General IDOING UIS7862 with WRX[Updated with initial review]

Search This thread
I think it's all been done with limited success. I have a Joying coming for my 2003 corevette that is essentially identical except no canbus. I will let yo know if it has the same sounds and will make at least limited attempts at grounding and insulating if it does. If I can improve it on the Joying then I will pull the IDoing out of the WRX and try the same.

Last edited:

abnormalreply

Sep 1, 2012
New York City
IDoing is FYT, they are the only ones with the canbus for the HK system in my car, but that's fine for seryser as he/she has base stereo., but with no HK I recommend getting a unit with optical or coax.
I don't imagine using optical/coax would be compatible with the OEM speakers out of the box? Wouldn't you need some kind of adapter before you can use the optical output with the OEM speakers?

edit: never mind. I assume the optical is supposed to go to an amp.

Last edited:
I don't imagine using optical/coax would be compatible with the OEM speakers out of the box? Wouldn't you need some kind of adapter before you can use the optical output with the OEM speakers?

edit: never mind. I assume the optical is supposed to go to an amp.
you need an amp with optical. the HK in my WRX does not support nor does the bose in my corvette. However the Joying I'm getting does have optical should I ever decide to switch amps in the corvette(not likely it's 18 years old and going strong).

GFinger240

Apr 5, 2008
Just thought I'd chime in, I just bought a 7862 unit from Navifly. The RCA outs of my unit have the same noise that kinda ruins listening to music. My car uses an analog to proprietary optical box to get audio to the factory amp, so I added an optical to analog DAC, and now the sound is crystal clear with no noise whatsoever. If your car uses the line lever out of the radio and not the speaker out (speaker out is the Grey, White, Green and Purple wires), you can use any optical to analog DAC, and there are plenty that are USB powered.

Just thought I'd chime in, I just bought a 7862 unit from Navifly. The RCA outs of my unit have the same noise that kinda ruins listening to music. My car uses an analog to proprietary optical box to get audio to the factory amp, so I added an optical to analog DAC, and now the sound is crystal clear with no noise whatsoever. If your car uses the line lever out of the radio and not the speaker out (speaker out is the Grey, White, Green and Purple wires), you can use any optical to analog DAC, and there are plenty that are USB powered.
Yes I thought about trying that for the Joying I just ordered for the corvette. We'll see how it sounds first. honestly i only hear the static when there is nothing playing, even dead audio in a song I don't hear it.

SO question on this? what DAC did you use to get 4 channel out put control? Most of the ones I see are only 2 channel. DO you have a link to a 4 channel DAC? or 4.1?

UPDATE: ok i found a couple, not really for car. curious what you used? was it for car? how did you power? I'm thinking I really want to do this in my vette.

Last edited:

just4747

Jul 18, 2010
@gottahavit I recently installed the exact same iDoing/Canbus in my 18 WRX with HK system. OP - have you or anyone tried anything further to remove the noise that is heard when no audio is playing and the system is not muted? I have the same constant light white noise/interference/signal sounds coming from mine that seem to change here and there but are constant.

Have you tried any other filters or grounding? I've been researching what to try but it's hard to figure out. It must have something to do with grounding no? There's gotta be something simple we can do to improve it at least somewhat.

@gottahavit I recently installed the exact same iDoing/Canbus in my 18 WRX with HK system. OP - have you or anyone tried anything further to remove the noise that is heard when no audio is playing and the system is not muted? I have the same constant light white noise/interference/signal sounds coming from mine that seem to change here and there but are constant.

Have you tried any other filters or grounding? I've been researching what to try but it's hard to figure out. It must have something to do with grounding no? There's gotta be something simple we can do to improve it at least somewhat.
I have not pulled the system out to try anything. I have a new Joying coming this week for my corvette that if it suffers same issue I will play around with options and let folks here know. I think the best solution to this for those without the HK will be to use the digital out version of this radio(not IDoing) and either go directly to amp or through a DAC. I will try both option and see how it makes out if the Joying has same issue. Then maybe pull the IDoing from the WRX and try(little afraid to pull the radio given how hard it was to seat it).

Honestly it's just an annoyance and it really doesn't affect audio quality to my ears.

abnormalreply

Sep 1, 2012
New York City
Just got my Idoing UIS7862 delivered. I'm testing it powered at my desk and hooked up to my speakers. I can already hear the buzzing :/
I think my desk speakers might be exaggerating it though. I'm gonna try to address this buzz a bit before I uninstall the OEM.

I think I'm going to order a power line filter and some Ferrite clip ons, if I don't need them on my Joying I can always go back an try them on the IDoing.
I put a cheap leftover single din JVC in my vette today to test all the other interface components and it's all working and completely free of buzzing, so now I just swap in the Joying(hoping for friday) when it arrives connected to all the same harnesses.

