now, and 4.3 is already out there (lots of apps usually support about 3-4 Android versions older than the latest one, because they need the most recent API version they can while keeping compatibility with most phones - 4.0+ represents over 60% of Android now, while Gingerbread and earlier versions stand up for the rest of these, GB with over 30%)

Hasuris

May 13, 2013
@walter79 can increase the volume steps from 15 to 30 or more? It's the only complaint I have with this rom. I can't set the volume for the headphones right, it's either too high or too low. I tried to adjust the steps myself in the framework.jar but so far no luck.

Edit: nevermind, got it working. Now the rom is perfect!

Last edited:
Just want to ask...

Would it be possible for Defy to get 4.X+? Or this'd only be a UI upgrade?

I think you've mistaken a new Android version for the updates provided on the official channels. We obviously need some files (like some drivers and etc) which are the same as the ones used in 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 (because there aren't newer versions of them), but we do have Android 4.x in our phones, with full (or nearly full) functionality. As far as I know, all the goodies introduced in ICS are here on CM9, the same for CM10. For 10.1+, we have a few limitations: photo sphere, i.e., will never work, because the Defy has no gyroscope (needed for PS to work properly), but any device without gyroscope which has official 4.2 (if there are any) also won't be able to produce photo spheres either. Some other limitations go to the lack of up-to-date drivers, or because our devices don't have (officially) a 3.x kernel. But, as much as hardware and software (including the ones created by our always hardworking devs, like Quarx, Blechd0se and many others, without any help from Motorola - like the new WiFi drivers used in most of 4.1+ ROMs around here) allow, we do have 4.x on our devices. I'm not quite sure KitKat will be available because the Defy is kinda old now (almost on its 3rd birthday party), and many devs prefer to focus their work on devices with better official support and newer ones with hardware able to handle all the new features being introduced by each version, but we can always have hope.
You can be sure Motorola won't provide any new updates to your Defy, but the independent devs community will give you some support while they can.

Sent using XDA for Android

Reactions: runeupo

rekcah_ogami

May 2, 2011
I think you've mistaken a new Android version for the updates provided on the official channels. We obviously need some files (like some drivers and etc) which are the same as the ones used in 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 (because there aren't newer versions of them), but we do have Android 4.x in our phones, with full (or nearly full) functionality. As far as I know, all the goodies introduced in ICS are here on CM9, the same for CM10. For 10.1+, we have a few limitations: photo sphere, i.e., will never work, because the Defy has no gyroscope (needed for PS to work properly), but any device without gyroscope which has official 4.2 (if there are any) also won't be able to produce photo spheres either. Some other limitations go to the lack of up-to-date drivers, or because our devices don't have (officially) a 3.x kernel. But, as much as hardware and software (including the ones created by our always hardworking devs, like Quarx, Blechd0se and many others, without any help from Motorola - like the new WiFi drivers used in most of 4.1+ ROMs around here) allow, we do have 4.x on our devices. I'm not quite sure KitKat will be available because the Defy is kinda old now (almost on its 3rd birthday party), and many devs prefer to focus their work on devices with better official support and newer ones with hardware able to handle all the new features being introduced by each version, but we can always have hope.
You can be sure Motorola won't provide any new updates to your Defy, but the independent devs community will give you some support while they can.

Sent using XDA for Android

Thanks for the reply. I understand that even though I really don't want to let go of my Defy - since I believe I'm one of the few who had this since it's launch - it will be topped off by some new phone with better hardware.

I was just concerned about apps that need 4.X to work. Like this one --- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1282900

I'm actually okay with the ROM that I'm using, (CM7.2.0-RC0-Defy-KANG) but of course, if it so happens that I need to update it just for the sake of using 4.X apps, then I'm willing to give it a shot.

prashob131

Nov 19, 2012
Kerala
I need a Rom with good battery backup...which one should i choose cm9.1 or cm 10 ? or any other ? someone please reply...

Currently on whiteRabbit getting good battery backup but some apps needs ICS+ :(

Da Avenger

Oct 8, 2012
Gotham
www.dropbox.com
Asphalt 7 not working :/

When i start Asphalt 7,its just stuck at the loading screen,doesn't move forward :(
Is there some i can do to make it work?

:confused: :confused:

I need a Rom with good battery backup...which one should i choose cm9.1 or cm 10 ? or any other ? someone please reply...

Currently on whiteRabbit getting good battery backup but some apps needs ICS+ :(

Battery life is pretty good for me (defy+ with 1650 mah battery) on this ROM compared to CM10 after i applied battery fix by walter. :good:

Reactions: prashob131

Hasuris

May 13, 2013

Batterylife is decent. Just don't let your phone forceshutdown with low battery, it won't charge again. It's a bug of walters Kernel, that is already fixed in ms2ginger.

Reactions: prashob131

prashob131

Nov 19, 2012
Kerala
Battery life is pretty good for me (defy+ with 1650 mah battery) on this ROM compared to CM10 after i applied battery fix by walter. :good:

I have read all the pages in this thread from last november and it looks like there is another cm 9 build by walter named CM-9.1.0-jordan-UNOFFICIAL-2013-5-24 of walter79 whats the difference between walters and Epslon's? now i am really confused :confused: , not much detail about walters build in this thread.
so walters battery fix is needed for Epsylons CM9.1 ?

