IDOING UIS7862 with WRX[Updated with initial review]

Search This thread

gottahavit

Nov 10, 2009
Thanks but why do you think the gray is the top left of the sticker pic? The side of the harness I am showing is the non-clip flat side of the connector which is the left side of the sticker pic. Wouldn't that make the far white wire the upper left of the sticker pic?

EDIT: I think I'm just dumb..let me look at it all again lol.
Were you able to get it working, did it help the noise? Hoping you didn't cook your stereo!

Reactions: just4747

just4747

Jul 18, 2010
Were you able to get it working, did it help the noise? Hoping you didn't cook your stereo!
Hey sorry for the delay. So I haven't wired up the noise filter yet because someone on a Subaru forum told me to try removing the small blade connector bracket from the back of the OEM HU and screw it on the back of the iDoing and connect the factory ground wire connector to it. I hadn't done this or thought to try it so I did and unfortunately it didn't make any difference. He thought because I didn't have the ground connected that some noise was comig through from an unclosed circuit of sorts, but no change sadly.

I will still try the noise filter, hopefully today or this weekend. Shouldn't take long. Not too hopeful but you never know. I will report back.

Question for you - have you figured out any way to re-enable the notifications in the iDoing's custom ROM without root? Obviously they customized it to totally disable all notifications from happening at all or showing up in the pulldown shade. It would be nice to be able to have certain apps show up like they intend to like PowerAmp (for current song playing) and messaging apps. Any idea if this is possible? I have yet to do the ADB commands to get System UI Timer working but I don't think that will help at all.

gottahavit

Nov 10, 2009
Hey sorry for the delay. So I haven't wired up the noise filter yet because someone on a Subaru forum told me to try removing the small blade connector bracket from the back of the OEM HU and screw it on the back of the iDoing and connect the factory ground wire connector to it. I hadn't done this or thought to try it so I did and unfortunately it didn't make any difference. He thought because I didn't have the ground connected that some noise was comig through from an unclosed circuit of sorts, but no change sadly.

I will still try the noise filter, hopefully today or this weekend. Shouldn't take long. Not too hopeful but you never know. I will report back.

Question for you - have you figured out any way to re-enable the notifications in the iDoing's custom ROM without root? Obviously they customized it to totally disable all notifications from happening at all or showing up in the pulldown shade. It would be nice to be able to have certain apps show up like they intend to like PowerAmp (for current song playing) and messaging apps. Any idea if this is possible? I have yet to do the ADB commands to get System UI Timer working but I don't think that will help at all.
I'm actually working on an app(who's main purpose is different) that will provide system overlay notifications to be displayed. There are other apps that allow this as well, tho I've had issues keeping them running on the IDoing. The main purpose will be to mirror notification from your phone without needing a cloud service like the others that do this, but it will also allow you to show the notification you get on the HU.

just4747

Jul 18, 2010
I'm actually working on an app(who's main purpose is different) that will provide system overlay notifications to be displayed. There are other apps that allow this as well, tho I've had issues keeping them running on the IDoing. The main purpose will be to mirror notification from your phone without needing a cloud service like the others that do this, but it will also allow you to show the notification you get on the HU.
That's cool. I actually just downloaded Mighty Text on my iDoing to at least get texts on there and thankfully it has a popup notification window option..otherwise I wouldn't get any notifications from it and would have to go to the app manually to see anything. Would be great to have ongoing notifications of things like music and certain messaging apps like I said in my last post but so far no solutions for that on this custom ROM...
Let us know more about your app when you have it!

just4747

Jul 18, 2010
So I'm trying to figure out where to splice in the noise filter. If the yellow wire is the 12v batt+, I see that it branches off from the main HU connector to two separate yellow wires (one to the Canbus and one to the white connector that connects to the factory harness. Where should I splice in the filter? Not sure whether to cut the yellow after the two yellows join, in that small length before the final black HU connector (not much wire or space to play with there) or somewhere before that at either of the two separate branched yellows. What do you think?

Also where should I wire the filter's black ground wire to? Should I remove the connector from the stock HU chassis ground wire and splice it to that or is it supposed to be spliced into the HU harness's ground wire that goes.to the black connector? Or somewhere else entirely?