GFinger240

Apr 5, 2008
SO question on this? what DAC did you use to get 4 channel out put control? Most of the ones I see are only 2 channel. DO you have a link to a 4 channel DAC? or 4.1?

UPDATE: ok i found a couple, not really for car. curious what you used? was it for car? how did you power? I'm thinking I really want to do this in my vette.
I'm using a home audio 2 channel, I have no need for anything else since I have to go 2 channel analog into the MOST interface. The one I'm using is overkill, I had an extra Wyrd4Sound uDAC at home, it can be powered via USB. It can technically be used as a USB DAC as well, but I haven't tried that. I'm eventually getting an amp with an optical in, so making sure that output is clean was my only concern. It really made a big difference in the sound quality, it brought new life to the factory HK system.

abnormalreply

Sep 1, 2012
New York City
I think I'm going to order a power line filter and some Ferrite clip ons, if I don't need them on my Joying I can always go back an try them on the IDoing.
I put a cheap leftover single din JVC in my vette today to test all the other interface components and it's all working and completely free of buzzing, so now I just swap in the Joying(hoping for friday) when it arrives connected to all the same harnesses.
I think an inline power filter might help. I'm running the unit off the 12v pin from a PSU, and the level of buzzing varies a lot depending on where I plug the PSU. The buzzing is highest and almost unbearable when plugged directly into the wall outlet. It drops significantly when the PSU is plugged into a power strip. And it's almost completely gone when I plug the PSU into my UPS (uninterruptable power supply.) It's a sinewave UPS that's supposed to stabilize the output power and remove electrical noise. I'm pleased to see it's doing its job so well, but now I need to figure out how to replicate this without a UPS.

update: I installed the unit in my car and I don't hear any buzzing. I haven't used any kind of power filter or anything to clean up electrical noise. It just works. Now waiting for a 12v to 6v converter to get the OEM camera working.

Last edited:
Well got my unit tonight, 7days from china..not bad. wired it up to the axxess an did quick fit check and powered it up(DON'T FORGET TO TURN ON AMP IN SETTINGS!!!) LOL

quick bluetooth sound test, checked balance and fade. All good.

The good.. Couldn't hear any buzzing on the speakers
The Bad... No buzzing so nothing to tweak in hopes of finding solution to WRX.

BUT it's raining so maybe I just couldn't hear it. Lots more to test tomorrow.

At least it all seems to work.

just4747

Jul 18, 2010
I have not pulled the system out to try anything. I have a new Joying coming this week for my corvette that if it suffers same issue I will play around with options and let folks here know. I think the best solution to this for those without the HK will be to use the digital out version of this radio(not IDoing) and either go directly to amp or through a DAC. I will try both option and see how it makes out if the Joying has same issue. Then maybe pull the IDoing from the WRX and try(little afraid to pull the radio given how hard it was to seat it).

Honestly it's just an annoyance and it really doesn't affect audio quality to my ears.
Cool, well mine is still not fully buttoned up yet if there is anything you can think of that I can test/try. I hate the thought of pushing the HU in all the way without fixing that sound first but I have no good ideas on what to try myself.

Is it worth it to look at the connections at the OEM HK amp side and try one of the noise filters on it? I assume they'd be RCA cables plugged into the amp?

abnormalreply

Sep 1, 2012
New York City
Does anyone know how to have the unit completely turn off using the ACC delay or something else? I set it to 10 seconds and the screen turns off 10 seconds after I shut the car off. But when I go start it up again after an hour, the home screens turns on immediately as if it was on standby instead of booting up from a power off state.

Cool, well mine is still not fully buttoned up yet if there is anything you can think of that I can test/try. I hate the thought of pushing the HU in all the way without fixing that sound first but I have no good ideas on what to try myself.

Is it worth it to look at the connections at the OEM HK amp side and try one of the noise filters on it? I assume they'd be RCA cables plugged into the amp?
So I just went out to my Vette and stuck my ear right to the main speaker and there is the SLIGHTEST of backgrond hiss that goes away when I turn the volume to 0. So same idea as the IDoing, but FAR less noise. I am going to order a power line noise filter and see if that eliminates it, but I can't even hear this when sitting in the car with top up and doors and windows closed.

If you can wait a couple days I'd say have a powerline filter shipped and see what that does. For 10 dollars and 10 minutes to wire it might be worth it if you haven't snapped that sucker in place. I'm a big guy and that took some effort.

