Idea for grocery list app

Search This thread

sfreemanoh

Oct 20, 2008
Ok, I thought of this idea for a new grocery list app, but since I have zero programming experience (nor the desire to learn...I know enough to know it's not my cup of tea), I figured I would throw it out there and see if anyone who was capable would be interested in doing it.

Basically, it would be an app that included barcode scanning capabilities (or an interface with an existing barcode scanner app). When you open a new grocery list, you can scan barcodes directly into it to add new items to the list, or just manually enter new items, and adjust the amount. Also, a GPS integration that allows you to tag the stores you frequent, and then automatically pops up the list (along with some sort of audible alert) when you get to the store.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that not only frequently forgets to create shopping lists, but then tends to forget the list itself when I decide to go to the store (not to mention almost always forgetting at least one item).

I would definitely buy an app like this if it's ever released. Thoughts?

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
There at at LEAST half a dozen grocery apps on the Market which scan the barcodes and populate your list from that data.

Haven't seen any which tie to the GPS, but considering what they'd need to do in order to do that, I don't see that as a very useful function honestly. Besides, I drive by my grocery every time I leave the house, I wouldn't want my grocery list popping up on top of Waze every time, personally.

sfreemanoh

Oct 20, 2008
Well, not all of us drive on our grocery store sidewalks...but yeah, I see your point. If it would take too much effort to include just the additional GPS notification portion, it's not worth it. Like I said, zero programming experience, so I have no clue what would be involved in programming that sort of functionality.

Izkata

Aug 2, 2010
Chicago
Haven't seen any which tie to the GPS, but considering what they'd need to do in order to do that, I don't see that as a very useful function honestly.

There is one that uses location information, although I don't remember if it uses GPS or the rough-location. It takes your list and compares it to nearby stores to get the prices.

I think the name had "Savvy" in it, like "Savvy Shopper" or something.

Sep 3, 2010
I use dropbox, I place a txt file in dropbox folder on my pc and I can fill it in when I remember something and when shopping I can access latest list.

Also handy if my girlfriend remembers something when I have left, she can add it
can also access from work....

duckredbeard

Aug 21, 2010
GroceryIQ does most of what you want, excepting the GPS function. I use Tasker to launch GroceryIQ when I pull into the parking lot of my frequent stores. Another benefit of GroceryIQ is that you can edit your list on the internet using any web browser, when you do so, your list is updated on your device also. Tracks history, so you can look at previous purchases to reference for list compliation.

And yes, it has a barcode scanner function. You must have Barcode Scanner app installed. It does not have a database for storebranded items, but you can add them manually.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
GroceryIQ is what I currently use... even though it's slow as balls sometimes, it's the better one I've tried so far.

Mighty Grocery comes somewhat close, but its interface makes NO sense.. I suppose I just need to get used to it, but it's handy to scan items into Grocery IQ.