Attachments

• 20210611_181716.jpg
    20210611_181716.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

gottahavit

Nov 10, 2009
So I'm trying to figure out where to splice in the noise filter. If the yellow wire is the 12v batt+, I see that it branches off from the main HU connector to two separate yellow wires (one to the Canbus and one to the white connector that connects to the factory harness. Where should I splice in the filter? Not sure whether to cut the yellow after the two yellows join, in that small length before the final black HU connector (not much wire or space to play with there) or somewhere before that at either of the two separate branched yellows. What do you think?

Also where should I wire the filter's black ground wire to? Should I remove the connector from the stock HU chassis ground wire and splice it to that or is it supposed to be spliced into the HU harness's ground wire that goes.to the black connector? Or somewhere else entirely?
personally I'd wire it as close to the plug on the HU as possible if it's to have any benefit you don't want any chance of contamination after the filter before getting into the electronics of the HU.

gottahavit

Nov 10, 2009
I would wire both right off the plug to the HU, it probably doesn't really matter, but that's what I would do. I am skeptical that any of this will matter as I can hear differences in the static based on what's running for apps in the HU(High CPU more weird sounds). What is odd is that it doesn't increase with the volume, which would imply something being introduced post-DAC,, post-AMP which would make me think maybe Ferrite on the 4chan would be best bet, but again it's probably too late. I suspect it's internal interference inside the box post-DAC./AMP

I hope you find the solution, but I suspect only way to solve is to run spdif to a DAC or DSP/AMP, which if you don't have the HK system, would be a pretty good Add to the car. With my HK i'm pretty sure I'd spend a bunch of money to get spdif->RCA->Spkr Level to get to the HK AMP and probable end up with some really messed up sound quality. In my corvette it just wouldnt be worth it as I always drive with the top down and at highway speeds I mostly just care about loud! ;-)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The unit I have boots up in under 20 seconds--it'll probably be longer after I've customized it more, but I really don't mind the wait. I'd rather know my battery is where I left it. It might not be an issue at all, but I'm thinking about wiring in a physical switch to cut power to the unit if needed.
    I was having issues with my battery dying overnight bc the iDoing was staying on in sleep mode. I did buy a new battery in case it was that but I also turned off the setting that causes it to only go to sleep when ACC is off, so now it fully powers down. The boot up time is no issue and it's pretty quick. Much better this way. I think it's in the Factory menu with code 3368 but if you need help finding it let me know.
    Muscle, Lots of Muscle! :)

So here's what I did...
    1) put in the bottom clips,
    2) Holding the bottom clips in bend the vent section to snap in the top, leaving center clips unclips
    3) Now push real hard on the top corners of the screen and housing, until it clips, then repeat on the other size
    4) Hope you never have to take it out!

I'm 6'1 220 and it wasn't easy.
    Alternatively, if you have a pull-up bar laying around, it's pretty easy.
    Thanks but why do you think the gray is the top left of the sticker pic? The side of the harness I am showing is the non-clip flat side of the connector which is the left side of the sticker pic. Wouldn't that make the far white wire the upper left of the sticker pic?

EDIT: I think I'm just dumb..let me look at it all again lol.
    So my unit arrived today:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32955093508.html

Got it to the point of plugging it in to test in the car.

Adding Heating controls vents was a Piece of Cake and this thing looks amazing

Tested:
    Screen: Fast and gorgeous responsive, seems very good in bright sunlight

capacitive buttons:, work well , Reset and reprogrammed and much better. Also Illumination is working with custom colors.

Well Documented low volume buzz... Yep it's there, goes away if you mute the radio. Will look for setting to reduce perhaps as well as talk to IDoing

Harman Kardon Canbus, Works plug and play. One issue that may be related is the Fade controls don't really work to fade to rear as they mute the rear, while balance controls work fine... Talking to IDoing now and they just confirmed that any factory amp radio has this issue.

Wifi 5ghz tether, works flawlessly, get 50mbit off my cell. Not the fastest but more than good enough

Play store/google account setup: works flawlessly. Have installed several apps already

Waze/GPS: works flawlessly

USB: 3 dongles, all work for USB Drives, haven't tested for phone connection

Flac: Works off all 3 usb(one main reason I went with this unit)

4g: Working well with t-mobile, not working with verizon. Verizon shows as full bars, bars when I went more urban, but there are no APN settings and I cant get data to work.