Does anyone know how to have the unit completely turn off using the ACC delay or something else? I set it to 10 seconds and the screen turns off 10 seconds after I shut the car off. But when I go start it up again after an hour, the home screens turns on immediately as if it was on standby instead of booting up from a power off state.
That's what it's supposed to do. Yo don't want it to turn off every time you turn off the key. it take 40 seconds to cold boot. It goes to sleep after the delay you set, then after a few days it will power off completely to save battery. If you're worried about battery, I've had no issues.

abnormalreply

Sep 1, 2012
New York City
That's what it's supposed to do. Yo don't want it to turn off every time you turn off the key. it take 40 seconds to cold boot. It goes to sleep after the delay you set, then after a few days it will power off completely to save battery. If you're worried about battery, I've had no issues.
The unit I have boots up in under 20 seconds--it'll probably be longer after I've customized it more, but I really don't mind the wait. I'd rather know my battery is where I left it. It might not be an issue at all, but I'm thinking about wiring in a physical switch to cut power to the unit if needed.

just4747

Jul 18, 2010
Just got my Idoing UIS7862 delivered. I'm testing it powered at my desk and hooked up to my speakers. I can already hear the buzzing :/
I think my desk speakers might be exaggerating it though. I'm gonna try to address this buzz a bit before I uninstall the OEM.
Let us know if any luck. Do you have the HK system too?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So my unit arrived today:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32955093508.html

Got it to the point of plugging it in to test in the car.

Adding Heating controls vents was a Piece of Cake and this thing looks amazing

Tested:
    Screen: Fast and gorgeous responsive, seems very good in bright sunlight

capacitive buttons:, work well , Reset and reprogrammed and much better. Also Illumination is working with custom colors.

Well Documented low volume buzz... Yep it's there, goes away if you mute the radio. Will look for setting to reduce perhaps as well as talk to IDoing

Harman Kardon Canbus, Works plug and play. One issue that may be related is the Fade controls don't really work to fade to rear as they mute the rear, while balance controls work fine... Talking to IDoing now and they just confirmed that any factory amp radio has this issue.

Wifi 5ghz tether, works flawlessly, get 50mbit off my cell. Not the fastest but more than good enough

Play store/google account setup: works flawlessly. Have installed several apps already

Waze/GPS: works flawlessly

USB: 3 dongles, all work for USB Drives, haven't tested for phone connection

Flac: Works off all 3 usb(one main reason I went with this unit)

4g: Working well with t-mobile, not working with verizon. Verizon shows as full bars, bars when I went more urban, but there are no APN settings and I cant get data to work.

Bluetooth audio: works ok, sound doesn't seem fantastic, but i will probably never use.

Android Auto: Wired works great, can't get wireless to work even though my phone says the head unit supports it. Wired it's very fast and responsive and looks great.

Carplay: works wired and woreless, didn't test much as I don't use apple except for app testing.

Fubo/Video: Works very well screen is gorgeous

Developer options: IDoing gave me codes

Launcher: Pretty flexible with different options.

Got USB Debugging, ADB to work today. In developer setting there is 3 "..." at the top, in there is USB mode, top is host mode, bottom is device mode(ADB).

Once I got ADB going I got SystemUITuner granted permissions to control immersive mode for Waze and the like.

Custom Launcher: Got custom launchers working with a trick to use the setting in Nova to set default launcher. Now Rocking Car Web Guru launcher. Also Like Car Launcher Free Version.

Split screen : woks well and is even remembered as last view on soft boot.

Geekbench: 500+, 1300+ very pleased.

android auto with Head unit reloaded: tested with dev server method. Works well with wireless, but UI layout is pretty bad.

Console USB Adapter: Bought from amazon, works perfectly. Now 4 functioning USB

USB access for File Manager : doesn't work yet

Music Apps: do have access to USB

Automation: Used Macrodroid to start Android auto whenever the phone usb is plugged in, or to start spotifiy if no usb and wifi connects. Will do some more of these.

Overall:
    Bummed about the rear speaker control, will have to see how much it affects my listening, found subwoofer control an tweaked EQ, sound is quite nice, still wish fade worked. Ok next note to others, make sure you calibrate your EQ with your back seats up. I forgot I had put them down to get my bike in and that was half my disappointment with the sound. Yes I still wish I had fade, but this thing sounds Really nice once dialed in.

The buzz is "irritating" that it exists, but unlikely a real issue for me.. Totally inaudible when car is running.
    Otherwise this thing is pretty sweet so far.
    After a lot of reviews and reading I just ordered a 9" Idoing with CanBus for my 2018 WRX with Harman Kardon. A lot of positive reviews from WRX owners, but not seeing a lot of love(or hate) for the Idoing hear on XDA. It's nearly identical to the Joying, but Joying will not support the HK system in my car.

The system is an android 10, UIS 7862 4+64. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32955093508.html

I'm curious what custom options I have in terms of UI, ROMs, Root,, apps?
    I'm guessing from what I read(or lack there of) ROMs are a no go, but what about root and other customization options?

Sorry long time rooter and custom ROM user for android phones and tablets, but total noob to android head units.

I have a Kenwood with wireless android auto in my old car and was going to move it to this one, but absolutely hate Android Auto almost as much as I hate mirrorlink in the stock HU in my WRX(shame on you subaru). Also the kit to install it from crutchfield cost nearly as much as the android unit and canbus shipped from china, so figured i'd take a chance.

If it doesn't work out I'll go with the kenwood, but really hopeful this will be a winner. I spent a lot of time on chat with them and they are extremely responsive to questions(really like live chat) where a question to Joying took 3 days to get a response.

I know there is little chance the 4G module will work in the US(IDoing says it works with tmobile) so expecting to use wifi tether with my phone with native apps and pretend android auto doesn't exist. Other option is put a spare phone with sim permanently connected to USB, but unsure if USB tether will work.

I will keep reading, but any thoughts or pointers are welcome. Just don't tell me to replace my HK system, I know not everyone likes it, but I love it ;-)

FAIR WARNING!!!! After a year with no issue, My IDoing fried itself today!! I was driving and it shut down and for about 1 minute I could smell burnt electronics. This was a plug n play install so no cutting, no splicing, no soldering. I am in the process of seeing what IDoing will do for me, but I expect the answer is nothing since it is now over a year old.

Update: Well at least IDoing is talking to me. I pulled the unit out today and put the Stock stereo back in(UGGGH). At least nothing else got fried.

Update 2: So they are saying that they want me to pull the unit off the mounting trim and mail it to them and they will send me a knew one. I'm assuming this is going to cost me 100 bucks in shipping and need to wait a month or more, but it's better response than I expect.

Update 3: They "say" that once I give them tracking number for the unit, they will ship new unit and all i have to pay for is return shipping(30 dollars)

Final Update: Well it cost me a lot more than the USPS web site inferred (85 dollars), but they shipped a replacement the same day I gave them the tracking for the return. New unit showed up in just over a week, Unit looks new installed in less than an hour and all works great, software looks to be nearly identical except the AA software that it came with support wireless out of the box, so small bons. Unfortunate the original unit fried itself after a year, but considering it was out of warranty I have to commend Idoing on how they handled this, now I just need to remember all the tweaks I had installed ;-)
    Roms, you have 2 options both are "Lite" versions meaning you have to buy the other features.

No real need for twrp.

Best bet make sure it works with Android auto wireless
    Also pay close attention to the button layouts for the different types of screens.
    Most development will be in the "Android auto" fourm
    Also ask the seller to provided the zlink activation codes
    Hmm, I'm curious why I would use AA at all with this as opposed to running apps on the unit with wifi tether? I've used AA Mirror in the past with my kenwood, but would prefer to avoid that path if possible.

It should work with AA, but not wireless as far as I know.
    Hi gottahavit,

I was just looking at this model on aliexpress and this post comes in just in time as you would say. I have a 2017 STI with no HK

What is your experience with the Mic for calls? does it retain the factory mic or do we have to plug in a new one?
    You mention codes for Dev, can you share these?
    The console USB Adapter - Which one did you use? do you have a link?
    Have you tested ODB2 with apps like Torque?
    The External GPS antenna is it required for it to work?
    What about the 4G antennas?

thanks so much!
    So first, IDoing have been fantastic in helping with the right purchase and the support, but that said this suffers from a lot of issues the other MFG units do. If you had HK I'd def recommend the IDoing as it's plug and play works great.

However if you don't have the HK I might suggest you get a version with optical or coax out. I think Joying and Daisata sell the same unit but with one or the other cabling.

I don't really make calls, but have tested a couple and was told the mic is ok. No you can't keep the stock mic or GPS.
    Codes:3368 for factory, 7171 for Launchers
    USB: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DJ4KVQ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 works perfectly.
    No ODB2 here, should be the same as the Joying in another thread.
    You need the GPS if you want waze or maps on the unit vs AA or Carplay. I just mounted it on the top of the unit and it works great.
    4G works fine with Tmobile, I tested with a Mint mobile trial, but cannot get proper APNs in for Verizon SIm to work(still on my hit list)

I recommend the coax as so many of these unit suffer from some form of ground loop interference which is just annoying even if it doesn't really affect the sound. I had no choice given the HK system

Even with the HK this thing cranks our a lot more power than the POS subaru unit..

These things are great and all the work of install is getting the old unit out. It's not perfect but leaps and bounds above stock.

The other reason to go with Joying is you'll get more support here than you will with the IDoing(very specialized to subaru).

If you do buy from IDoing just chat with them first they will help you pick the proper unit and any canbus for your car.

I would definitely go with the UIS7862 version, as this thing is fast!