Batterylife is decent. Just don't let your phone forceshutdown with low battery, it won't charge again. It's a bug of walters Kernel, that is already fixed in ms2ginger.

which cm9 have this battery problem,, Epsylons or walters? , I have defy plus so which build should i install?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Screenshot_2012-05-08.png
    Screenshot_2012-07-05-17-37-48%255B1%255D.png
    2011%2B-%2B1
    Screenshot_2012-05-08-10-58-59.png

2012%2B-%2B1
    2012%2B-%2B1
    2011%2B-%2B1
    11%2B-%2B2
    11%2B-%2B1

Download Links: http://tanguy.forumdoandroid.com

DONE:
    :cool: Startup, bootmenu and recovery
    24-11 ;) Touchscreen and keypad (multitouch too)
    24-11 :) Usb
    25-11 ;) New Network (netfilter) kernel modules (quota2, and fake qtaguid to enhance)
    26-11 :p wifi
    29-11 :D Fix egl configuration and colors
    29-11 =) Hardware accelerated ui
    29-11 :) Phone data
    30-11 :) Play the videos made with defy camera on CM7
    30-11 :) Fix sound and phone audio
    01-12 :) Fix Webkit (Browser), add Defy Parts, "reboot bootmenu" and "reboot recovery" (command line and UI menu)
    02-12 :) Fix orientation sensor, (but keep the launcher in landscape for the moment)
    02-12 :) Backuptool on update (keep market, baseband etc)
    05-12 :) Launcher (and lockscreen) in portrait mode... with auto rotate
    05-12 :( New bug (same bootloop as CM7)... but fixed by a temporary script until we get more info, the ICS one is on every boot ! but happens only since friday evening
    --> will fix also the CM7 bootloop
    06-12 :) Phone & Wifi fixed, 2D/3D acceleration fully fonctionnal on 2.3.4+ kernels
    07-12 :) Video support (youtube and gallery player)
    08-12 :) Fix proximity and light sensor for 2.3.x kernels
    09-12 USB fixes, updated some kernel modules, first steps for camera (still doesnt works)
    10-12 USB Theme, Baseband switcher is now in Defy Parts
    11-12 Torch and FileManager's come back, Defy Parts in System Settings... Some more Launcher2 options from upcomming "Trebuchet" (CM9 fork)
    13-12 Defy Parts Icon, Terminal Emulator enhancements, Duplicated Ringtones

20-12 Android ICS 4.0.3. After a lot of new bugs, build should be fine. Launcher2 can be buggy and performance is not better than 13 dec one. But, charger mode is fixed.
    23-12 MP3/AAC hardware acceleration (Quarx)
    23-12 Trebuchet grid size
    23-12 Adb fixes and Adb over network
    23-12 Power widgets
    23-12 Since 4.0.3 Wifi has problems to be re-enabled... no error log yet to understand the problem...

10-01 Sim pin unlock is now working (thanks to nadlabak, Droid, sholes maintainer)
    12-01 CMStats, New device settings style, new gb wifi module (still buggy)

18-02 Microphone fix, All french settings translations (except Trebuchet), core uevent and sysinit fixes... Refreshed Bootmenu Recovery
    Basic Wifi tether (allow to switch between wifi kernel modules without lock), There are still problems to attribute the ip, a manual command set it : ifconfig tiap0 <ip> [up]
    20-02 Wifi and Bluetooth Tethering (multiple clients supported) :) Wifi requires WPA2 or Open (WPA1 is buggy)
    21-02 FM Radio :) Thanks to Quarx for the last fix :)
    01-03 Camera Preview works... still require some tuning
    04-03 First Camera videos with OMX encoder (memory problems after 7 seconds)
    05-03 :) Camera videos fully working
    29-03 Android 4.0.4
    28-04 open source tiap_drv module finally working
    07-05 Barcode scanner working, camcorder is less buggy (maniac103 is back !)
    07-05 Theme support
    08-05 HWUI Shaders (thanks to nadlabak, the Motorola Milestone maintainer)
    08-05 Render Effects Preview
    14-05 HWUI working on froyo kernel (less bugs than defy+ kernel)
    14-05 Published in XDA News
    26-05 New Usage stats xt_owner2/xt_qtaguid is now working...
    06-06 New modules: ext4 filesystem support, ipv6 netfilter modules
    01-07 New klogger module to extend the logcat buffer size + "logcat -b kernel"
    05-07 Full HWUI even for Chrome and panorama ! (thanks to nadlabak again for his SGX stack reloader) -- CM9 RC1 incoming soon
    11-07 OMX Codecs are back, Fix Romupdater (v2.08) problems, related to ICS StrictMode
    16-11 Now supports custom kernels with "2nd-boot" profile in bootmenu... This profile on Defy and Defy+ builds is also compatible with the Green lens Defy users

CM9 Changelog: http://changelog.bbqdroid.org/

HOWTO: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1756234 (thanks to suttaroom)

TODO:
    Enhance Wifi Tether stability

MORE INFOS
    ICS status (XDA Wiki)

Google apps pour ICS 4.0.4 : http://goo.im/gapps

* (Require a Data Wipe, will not fully work with the old google account from cm7)

cmrabbit.png
    quarx.png

BUGS REPORT ON THIS THREAD PLEASE : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1381887
    maybe a new hope :

+nadlabak: Epsylon3: I've got it! SGX PVR 1.8 running despite the locked milestone kernel :D
    yes, like for CM10 ... JB is a kind of Cleanup of ICS which was very experimental.... Its always better the second time, but not all features are merged yet in main CM repos... but almost all...

So we are making a common repo for Defy and Defy+ also, and only this version will have official support... CM9 is already dead ;p
    I suppose the image means that the hack in the DEFY's kernel to replace the PVR code is a success. Damn... I was hopeful, but this is beyond expectations! Great job devs!

To be honest though, I'm not in a hurry to jump to ICS, it still has many bugs that don't exist in CM7.2, like some issues with the Data connection and WiFi issues I've been reading here in these forums. Maybe by Fall or Winter this year it will be stable enough for picky users like me ;).

I was expecting problems, but no, that solve almost all problems without any other change !

I think CM9 will be replaced by CM10, like Froyo after Eclair ... Time will tell us