Bluetooth audio: works ok, sound doesn't seem fantastic, but i will probably never use.

Android Auto: Wired works great, can't get wireless to work even though my phone says the head unit supports it. Wired it's very fast and responsive and looks great.

Carplay: works wired and woreless, didn't test much as I don't use apple except for app testing.

Fubo/Video: Works very well screen is gorgeous

Developer options: IDoing gave me codes

Launcher: Pretty flexible with different options.

Got USB Debugging, ADB to work today. In developer setting there is 3 "..." at the top, in there is USB mode, top is host mode, bottom is device mode(ADB).

Once I got ADB going I got SystemUITuner granted permissions to control immersive mode for Waze and the like.

Custom Launcher: Got custom launchers working with a trick to use the setting in Nova to set default launcher. Now Rocking Car Web Guru launcher. Also Like Car Launcher Free Version.

Split screen : woks well and is even remembered as last view on soft boot.

Geekbench: 500+, 1300+ very pleased.

android auto with Head unit reloaded: tested with dev server method. Works well with wireless, but UI layout is pretty bad.

Console USB Adapter: Bought from amazon, works perfectly. Now 4 functioning USB

USB access for File Manager : doesn't work yet

Music Apps: do have access to USB

Automation: Used Macrodroid to start Android auto whenever the phone usb is plugged in, or to start spotifiy if no usb and wifi connects. Will do some more of these.

Overall:
    Bummed about the rear speaker control, will have to see how much it affects my listening, found subwoofer control an tweaked EQ, sound is quite nice, still wish fade worked. Ok next note to others, make sure you calibrate your EQ with your back seats up. I forgot I had put them down to get my bike in and that was half my disappointment with the sound. Yes I still wish I had fade, but this thing sounds Really nice once dialed in.

The buzz is "irritating" that it exists, but unlikely a real issue for me.. Totally inaudible when car is running.
    Otherwise this thing is pretty sweet so far.
    Idoing is reseller of various types of kanged android head units.

Would be good to know factory/manufacturer or unit - sounds like it might be an FYT? You will then be able to know what rom options and mods are available from the forums.

Manufacturer can generally be identified from MCU version, what is the full MCU version listed?
    IDoing is FYT, they are the only ones with the canbus for the HK system in my car, but that's fine for seryser as he/she has base stereo., but with no HK I recommend getting a unit with optical or coax.
    What a good review!!!
    Really "irritating" the permanent buzz. Only dissapear with volume to zero every time I turn on the unit. If somebody find a fix i will be more than happy
    Yes I agree, at tis point it's the only real gripe I have with the unit. The thing is amazing compared to the crap that Subaru put in.
    The issue seems to be pretty common on these chinese units, which is why if I didn't have the HK setup I would have bought one with Optical or Coax. Honestly you can't hear it when listening to music, but... If I ever pull the unit out again I will try to ground the board to see what that does.
    IDoing has "tried" to be helpful, and they are extremely responsive on aliexpress.
    I'm glad you found my review useful.
    The unit I have boots up in under 20 seconds--it'll probably be longer after I've customized it more, but I really don't mind the wait. I'd rather know my battery is where I left it. It might not be an issue at all, but I'm thinking about wiring in a physical switch to cut power to the unit if needed.
    I was having issues with my battery dying overnight bc the iDoing was staying on in sleep mode. I did buy a new battery in case it was that but I also turned off the setting that causes it to only go to sleep when ACC is off, so now it fully powers down. The boot up time is no issue and it's pretty quick. Much better this way. I think it's in the Factory menu with code 3368 but if you need help finding it let me know.
    Muscle, Lots of Muscle! :)

So here's what I did...
    1) put in the bottom clips,
    2) Holding the bottom clips in bend the vent section to snap in the top, leaving center clips unclips
    3) Now push real hard on the top corners of the screen and housing, until it clips, then repeat on the other size
    4) Hope you never have to take it out!

I'm 6'1 220 and it wasn't easy.
    Alternatively, if you have a pull-up bar laying around, it's pretty easy.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone